New Member, Old Gear

O

OlGunner

[For those who don’t like to read, here’s the summary: Never fly-fished; Having great-granddad’s bamboo rod restored; Am looking forward to a great new pastime!]

New member here, and brand new fly-fisher. So new, in fact, that I haven’t even tried it yet. :)
The sad fact is that although I grew up on Lake Erie and did a lot of spin fishing as a youth, I haven’t wet bait of any kind in several decades.
Last summer, though, as part of an effort to get outside more and lose some weight, I bought a kayak, was reminded how much I love the water, and decided I was going to start fishing again this year.

Recently, as I was considering what equipment I might need, an old memory surfaced. My father passed away some years ago and I inherited his sporting gear. Among the items stashed in a gun cabinet was an old shotgun case containing a fly rod. It’s not a fancy rod, was never an expensive rod, and it’s seen its better days, but I remember it from my childhood. I knew it was something special, and not just because my father used to take it out from time to time, but because it was the last fly rod owned and used by my great-grandfather.

My dad’s father cut and ran when Dad was still a baby. My grandmother moved back in with her parents, and my great-granddad, “Ted” McQuown, ended up raising my dad.
I never got to meet Ted—he passed away the year before I was born—but I share his middle name and he always held sort of a mythical place in my life. Ted was an auto mechanic, a dirt farmer, a salesman, and an avid outdoorsman. He loved to hunt, to camp and, most of all, to fish. He taught my old man how to "be a man” (back before “manly” became a pejorative descriptor), and my old man passed on many of those lessons to me.

Fly-fishing, however, was one part of the legacy I skipped. Until now. :)

A few weeks ago, I dug out that old shotgun case, pulled out the rod, and decided it is in good enough shape to be restored and put back into service.

The reel is an Ocean City 90 Automatic, and when I started looking online for info on it I kept seeing the name “Al Stover.” Turns out he and a friend operate the “bamboo-rod-works” website and offer a free identification service. I sent them a bunch of photos and they told me the 8.5’ bamboo rod was made by South Bend, likely in the ‘40s.
The reel, I was told, is the first generation of the model, placing it between 1950-53.
Since my great-granddad died in 1960, this all seems to fit the story.

The reel was loaded with old monofilament line (which had me a bit confused), but with Al Stover’s guidance, I opened the reel and started removing the old line. After pulling off a good 50+ yards of the monofilament, I realized there was backing line behind it. It felt like waxed, braided line and struck me as fairly heavy, and I left it in place when I sent the reel to be cleaned and serviced.
Mr. Stover later called to tell me it’s actually old silk fly-line.
I had thought it was rather heavy, but Al tells me it’s the finest-gauge untapered silk line he’s recovered. He’s currently cleaning and reconditioning it, and someday I may find out if it’s still fishable.

The rod has had some amateur repairs in the past, so I asked Mark Frey at Bamboo Rod Works to clean it up, re-do the repairs correctly, and basically do whatever is necessary to get it back into fishing condition.
I also asked them to add a hook keeper for me, but instructed them to leave the cork handle as it is. That’s chewed up a bit because my dad, and I assume his grandfather, would stick his hook in there while walking along the stream.
I don't figure that damage will affect how it fishes, so it will remain part of the rod’s history.

I’ll try to add a couple pics below, the first of which is regrettably faded almost beyond recognition. It’s of my great-grandad’s hunting/fishing camp somewhere in western PA.
If you could make out the faces, you would see my great-grandparents, my grandmother, my dad, and an unidentified young woman. Her presence would suggest this was before my mom came into the picture, so the photo was likely taken in the mid-50s.
I like to think that “my” fly rod was hanging on the wall just inside that door.

Anyway, that’s my long and rambling introduction. I am thrilled to find this site and am sure I’ll be learning a great deal from those of you who’ve been here a while.

I’m living in western Lancaster County, by the way, so if you happen to be fishing along the Chickies or Donegal or Pequea and see a tall, gray-haired, obvious newbie, fumbling to tie on a fly or struggling to free one from a tree branch above him, please feel free to say hello.
And if you can stop laughing long enough to offer a tip or two, they will be gratefully accepted!

Big-Gun-Camp.jpg

01-Rod-Reel.jpg

Welcome.

I enjoyed the story, thanks for sharing it.

welcome to the site, and welcome to flyfishing!! great story! lots of good folks here, and lots of help will be available. There are quite a few of us here that love fishing with vintage gear, so your not alone!!

You are certainly most welcome here. Nice Introduction. Please ask questions, offer advice and whatever else can be done on a message board. Were you graced with any flies. I know we'd love to see those as well.

Awesome post!
I live in lancaster too and I won't make fun of you on the water but I may spark a conversation.
Enjoy the sport !

