New member, Maryland

ArtofCory

ArtofCory

Hello, everybody. My name's Cory. I've been fly fishing a couple years now and moved to Maryland (Ellicott City) last year, transferred with the Coast Guard. I picked up Gelso & Coburn's book a while back and have fished a lot of Maryland's better-known trout water, and have yet to discover the lesser-known gems, but I'm always on the lookout. Getting up into PA is high on my list, but I have yet to do it. I hope to this Fall. I also do a bit of painting, often fishing-related, and love getting out into new areas, new streams to get reference photos and inspiration for the next work (I'm on instagram @ArtofCory).

Anyway, that's me. Glad to be here, glad to pick the brains of anyone with Maryland/southern PA tips, tricks and advice.

Attachments

• IMG_2701.jpg
    IMG_2701.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Falls2.jpg
    Falls2.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 46
Welcome. Love the art.

Thank you! Whereabout are ya?
I’m in a Baltimore suburb. You can probably guess which well-known MD stream is my “home” water, even if I haven’t been able to get out much this summer.

I’m in a Baltimore suburb. You can probably guess which well-known MD stream is my “home” water, even if I haven’t been able to get out much this summer.
I could guess! Haha. I haven't had much luck on the GP this summer. Seems like one of the only streams around with consistent trout through the hot summers (although I'm probably wrong, I'm sure there are others), but I still don't seem to do well there. I picked up a trout or two on several other streams, but that was before the summer heat.

Last edited:
I have only been out on the GP once or twice since the end of May. The flows have recently gone up significantly, but I haven’t had time to get out. Hopefully I can get a chance before the city reduces the water flows.

I could guess! Haha. I haven't had much luck on the GP this summer. Seems like one of the only streams around with consistent trout through the hot summers (although I'm probably wrong, I'm sure there are others), but I still don't seem to do well there. I picked up a trout or two on several other streams, but that was before the summer heat.
The GP takes a while to figure out, but once you do, it's pretty easy to consistently catch fish.

FWIW, it took me four or five years to figure out.

Welcome to the board.

Give it time. The GP is a gem, but the fish are used to seeing a lot of bad drifts. Spend time on it. Keep your flies small and your drifts dead. The trout density on that stream (specifically its c&r section) is very high, so try focusing on water that's often overlooked by other anglers.

Give it time. The GP is a gem, but the fish are used to seeing a lot of bad drifts. Spend time on it. Keep your flies small and your drifts dead. The trout density on that stream (specifically its c&r section) is very high, so try focusing on water that's often overlooked by other anglers.
Appreciate that! I actually got out there this morning and managed a brown and a rainbow from the same hole, just working an ant pattern on the surface. It really is a great stream.

Attachments

• IMG_5011.jpg
    IMG_5011.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5026.jpg
    IMG_5026.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 16
Welcome aboard from a born and bred central NYer! You'll see me hosting fly swaps on this site - just LOVE to swap as well as use my swaps to teach newer tyers. Benn tying for over50 years and hosting swaps for the last 13 years - keeps me busy enough that my face hasn't shown on the post office walls yet! ;)

I look forward to seeing your posts!

Kim

Welcome aboard.GG

Hello, everybody. My name's Cory. I've been fly fishing a couple years now and moved to Maryland (Ellicott City) last year, transferred with the Coast Guard. I picked up Gelso & Coburn's book a while back and have fished a lot of Maryland's better-known trout water, and have yet to discover the lesser-known gems, but I'm always on the lookout. Getting up into PA is high on my list, but I have yet to do it. I hope to this Fall. I also do a bit of painting, often fishing-related, and love getting out into new areas, new streams to get reference photos and inspiration for the next work (I'm on instagram @ArtofCory).

Anyway, that's me. Glad to be here, glad to pick the brains of anyone with Maryland/southern PA tips, tricks and advice.
Thank you for your service to our country. I’ve been to the Coast Guard training facility in Cape May numerous times. Good luck and tight lines!

Great paintings Cory,
When he lived near Fort Meade, one of my sons haunted the Upper Patuxent since it was close by. He was able to pin several stockers, but his White Whale was to tag one of the big snakeheads on a fly. They were pretty thick at the shops in Hanover.
Regards

Welcome from another fellow Marylander. I’m outside of Frederick.

Love the art. I also enjoy painting, plein air stream side is my favorite.

Big Hunting Creek is my fishing and painting home water.

Matt

Back