New Guy Here

JVenezia

JVenezia

Just wanting to say Hello to everyone and cannot wait to pick all those brains out there...

Welcome aboard JVenezia

Welcome.

Welcome to the jungle

Thank you for the welcome guys......... I need to get out on a non windy morning and start as basic as possible and work out my casting..... Just going off of guesswork and trial and error so far....

Welcome to the site, I am new here as well but it is a great site.

I told someone last week who was just starting out, I learned to play baseball by playing baseball. You are going to only learn fly fishing by being on the water. JV there have been days ever since I first picked a fly rod that I was blessed by just casting well that I didn't need to catch any fish. Don;t get me wrong I want to catch fish but with the fly rod that is not all there is.

When I first started out I made a lot mistakes (still do but) because I put myself in areas to cast or fish that were way, way past my skill level and by doing that I took some of the fun out of it, oh I added much frustration, but little else.

I assume that you have fished before picking up the fly rod, fishing is all trial and error. Find a hole that you can strip out 15 or 20 foot of line and just flip it down stream and then roll or flip it up into the hole upstream. That will build confidence for you quicker than standing there trying to do three false casts and then shooting the line up into a hole. That will come but just getting the line to flick from downstream to up stream will catch you fish, gain yourself some confidence and help to keep a lid on frustration.

Thanks for the tip... I am heading to Trout Run for opening day... going to bring the fly rod along as well....

Back