New member Carbon County

IlyaP

Hi all, since moving to America, I decided to get into fly fishing. I've been here two years, but I haven't fished yet. I really like fishing.
I plan to fish in and around the Carbon County area.
In my country I used to do carpfishing and flat feeder fishing. I have participated in competitions for these types of fishing.
Now I want to learn fly fishing. I hope to get advice and useful information on this forum.

Welcome Ilya. Plenty of great information on this site. Flyfishing for carp is definitely a thing people do here in PA.

Welcome Ilya. Plenty of great information on this site. Flyfishing for carp is definitely a thing people do here in PA.

Fly fishing attracts me with its aesthetics and compact size. And also great possibilities in the choice of fishing strategy.
I don't know yet how it can be really applied on lakes with deep water, but I want to try it too.
But in any case, you do not need to carry a lot of kilograms of feed and a lot of gear as on carpfishing.
I bought myself the necessary equipment and am going to try it out on the water soon. And plus at home on the lawn to practice casting.
At home counytry I caught carps like this:

20200608_225416.jpg

20200608_225531.jpg

20190519_122558.jpg

The maximum in my practice was 42 pounds.

On the fun side of the fight, the best carp for this are 15-20 pounds, which gives great resistance and a test for the tackle... Little torpedoes. They're very resistant.
I bought a starter kit of Redington VICE 9' 6wt + Redington I.D. reel + SA Amplitude Smooth Infinity Taper line. To try it out on streams and practice casting.
Later, as will come understanding and feeling of fly fishing tackle, I want to pick up a set for bigger fish. Which I plan to find in lakes or a large river like the Delaware. But here I have gaps in my understanding of where and what's in the water. And what you can do on big water with fly tackle.

Welcome to America! What is country of your birth?

Slava Ukraine!

I need to teach you some critical American words and phrases to a new Pennsylvania resident:
1. Go Birds!
2. Phanitic
3. Genesee
3. Wid/Widout
4. Cheese steak
5. Yinzer
6. Tube steak
7. Howyadon?
8. Acame
9. Smokesncokes
10.WaWa

Welcome IlyaP !!

Ironically I have been fascinated with match & coarse fishing for some time and recognize some of the gear in your photos like the brolly, sling/rest and the river rod rest.

The amount of tackle choices and some of the specialized tackle for that kind of fishing would surprise most fly anglers...

I own some Korum gear like rod rests, bait trays, bite indicators and buzzer bars however I use it for fish CONSIDERABLY smaller than the carp in your photos!!

Welcome to the USA & Pennsylvania!!

BTW - Do you know about this? Their festival is coming up in August:

Last edited:
I need to teach you some critical American words and phrases to a new Pennsylvania resident:
1. Go Birds!
2. Phanitic
3. Genesee
3. Wid/Widout
4. Cheese steak
5. Yinzer
6. Tube steak
7. Howyadon?
8. Acame
9. Smokesncokes
10.WaWa
These words are new and unknown to me. And my English is still very weak. But I'm working on it.

I took the help of chatgpt and he told me what they mean and that they are related to Pittsburgh.
Now I want to try a cheesesteak wid. 🙂

The amount of tackle choices and some of the specialized tackle for that kind of fishing would surprise most fly anglers...
Yes, the amount of gear in carpfishing can be very surprising. If you are not familiar with the subject. In the USA carpfishing is poorly developed and carp itself is not considered a very good fish. But it is also a very interesting type of fishing. But it requires a lot of time. Especially hunting for trophy carp. The carp weighs 50-60 pounds and is about 30 years old. And trophy specimens live apart from the pack and are extremely cautious. Ways to trick them and lure them out in the UK are almost a science.

For me in fly fishing a huge plus is just a minimum amount of equipment and the possibility of short fishing trips. When you do not need to one session 3-4 days and store and carry a lot of equipment.
Maybe someday, when my conditions here will change, I will be able to return to carp fishing too. But now all my attention and great interest is in fly fishing.

Dear IIya.

Welcome to Pennsylvania and to PAFF. Those are some very impressive carp. They don't get quite as large in Pennsylvania but 15-to-20-pound fish are fairly common.

Have fun!

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Yes, the amount of gear in carpfishing can be very surprising...

...Maybe someday, when my conditions here will change, I will be able to return to carp fishing too...

One thing you will find frustrating if you ever return to carp fishing in the USA is the lack of available gear in the US and how difficult it has become to source tackle from UK manufacturers & stockists in the last 10 years.

So if you have any sources in the EU, keep in contact. 😉

Welcome to USA and PAFF forum. You need to reach out to DC410 on this forum who shares your passion for carp fishing. Im sure he can help you with tactics, gear, and other items of interest.

Last edited:
Welcome to PAFF.
I spend a fair amount of time in Carbon County, so if you want some specific info, feel free to PM me with questions.

Welcome aboard. GG

Back