L

lightningmike

Hello my name is Mike . I live near Harlansburg Pa. ( Volant address). I have been fly fishing for a long time , but I never payed much attention to hatches . the thing is I never done much trout fishing, mostly panfish. As of now I getting more into it , I got some books on building my own rod out of wood, and a book on hatches. I joined this forum to find out what is going on in my area . I didn't know it was here untill yesterday.

Mike

Welcome to PAFF MIKE you'll enjoy it here and there are others from Harlansburg that visit here. There are folks on here from all over too and they will help you if you ask for it. Don't worry about asking questions. WELCOME

Welcome Mike. There are a couple folks from your area who are regulars here. I'm sure they'll chime in. I like to hit the white fly hatch for smallmouths up your way on Slippery Rock Creek. Ever done that yourself?

welcome to the forum Mike! I'm from harlansburg also, right downtown!!LOL!

lightningmike wrote:
Hello my name is Mike . I live near Harlansburg Pa. ( Volant address). I have been fly fishing for a long time , but I never payed much attention to hatches . the thing is I never done much trout fishing, mostly panfish. [color=CC0000]As of now I getting more into it , I got some books on building my own rod out of wood[/color], and a book on hatches. I joined this forum to find out what is going on in my area . I didn't know it was here untill yesterday.

Mike

Welcome aboard Mike. I'd love to hear about how to make a rod out of wood. Sounds interesting.

Hi mike! Live kinda right up the street in OH. I have also been fly-fishing panfish and bass for a while and am hooked on trout now. Can't say I've had a ton of success yet with trout, but hopefully that will change once I start actually fishing for them more. I'll be down your way a lot come spring.

The book I have is by John Betts, Making Strip Built Fly Rods from Various Woods on a Lathe. It is a great book , I got from Barns and Nobel for about $15. I have already built two rods, one from hickory and the other from red oak. They are both 8' 2 section rods. The book tells you how to make the tools ,and also the ferrules and guides. You can eather use 4 strips or 6 to make a blank. I glued 4 strips of wood together to make a section and tured them on a lathe I built. I like to build things. Next I am going to make my own reels. How do you put photos on here?

Mike

be cool to check out those rods Mike! I got my girlfriend one or the reel building kits from ecletic angler, anxious to get at it after the holiday crap.
maybe this coming summer during the whitefly hatch, I'll host a cookout and some beers after an evening of fishing, the whitefly minijam! we have lots of folks in our general area and quite a few others that travel up to fish it.

lightningmike wrote:
The book I have is by John Betts, Making Strip Built Fly Rods from Various Woods on a Lathe. It is a great book , I got from Barns and Nobel for about $15. I have already built two rods, one from hickory and the other from red oak. They are both 8' 2 section rods. The book tells you how to make the tools ,and also the ferrules and guides. You can eather use 4 strips or 6 to make a blank. I glued 4 strips of wood together to make a section and tured them on a lathe I built. I like to build things. Next I am going to make my own reels. How do you put photos on here?

Mike

As a former rabid woodworker, I find that very interesting. I would like to get a hold of that book sometime. Did they recommend red oak and hickory? Red oak would seem to splinter/crack too easily and hickory is tough as nails. Imagine a rod made out of a highly figured soft maple. With brushed stainless hardware. Hmmmmm.

jdaddy wrote:
As a former rabid woodworker, I find that very interesting. I would like to get a hold of that book sometime.

Buy it?

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Strip-Built-Various-Woods-Lathe/dp/1571884114/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1293655034&sr=8-1

Bikerfish ,I am 3 miles up the road from you . I have the hydraulic shop. Stop in and I will show you what I am working on.

Mike

jdaddy wrote:
lightningmike wrote:

Mike

As a former rabid woodworker, I find that very interesting. I would like to get a hold of that book sometime. Did they recommend red oak and hickory? Red oak would seem to splinter/crack too easily and hickory is tough as nails. Imagine a rod made out of a highly figured soft maple. With brushed s
tainless hardware. Hmmmmm.
I am thinking about making one from poplar, and also locust.

Back