New loomis short stix

Fredrick

Fredrick

Has anyone casted the new loomis short stix yet ? I'm looking forward to casting one of these at Somerset this year . a 7'6 3 piece rod is allot different that what we are used to seeing coming from rod company's . I talked to Ian Devlin and he stated that this rod will surprise you its lightweight and it can put out some line.

These new specialty power rod are designed for stripers and bluefish with major input from avid fly anglers, Mark Sedotti and Ian Devlin up in the Northeast! The rods are noticeably shorter, quick loading and dramatically easier to cast. Because of the short length (7'6"), they are much lighter, but create exceptionally high line speeds and tight loops thanks to the new generation of “short head” fly lines like the Airflo Sniper, the Wulff Ambush and Scientific Anglers' Titan Taper. These new specialty fly rods are capable of achieving surprisingly long casts, even with large, bulky flies! They are designed for shallow wading, casting from the jetties or from a boat and they'll handle a number of different species like roosterfish, big snook and tarpon. There will be many freshwater applications for these rods, ranging from golden dorado to peacock bass & big pike to muskie. The size 8/9 and 9/10 have short, full wells grips and large fighting butt. The 10/11 and 11/12 have and integrated fighting grip with short full wells handle and large fighting butt.

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/gloomis_2010/us/en/fly/rods/warmwater_rods/pro4x_shortstix.html

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/946244/a-better-mousetrap-new-icast-award-winnig-g-loomis-shortstix

Fredrick wrote:
Has anyone casted the new loomis short stix yet ? I'm looking forward to casting one of these at Somerset this year . a 7'6 3 piece rod is allot different that what we are used to seeing coming from rod company's . I talked to Ian Devlin and he stated that this rod will surprise you its lightweight and it can put out some line.

These new specialty power rod are designed for stripers and bluefish with major input from avid fly anglers, Mark Sedotti and Ian Devlin up in the Northeast! The rods are noticeably shorter, quick loading and dramatically easier to cast. Because of the short length (7'6"), they are much lighter, but create exceptionally high line speeds and tight loops thanks to the new generation of “short head” fly lines like the Airflo Sniper, the Wulff Ambush and Scientific Anglers' Titan Taper. These new specialty fly rods are capable of achieving surprisingly long casts, even with large, bulky flies! They are designed for shallow wading, casting from the jetties or from a boat and they'll handle a number of different species like roosterfish, big snook and tarpon. There will be many freshwater applications for these rods, ranging from golden dorado to peacock bass & big pike to muskie. The size 8/9 and 9/10 have short, full wells grips and large fighting butt. The 10/11 and 11/12 have and integrated fighting grip with short full wells handle and large fighting butt.

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/gloomis_2010/us/en/fly/rods/warmwater_rods/pro4x_shortstix.html

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/946244/a-better-mousetrap-new-icast-award-winnig-g-loomis-shortstix

Those are boat and jetty rods for the most part. From the beach, many guys are starting to use the longer switch and spey rods which give a longer casting stroke and more power.

Those are boat and jetty rods for the most part. From the beach, many guys are starting to use the longer switch and spey rods which give a longer casting stroke and more power.

Yes the trend right now is growing towards longer rods for more distance that is one of the reasons that I want to see how these rods cast . If they live up to there names there will be a two handed surf rod up for sale shortly after.

Please refer to TFO mini mag that is now defunked. Don't fall for the hype Frederick

Fredrick wrote:

Yes the trend right now is growing towards longer rods for more distance that is one of the reasons that I want to see how these rods cast . If they live up to there names there will be a two handed surf rod up for sale shortly after.

Attachments

• Which rod.JPG
    Which rod.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 6
krayfish2 wrote:
Please refer to TFO mini mag that is now defunked. Don't fall for the hype Frederick

Exactly why I want to cast it .

