New guy - stocked trout (rainbow) question

TheBlackSheep

Hi everyone, thanks for all of the help I'd received this far.

I have a lake nearby with panfish, bass and is also stocked with trout. Yesterday I'd gone there just with the expectation of getting some real casting practice in with obstructions (trees) and the like. Actually did get a few hits on different flys.

A guy down from me was using worms on a spinner and consistently nailing them. While my goal was to practice casting more, I can't say I wouldn't have enjoyed landing one - just didn't want to use conventional tackle is all - if I'm going to do this fly fishing thing - then I need to learn and practice.

My question is then - how much different can I expect the stocked trout to be from anything wild I might encounter? These guys will still hit on our usual selection of flies and the like, correct?

I can get here regularly and am fortunate to be able to practice casting and even fish - I just hope to use whatever is nearby to its fullest extent to learn.

I think I'm going to take another trip down to see what kind of flies, bugs, etc may be around in webs, on the water and flipping rocks...

Figured, if they're there, I might as well try.
Although I'll admit I was hesitant as it's been hot and the water temps were a concern (however the water felt cool).

Any direction, help, advice, resources, etc would be appreciated. It's somewhat of a small gem nearby but, having next to know knowledge about trout, I figured this would be the place to ask questions, even if they seem rudimentary to myself.

Thanks everyone.

A lot of questions here.

Pond and stream fishing are very different. Wild trout and stocked trout behave differently, but after a while stocked trout do start to get more "wild". They have to survive and naturally adapt to the conditions.

It's hard to compare spinner fishing and fly fishing in a pond. A spin caster can cover more ground than a fly sitting on top of the water. There are different approaches to each style of fishing depending on the waters, time of year and type of fish you are targeting.

For right now and the next couple of months, I would focus on the pond fly fishing if that suits you. Not a good time to target trout in the streams, too hot for them. There are plenty of good times pursuing different fish there with poppers and streamers. I'm sure a few folks can offer up some specific types of flies and poppers that will work.

Dear TheBlackSheep,

You don't have to tell me but any chance you were fishing Lake Irena near Hazleton? Or maybe Tuscarora Lake? The location doesn't really matter, I'm just nosey like that. 😉

If you are fishing warm-water lakes that are stocked with trout try fishing a wooly bugger in like size 6 or 8 and tie a bead head Prince nymph or Pheasant tail nymph in size 10 or 12 to 24 inches of tippet tied to the bend of the wooly bugger.

You may not catch any trout, but I promise you fish will bother your flies and you may even get a double take. They may be bass or sunnies but that doesn't matter right now. It will give you practice and experience for later.

Like Dave said, it's rough right now for targeting trout only, unless you pick your days and times. That is something that comes with experience.

Just get out and wave a stick around and I'm sure you will have fun and learn things and gain experience in the process.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Good advice from DK and Tim.

Many ponds and small lakes in PA are stocked with trout on what has traditionally been called a "put and take" basis - meaning the fish are stocked with the intention that they will be caught and consumed and with little or no expectation that these fish will survive. Many of these lakes, like our state's streams, will not hold trout over summer due to high water temps (not sure if this is the case with the lake you're fishing).

In the meantime, keep at the fly fishing and if you enjoy eating fish and catch some of the rainbows I'd suggest keeping and eating them. You might find, with the current heat wave, that the trout disappear. This may be due to them dying off or retreating to colder depths. There are very few PA fly fishers who target trout in summer on ponds/lakes due to the fish being too deep. Even on deep cold lakes and spring fed ponds that can hold trout over summer, the surface temperatures are too high and this mostly puts these trout out of the game for fly fishers (FFers).

The good news is you'll have a blast catching bass and sunfish (they're much more fun than stocked trout anyway and usually easier to catch) and continue to improve your FF abilities. During summer, you'll do best in the mornings and evenings. In addition to the wooly buggers recommended by Tim, try a popper on the surface. Big fun.

Try the Tim M. method in Post #3, except substitute size 12 Black Ant and size 12 Leadwing Coachman for the flies Tim mentioned.

Some days the bait and spin guys will out fish you. Especially when your learning curve is heaped in front of you. I know It was for me. Many times my fiends would be having 20 fish days and it was all I could do to conger up a fish or two. Frustrating, humbling, and a bit humiliating. Almost 40 years later the tables are turned and I catch fish starting into July when those guys stop fishing a week or 2 after the last stock truck.

Patience my friend. Your day is coming.

One thing I'd do is stop calling it casting practice if you're on the water. You are fishing! You can fish and work on your casting at the same time. No better experience than the real thing. Maybe it's not a big deal but I feel like you need to put your head in the right place. So much of fly fishing is a mental challenge, possibly more than a physical one.

Some days the bait and spin guys will out fish you. Especially when your learning curve is heaped in front of you. I know It was for me. Many times my fiends would be having 20 fish days and it was all I could do to conger up a fish or two. Frustrating, humbling, and a bit humiliating. Almost 40 years later the tables are turned and I catch fish starting into July when those guys stop fishing a week or 2 after the last stock truck.

Patience my friend. Your day is coming.
Yep, that's where I'm at. Caught a lot more of trees, bushes and myself than I did fish. Added to my profanity repertoire if that's was possible.

One day.

Yep, that's where I'm at. Caught a lot more of trees, bushes and myself than I did fish. Added to my profanity repertoire if that's was possible.

One day.
Dear TheBlackSheep,

Learning new curse words combined with the possibility of actually catching a fish has inspired fly anglers for centuries!

It's the normal journey for many more people than you can imagine. Keep on keepin' on and eventually the light will shine bright.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Dear TheBlackSheep,

Learning new curse words combined with the possibility of actually catching a fish has inspired fly anglers for centuries!

It's the normal journey for many more people than you can imagine. Keep on keepin' on and eventually the light will shine bright.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂
Then I'm on track.

Back