New guy from Western PA

TroutKilla

TroutKilla

Greeting from Ohio. I live two minutes from the boarder right next to Bessemer PA. I have always been an avid fisherman but never fly fishing. I always fish the lakes for trout and streams but once again never fly fishing. I tried fly fishing for the first time last year but knew nothing about the sport. So i decided to read as many books and watch as many videos as i possibly can over the winter to kill some time. I am dying to learn how to get the casting and basics down and i feel that i got a pretty good grip on most of it. I even went as far as starting to tie my own flies this winter. (once again an utmost beginner).

I was wondering if anybody around the western PA area gives lessons or is willing to go out for a day. I am dying to get out and learn because it seems very fun. Every time i ask about lessons someone tells me to head straight to the fly shop for lessons. Being a college student i can quite afford $100 lesson for four hours. Other than the fly shop i know of no one with a fly fishing background.

Thanks for the help and as always "Have a Nice Day"

Welcome to PAFF, if the other side of the state is anything like this side of the state (and I'm sure it is), you'll get the help you requested.

Tight Lines!

Foxgap239 wrote:
Welcome to PAFF, if the other side of the state is anything like this side of the state (and I'm sure it is), you'll get the help you requested.

Tight Lines!
I agree with Foxgap. Welcome to the forum. I do have a question though. Are you really a "Trout Killer"? I just wondered. Alot of the fellas on here practice catch and release esp. for wild trout.

I live an hour and a half from the ohio border. Maybe if i get a chance, i can give you some pointers. My best advice is start out at a farm pond and catch blue gills until you get comfortable.

I got you covered!

Once things calm down on the home front (wife due in a week) then I'd be more than happy to show you the ropes. You're not too far from the Neshannock. Great place to learn with plenty of casting room and lots of fish to catch. Keep in touch and give it another month or so and I should be able to help you out in getting started.

Ryan

Welcome aboard. GG

Awesome!!! thanks a bunch. congratulations on the newborn hope all goes well. I often go down to the neshanock fly shop so that would be a perfect place. thanks much

Ryan

catch and release is all i usually do. i ocasionally take a trout and filet it up but im the only one in the family who likes fish so i rarely get to eat it.

i too could help you develop some bad habits on the stream im only 45 minutes or so from the neshannock in the meantime make one of these http://fishfliesandwater.com/gear-rigging/rollspey-grass-leader/ and read up on roll casting that will help you a little bit and it will help you to learn to tie blood knots happy practicing.....

as far as tying goes watch as many tutorials on you tube as you can and tie along with them using pause and get the book "the benchside introduction to fly tying" i did both and still use both http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movies-Music-Games/The-Benchside-Introduction-to-Fly-Tying/2067189/product.html?rcmndsrc=2 but i reccomend you get it at the fly shop as far as tyinf lessons check with the closest trout unlimited chapter they sometimes give free (i think but dont quote me on that) classes

if you have any questions dont be afraid to ask someone will help and welcome to the board

thanks very much for the help and generosity!!! ill definitely look up on all those web pages you gave me.

Ryan

Too bad there isn't a newbie/beginners jam for us here in the west!

Heynow wrote:
Too bad there isn't a newbie/beginners jam for us here in the west!

If the truth be known, the eastern guys on here blow away the guys out-west by a wide margin. Yinz can't deny it. We have Heritage Ed back here to organize things and keep it rollin'......the Beasts of the East RULE! ;-)

The Spring PAFF Jam (May 18-20th) is on neutral ground in Central PA, and is a great place to meet many of the guys and learn a lot.

Back