Tom I'm thinking thte same thing as you that is why I want to cast it to see if they live up to the hype

"designed for shallow wading".

good luck with keeping the backcast high with large flies on a light shooting head with a rod 18" shorter.....

it sounds like a gimmick to me - if it can't cast a WF9I its no good on the flats for stripers imho. and how do you fish the edge of the flat if the fish don't co-operate ?

it might be nice for bones or snook in FL but i don't see it working as a tool for the NE flats where you have to adapt to the weather and where the fish are - most of the time you don't know until you get out there where they'll be....

. If they live up to there names there will be a two handed surf rod up for sale shortly after.

another gimmick IMHO - why would anyone use a DH to cast OH all day ?

DH's work great for creeks, estuaries, rips or the Canal but for the open beach ? nah, you might as well fish a 10ft 6 #7/8 like Kenney Abrames and the Striper Moon/Flat wing crews do down in So Co RI.

There was a guide on the Cape that pushed them very hard to try to make them the 'next big thing', but within 2-3 years all those that bought them sold or traded them away.

They are useful for people with injuries as a last resort, but otherwise pffft....i can outcast most DH OH casters with a 9X9, get the fish in quicker and work the water column better.

Cheers

mark.

My two hander is 11' and its a nice rod and works well.http://www.beulahflyrods.com/fly-fishing-rods/opal-surf-fly-rods/
But since I bought my 9wt NRX I can cast just as far as the Two Hander. So I dont use it that much these days.

I am a skeptic about these rods and I cant wait to cast one to see if the hype is true .

Fredrick wrote: But since I bought my 9wt NRX I can cast just as far as the Two Hander. So I dont use it that much these days.

thats pretty much my experience too, as i said.

mind you, i have put in hundreds of hours of practice to cast my 9x9.

take a DH and add 150 ft. of Cortland braided mono and a nice leadcore head and watch the difference. I use an old HMG 14' 10 wt with that setup. my 9 x 9 and 10's can't cast that far. over the bar it goes.

sandfly wrote:
take a DH and add 150 ft. of Cortland braided mono and a nice leadcore head and watch the difference. I use an old HMG 14' 10 wt with that setup. my 9 x 9 and 10's can't cast that far. over the bar it goes.

LOL.....^+1..No SH rod can compete with a 2hander.

I can cast my 8wt switch rod 2 handed about the same distance as my 9 or 10 SH +/-, but with a lot less work - no false casting or double hauling needed. Also I can cast left or right handed, depending on the wind direction - very handy.

A full length 2 hander like Sandy uses will bomb a fly way out there "over the bar", so to speak. Great rod for the beach, but not for the jetties or boat. That's what the shorty rod is designed for...and it says that in the description.

bought a 7'6" 10 wt redington for jettys and boats

sandfly wrote:

you're a professional. it doesn't count :p

but to qualify it, i did mean 'in general' - most people cannot cast a DH OH well enough to justify it imho - rather like those that buy a super duper fast action rod....

in either case you need a lot of practice or to take specific lessons, which most anglers never do.

afishinado wrote: That's what the shorty rod is designed for...and it says that in the description.

it also says :

They are designed for shallow wading,

what they don't make clear is - "shallow wading for snook, tarpon, peacock bass" etc

that rod will not cut it for shallow wading in the NE.

FWIW for the jetties i have a Sage RPL-XB 1109-2. its a beast.

I can cast 60 feet of line with my 4 wt. 7' 6" rod, but I wouldn't spend over $400 for a 8-9 or 10-12 wt. rod 7'6" for salt water, I feel longer is better for the salt.

Chaz wrote:
I can cast 60 feet of line with my 4 wt. 7' 6" rod, but I wouldn't spend over $400 for a 8-9 or 10-12 wt. rod 7'6" for salt water, I feel longer is better for the salt.

There is no brookies in the salt Chaz

Wait.... Sea run further north.

krayfish2 wrote:

Like finding a unicorn

Fredrick wrote:
krayfish2 wrote:

Like finding a unicorn
Caught sea run brookies on Long Island several times, and boy do they give a fight. Caught them on Cape Cod too. Going to Canada for them sometime soon.

Back