M

mhb2

Good afternoon,

I've just joined the forum. Its raining here in the northwest as I'm sure it is elsewhere in Pa. I've been a spin caster all my life and at 55 its losing its appeal. I've been out 4 times this year and caught and released quite a few fish. I've been talking for years about getting into F.F. and this is the year. We have alot of beautiful streams in the N.W. that are only minutes from where I live.
I've stopped and talked with 3 fly shops about equipment and advice. The 1st shop just wanted to sell me a 80 dollar combo and advised me to try it for a while and upgrade after I decided to stick with it. The second 2 shops, while a bit more high end both showed me what price ranges were available and recommended a 5 wt line and rod of whatever range rod that felt good to me.
I also inquired about lessons to get started, which I feel is really important to learn the correct methods to pratice. I've read quite a few posts about the 1st catch and while I don't think it's going to be easy, I do look forward to the challenge and day I will be able to post (my first fish). Going from knowing nothing about F.F. a couple of weeks ago to reading and talking to some great guys I realize how much there is to learn which brings me to my first question.
I am going after trout on mid size streams and maybe the river once in awhile. A rod, reel and line for 5 wt. is what it's sounds like I need, but a mid flex or tip flex? While I understand the speed of the casting, do you loose feel from a tip flex?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

mhb2

here's the main difference, in my eyes atleast. your mid flex rod is like the workhorse. Its the most versatile, and probably what you should start with. It can do everything with ease, and if you're getting one fly rod, buy a mid flex. I use a 5 wt. tip flex rod, but I started with a mid flex. Tip flex rods are usually cannons, more powerful, and generate faster line speed due to the overall stiffness of the rod. But, the downside is, in short range or delicate situations, tip flexes aren't always the best option. Once you are an experienced caster, handling these situations shouldn't be too tough, but for now, go mid flex.

Welcome to the forum. Having recently gone through this as well, I can say that a 8 - 9 foot 5 wt rod with medium/fast action will suit your needs.

Welcome mhb2. Always good to see some one else from nwpa on here. I won't even attempt to answer your rod flex question as I am no expert. But you will get plenty of good advice here from others. Again welcome aboard.

mhb,
Welcome. Don't overanalyze fly rod terminology too much at this point in your progression. My personal opinion based on 30+ years casting fly rods, is that much of the terminology is just buzz designed to sell the latest fly rod. Many companies have different standards for what constitutes "tip flex" or "fast action" etc.
For what its worth, "tip flex" and "fast" generally mean the same thing: this would be a rod that feels a bit stiffer and when you flex it, it won't bend as far down the rod but will bend more toward the tip end. Rods like this tend to be more expensive and better suited to casting in wind, long distances, and for nymphing with lots of weight on the line. You don't really lose "feel" with a fast fly rod but they do tend to be less forgiving and, in my opinion, are not the best choice for beginners
My advice would be to get a budget fly rod of 5Wt and about 8' in length with a "medium" or "mid-flex" action.
The $80 rod quoted to you is at the low end of the price spectrum and where I'd recommend starting.

Fishidiot wrote:
My advice would be to get a budget fly rod of 5Wt and about 8' in length with a "medium" or "mid-flex" action.
The $80 rod quoted to you is at the low end of the price spectrum and where I'd recommend starting.
I agree 100%. If you decide flyfishing is not for you your not out alot of money. Later if you do decide to upgrade to a better outfit you can use your first rod as a back up.

I am not on the 5 wt. train for beginners...

if you want a trout rod, buy a 4 wt. If you want a rod to fish bass, trout, panfish, pike, steelhead, and for swinging big streamers, contact a local builder (their are dozens just on here), and get yourself a 6 wt.

i own a 2, 5, 6, and 8 wt, and actually prefer to fish my 6 wt. for even the smallest of dries (not tricos, 20 and bigger).

Thanks for all the information. After all the information I've received, I order a 8'-6" mid flex 5 WT rod. Will start casting instructions this coming week and lessons next weekend. While it seems somewhat overwhelming to date, I can't wait to get started.
Thank you to everyone for the replies and looking forward to hopefully meeting and fishing with you.

Mhb2

Back