New money- old idea?

Acristickid

Acristickid

If there was ever a sport or hobby where gear or supplies were pondered and scutinized more than Fly Fishing I would be suprised. (and in huge multitudes I might add)

Well, I was thinking that most areas of the sport have been saturated with equipment of every kind and by made by several different makers. New and improved- hehe

One area that seems to be open still (although I have done zero research on) based on not seeing much of this apparell on stream. Is shirts, sweaters and hats marketed as "camo or low visability". I think an entity could market this low profile line.

I know the hunting crowd is aware of many makers but I think money could be made in the FF market with this "line".

I am in the market for some camo stuff or at least low visability gear. Not sure if my blue or green shirt really made a difference- but hey it's fly fishing- Why risk it?

Anyone have any thoughts?

If you can scrounge up the investors and R&D, I'll handle the sales & HR end!!!

About 10 yrs ago there were shirts that had a ripple pattern that was marketed as being "camo or low visibility". It may have been geared for the saltwater flats crowd since I have never any.

I'd be curious as to what is low vis to fish vs the definition according to us. Camo would work probably, but not too sure about what colors would be best. Who knows... it could be pink.

I'll stick with drab colors though.

David- I am not usually the idea guy. I fancy myself as a salesman- that's the easy part for me. Now raising capital that's the tough part- I would sit in on the meetings though.

well see if my new loop grey checkered opti jacket has an effect on brookies. i like to cast to them before they know im there anyway......

acristickid wrote:
David- I am not usually the idea guy. I fancy myself as a salesman- that's the easy part for me. Now raising capital that's the tough part- I would sit in on the meetings though.

Well then, I call our first meeting to decide who will get the money for us...we'll hold our first board meeting on the stream to be followed up by another meeting at Aliotto's!

Does tweed qualify as low vis?

Attachments

• tay_salmon_fishing.jpg
    tay_salmon_fishing.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 6
>>I am in the market for some camo stuff or at least low visability gear. >>

Go to Sears (or maybe Wally-World, I dunno..) and get some dark green ****ies 2-pocket long sleeve work shirts. Get them one size bigger than your usual size. This helps keep you cooler in hot weather. If they don't have dark green, get the mustard tan color and dye it with forest green Rit.

They're great, they're durable and they're cheap. The more you wash them, the better and more comfortable they get. I have a bunch of those 8-pocket Columbia/Orvis/Bass Pro knock-off shirts with the the vented backs and the velcro rod holder with the sailfish logo, etc.. It's all nonsense, IMO. I seldom wear them any more.

One good dark green ****ies is worth the whole bunch of them.

Stevie B nice find. So it does exist.

RleeP- good ideas. My buddy just dyed his vest and it came out with a slightly purple tint. After one day fishing with that thing he dyed it again quickly- better the second time. No one wants to hear "Nice purple vest".

You could call it H2cam0.

The problem with camo patterns, as JayL alluded to, is that they are made to catch the buyer, not to be unseen by prey. The patterns are all fine and all. The problem is that they use UV brighteners to make "sharp" patterns. Further, those detergents that "make colors brighter", yup, UV brighteners in the detergent. Many animals see in the UV range better than humans, including deer and trout. For trout, they say the evolutionary reason is that many predatory birds have lots of UV reflectors in their feathers. You think you're wearing camo but to a trout you look an awful lot like a big bird hovering over the water.

You know how you're shoelaces glow under a blacklight? Well, a shirt with UV brighteners, even a camo one, does the same in the vision of a deer or trout.

They sell UV deadeners, both the spray type and detergents, they are typically found in bowhunting sections. Also go to the local hardware store, or walmart, and get yourself a black light bulb. Take a camo shirt, or any shirt you plan on wearing, put it under a blacklight, and spray till you take the glow out...

Don't forget the to include the "breathable" headnet, hat and gloves for the "super stealthy" anglers.

When you get the capital funding thing worked out let me know I'd also like to sit in.

littlelehigh,

If you're insinuating that "breathable" is a marketing ploy, you should reconsider. I love my breathable jacket, and it can be worn in all but the hottest weather. Waders too.

Your first product should be a camo fishing vest. A guy can buy camo shirts and hats anywhere so the competition is intense. Try to buy a camo vest - they don't exist. Provide a choice of several popular camo patterns that would match shirts and hats someone could buy at a place like Cabela's like Mossy Oak Break-Up or Realtree.

There are camo vests , i've seen them , don,t know what company makes them but consider using fish in the camo pattern i'll bet you get some bites.

Back