New Orleans

marcq

marcq

Just got in before weather went to crap. Fished friday in down in the Louisiana marshes about a half hour from the city. Wrnt out with captian Ryan Fredric. First time doing flats fishing and I hot to saw it is the coolest thing I have hever done. Took alittle to get the who thing down but managed one fish. 27 pound redfish. Ill give you a run down on the whole trip.

Captain Ryan picked me up at my hotel aroud 6. We stoped for gas then grabbed a bite to eat at a little breakfast place where like seven other guides were with clients. Parking lot was full with flats boats. Everone chatting it up between each other. Then got on the road and got on ths water at 8. Ripped through the marshes and started fishing. Its something else going forty miles per hour though a salt creek on one od those little boats. It was a cold day so fish were slow and down deeper. Saw fish about twenty minutes into the trip.they kinda remind me of carp but fight harder and when they take the fly its out of this world. I highly recommend doing it if you havent. Ill post pic when I get to my computer.

I thought about that when I was down in NO a few months ago, but couldn't escape the sightseeing in and around the city itself. One of these days...

The city itself is awsome. Full out brass bands in the street and every bars has a band going and wasn't disappointed by any of them. Kinda reminds me of parts if philly except there is a way bigger music. I could see myself moving there. Still waiting ro get better pictures from the guide.

Thats a great looking fish. Congrats. I have cought lots of them in the Keys. But they are nowwhere near that big. Nice job.

GenCon

Awesome. Thanks for sharing that, but now my bucket list just got longer.

This is one of the worst time of year to go to. I lucked out with weather although it was cold. Had a lot of shots of fish mostly my fault spooking them. The other ones were ganging deep. Water was 46 at the highest. Usually they get real active at 50. If you never been to NO I highly recommend it. The food is the best ive ever hand bars and great tons of great music and giant redfish and black drums.

i'm off there on the 21st of feb. we were doing NOLA to Miami but decided to reverse the trip due to Mardi Gras. Now we start in Miami on the 15th. its not a fishing trip though.

I have been advised by Her Indoors though that if i am very good and behave nicely in the car, i may get half a day in Homosassa Springs for reds.

i hope the weather holds, if anything cooler weather would be a plus - i found bonefishing way too hot and uncomftable, and tbh not for me.

I went many years ago and had a blast, way before I started fly fishing. Make sure to sample the local culture, I forget her name.

bloody hell thats a big fish - i couldnt see the pics at work !

way to go. not bad for a days work huh ?

By far the funnest fish I have ever caught on the fly. Its so visual. The fly is in front of the fish next second he is gulping the fly down. A hard strip set and he give you a couple of big head shakes and starts taking line off the reel. You get them close to the boat then theu take half of what the took on their first run back out.

Back