New Nymphing Outfit

J

Joerugs

I just purchased an outfit from BigY. Coming tomorrow. I'm wondering if it will be a pleasant, noticeable difference from my 9' 6w combo set up to the new 10' 3w nymphing set up? Also, any suggestions on setting up the leader for high sticking? I do like a bright sighter segment.

Yes you will notice a huge difference. You will probably find the new setup much lighter. Also I personally like 10ft rods that extra foot is a big advantage for getting the most out if your drifts.

As far as leader setup, there are so many sources of info out there. Ive tried it all, but have come back to just cutting the tippet off my regular dry fly leaders and attching about 18” of sighter material (I use 8 lb amnesia and then 4-5 feet of 4x. This leaves enough fly line out of my rod tip to be useful when casting. I fished mono rigs for a few years, never really saw the benefit. I am starting to think it is all marketing at this point but to each their own.

I'm sure you've figured out what works for you at this point almost 2 months later but I'll weigh in anyways in the hopes that it might help. The true advantage of Euro nymphing as a technique when done properly is that it eliminates sag in the line which gives you MUCH better contact with your flies and control of your drift. That is achieved by the very thin Euro specific line but more importantly a very long (20 feet or more) of relatively light leader. I have found that using just 25 feet of 8 or 10 lb tri-color sighter mono (I learned the hard way that using the tri-color sighter mono makes it waaaay easier to see your rig as opposed to just clear mono and if you want a cheaper alternative try the 10 lb colored Amnesia) attached to my sighter (which is an 8 lb test bi-color slinky with tippet rings on both ends) then 5 or 6 feet (depending on depth) 6X or 7X tippet to your fly or flies. Using this lighter leader & tippet gives your bugs a more natural drift because the thinner diameter cuts down on drag. I would recommend going with a single fly until you get the hang of casting which is very different than casting with a standard fly line and leader. Because learning to cast these rigs is such a departure from regular fly casting and line control I would highly recommend checking out some of the many videos on YouTube from guys like Devin Olsen, Lance Egan or Pennsylvania's own George Daniel where they break down every aspect of tight line nymphing. This will significantly reduce your learning curve and once you figure this stuff out I promise you'll be very happy with the results and you will be catching fish in places you used to walk right over and more and bigger fish than you thought possible. Cheers and Tight Lines 😃

Last edited:
I have two Euro-Nymph fly rod/reel combos. Orvis Clearwater and Orvis Recon.

I like them both and also the euro-nymph fishing method. I am much better at this than indicator fishing which I have always done with hired guides.

That said, my now go to fly fishing tactic is soft hackle wet flies and silli worms or squirmey wormies.

Olive being the preffered color. The trout where I fish like this color more than any shade of red.

Back