Welcome! Believe me "old dogs" can learn new tricks. I tell people that if you can drive nails you can fly fish. The motion is the same.imo. Lots of good people here and ask your questions and answers will be there. You might look at a Trout Unlimited Chapter near you. The Jam in May is a great place to meet and greet. GG

OlGunner,

Good luck on your getting into fly-fishing. I enjoy a number of activities, including age-level basketball and wild turkey hunting, but fly-fishing is the most fascinating. There are a lot of helpful, knowledgeable people who frequent this site, and you can profit from their help.

Your vintage gear might make many envious of how you're starting! :) I imagine as you go along you'll accumulate much more.

If you have a fly shop nearby, I believe the proprietors can set you up with a selection of flies that will work near where you live and might even help you learn to use your gear.

Again, good luck on your journey into fly-fishing.

I enjoyed the post since I recently posted about reconditioning my grandfather's Orvis Battenkill bamboo fly rod and am now a member of his R&G club in the Poconos where I plan to fly fish for the rest of my life.

My father died about a year ago and I have his fly rods as well. I also have my grandfather's shotgun which is a Parker 20 gauge side by side.
I am thinking about getting back into bird hunting.

Greetings and thanks for sharing the tale.

Thank you all for the welcome. I have to say, I haven't even cast a practice line yet but have met the nicest people since I started talking about fly-fishing!

Unfortunately, there were no old flies with the rod, so I'll be starting from scratch.
I just noticed yesterday, driving through Elizabethtown, that there's a shop there called Dreamweavers (I believe)? I was thinking I may stop there to get some local advice and see if they might load my old reel with modern line.
If anyone can recommend other helpful shops around Hershey/Lancaster, I'd appreciate the input. I've no doubt I'll be spending a bit to get myself fully outfitted.

I'm also looking forward to the Great Outdoors Show in February. I'm hoping they'll be some good fishing gear and info there.

Am definitely interested in the Spring Jamboree--if I get my rod finished and back in time to start practicing with it. Is that an appropriate meet, though, for a complete neophyte? I'd hate to bumble my way in and interfere with anyone's serious fishing efforts!

Canoetripper, sorry about your dad. That's a tough loss, no matter how old we are when it happens.

That Parker SxS is a treasure, I'm sure. I got into firearms in the military (hence the screen name) and have a substantial collection, but my most prized arms are the ones handed down to me.
I have my dad's Model 70, my grandfather's Model 94 and my great-grandad's Model 12 (in 16ga). Obviously, I come from a long line of Winchester fans. :)

Now we're talking. I'm a big fan of old Winchesters. What calibers are the Model 70 and 94?

I have a family Model 12 in my "sights" but it hasn't come up for sale yet.

Welcome Olgunner - we're glad to hear you're taking up fly fishing (FFing) and we're glad to have you join our online community.
Dave

Dad's Model 70 is in 30.06 but he bought me one in .243 as soon as I could hold it (both are pre-64, of course). Both have been used to harvest many whitetails.
The 94 is, naturally (IMO), 30-30. Lightweight, compact--a wonderful companion for long walks!

And so as to not completely get off-topic :) ...
Word from the guy restoring the rod is that it's in better shape than he expected from the photos and he is certain it can be a great stick.
I am really looking forward to seing what he does with it!

1. YOU COULD GET GOOD CASTING INSTRUCTION AT THE JAM.
2. an 8.5 SB is a rod to enjoy.
3. you could stop in the orvis outlet in lancaster and strike up a conversation with keystone fly guide. he could show you some good flies.
4. wet flies are where it's at.

shakey wrote:
1. YOU COULD GET GOOD CASTING INSTRUCTION AT THE JAM.
2. an 8.5 SB is a rod to enjoy.
3. you could stop in the orvis outlet in lancaster and strike up a conversation with keystone fly guide. he could show you some good flies.
4. wet flies are where it's at.

With an outfit like that, I agree with Shakey ^ some traditional wet flies would complete the equipage. Plus, fishing wet flies is probably one of the easiest techniques to learn as a beginner.

Suggest you try to attend the Lancaster Fly-fishing show on March 9-10th.

one word of caution,

with an automatic reel, you only want use the automatic function of the reel to bring in line that you have stripped in by hand.

if you use it to reel in the line all the way,you can break your tip when a knot goes in a guide.

I appreciate the advice, Shakey. I knew the auto feature was only for retrieving slack line, but never thought about the potential for a knot to cause a problem.

And to show how new this is to me, I didn't even know there was an Orvis outlet in the area! I'll definitely plan a visit. I'm sure I'll be finding plenty of gear to buy over the next season or two. :)

shakey wrote:
one word of caution,

with an automatic reel, you only want use the automatic function of the reel to bring in line that you have stripped in by hand.

if you use it to reel in the line all the way,you can break your tip when a knot goes in a guide.

Good advice.

I don't recall it ever happened to me, but came close. Line doesn't even have to have a knot. The line can twist around the tip if you are using the reel to retrieve.

Back