New Orvis Sling pack

Fredrick

Fredrick

Here is the new and improved sling pack from orvis
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3H6P&dir_id=758&group_id=17289&cat_id=23418&subcat_id=23419

I will be selling an old-model Orvis sling pack very soon...

Knew when the old one went on clearance, this was coming.

Outside of the forceps sheath on the strap, I'm not sure if I'm that impressed.. and I know this is shallow, but its certainly more, err, colourful and bold than the old version.

Seriously, is Fishpond eating Orvis' lunch so badly they had to go emulate their "technical" designs or something?

Price went up, and the dorky little trout zipper pulls seem to have been replaced with orange (?!) cords.. Huh.

Yeah, I'm banking on my current one giving my years of service.

PS: The old one is still available on clearance price, for those of you who aren't sure what's going on here with the new one..
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=96Y1&dir_id=758&group_id=21390&cat_id=21510&subcat_id=21511

D-rings, looks like this new one has D-rings...

Fishpond has got some nice stuff, but not much in the way of over-the-shoulder packs. That new satchel they have looks OK, but kinda big maybe? The lumbar/fanny packs, chest packs, and 2 year world fishing excursion back packs don't appeal to me much though they look like good products from what I've seen in shops.

Kev

When you watch that video, watch the guy and how he strips line out of his reel. I personally pull line out with my pinky closest to the reel but he turns his hand over and has his pointer finger closest to the reel.

Anyone else do it that way?

PennKev wrote:
Fishpond has got some nice stuff, but not much in the way of over-the-shoulder packs. That new satchel they have looks OK, but kinda big maybe?

Was mostly commenting on the garish colour choices from Fishpond, although I do find their jacquard oddly compelling, I wouldn't want any more than the one strip of it on the wading belt I own.

ryguyfi wrote:
When you watch that video, watch the guy and how he strips line out of his reel. I personally pull line out with my pinky closest to the reel but he turns his hand over and has his pointer finger closest to the reel.

Anyone else do it that way?

Yes I do, doesn't everyone?

And it's still designed to go over the right shoulder. You know, the one involved with all the casting. sigh.

jdaddy wrote:
And it's still designed to go over the right shoulder. You know, the one involved with all the casting. sigh.

Have you tried it? I'd think if it went over the left shoulder, it'd be more useless because if (when!) it slid down to "creel position," your arm would bump it constantly.

I never had an issue with it riding my right shoulder. A big complaint about it is from lefties who complain they can't put it on their left shoulder.

gfen wrote:
jdaddy wrote:

Have you tried it? I'd think if it went over the left shoulder, it'd be more useless because if (when!) it slid down to "creel position," your arm would bump it constantly.

I never had an issue with it riding my right shoulder. A big complaint about it is from lefties who complain they can't put it on their left shoulder.

I haven't had any trouble with it either and that is after a whole year of hard fishing. I've even taken it on a couple trips with the two-handed rod for steel and no problems casting there either.

Kev

Guess I will use my $25 off $50 and get one of the old ones at Downingtown if they still have them.

jdaddy wrote:
Guess I will use my $25 off $50 and get one of the old ones at Downingtown if they still have them.

If they don't have them in stock, they will order it for you since that coupon is only good for in store purchases. Also, that coupon if for full price merchandise, but they will generally honor it on sale merchandise as well.

Fredrick wrote:
Here is the new and improved sling pack from orvis
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3H6P&dir_id=758&group_id=17289&cat_id=23418&subcat_id=23419

gosh, that's ugly - I much prefer the all green.
slung over my casting shoulder hasn't given me any problems, and I fished all last season wearing it....

Speaking of ugly, they have bastardized the entire safe passage line up it looks like.

Question for you old school sling packers. I just picked one up (on sale with $25 coupon) and am a little confused by the orientation. This definitely goes over the right (casting) shoulder, correct? And this doesn't seem to bother anybody? Any thoughts as to why it was designed this way?

Can't complain of course--it was $15, plus I got the 12 free flies with coupon. Just asking.

Yes, it does.

No, it doesn't.

Because only 13% of the population is considered left hand dominate, and to design something that ignores ~87% of the population would be utterly stupid.

When you sling it around, it comes under your left arm and you can use your right, dominate, arm to operate it while reaching over your gut. This means you won't have to spin it around further, a bonus when you use the gut belt. If you opt to not use the gut belt, when it starts to slip around and down, it ends up under your left arm, so you don't whack your casting arm into it.

I also think its a matter of balance, but that's my personal opinion.

I get that it's designed for right handers--but since we have rods in our right hand, shouldn't it be oriented so that we can get stuff out with our left--like a hemostat, for example?

It's great pack, don't get me wrong. Just wanted to be sure I had this thing on correctly.

Its never affected me, but then I usually have the fish in a net if I'm going to use the hemo.

Also, I think things like that are meant to be clipped to teh front strap, or used in the removable box which was meant to be attached to teh front (never bothered with that).

Try it for a few trips, you'll find its actually a pretty fantastic setup, and you'll learn to apply it in the ways that fit you best.

I second gfen's comment. The pack is incredibly convenient and easy to use. If you like to carry 15 fly boxes with you then this is not the pack for you. I have the older version and the removable compartment that can be put on the front or the back is relatively useless in my opinion in that it is a bit awkward and I don't like the security of the plastic clip so I just leave it at home.

I have not used the new version yet but the model I have is my favorite pack to fish with hands down.

Back