New Guy from Littlestown PA

C

combatgrunt84

Had a rough year last year with Anxiety so I taught myself how to fly fish to help get my mind off thinking too much. I loosely understand the concepts lol and can get the line in the water fished the Yellow Breeches a few times got a lot help from the guys at the TCO Fly Shop in Boiling Springs. So this year I want to get more into it maybe take class for a few days to learn more and get better at casting. So as always I have a few questions about the sport doing some research as well.

I have been looking at getting a small float like this one for the smaller lakes around me since I can't put my boat in them due to the HP Restrictions lol.

I bought this setup last year in a 5WT.

This year I want to look at upgrading my Rod. I keep coming across this model in a 5WT.

Looking at this reel as well

I plan on fishing a lot the lakes/streams nothing massive as far as fish size biggest freshwater fish might be some bass that's about it.

And to end on a good note I caught my first trout last year I thought I had a killer whale on the end of the pole lol :).

Attachments

• IMG_7488.jpeg
    IMG_7488.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 71
Lamson Liquid is a good reel for the price. Has high end drag in lower priced body (I have one). As for rods, I'm a little cautious on upgrading. Before you buy a more expensive rod ask yourself two questions; what can't I do with the rod I have and is it the rod or my skills. But we all have too many rods - it can be addictive.

Congrats - fly fishing is a great sport

Welcome to the group!

And to a new addiction!

As a relative beginner myself - just over 2 years - I had to laugh at your comment "I taught myself how to fly fish to help get my mind off thinking too much." I've found it to be the exact opposite. Unlike my decades spent with spinning gear and pursuing mostly bass, fly fishing seems to have way more options & subtleties: what type of fly, what specific fly, what size, what color, indicator or dry dropper, one nymph or two, depth, drifting & line mending technique, etc., etc.

But stick to it. I've found almost all fellow fly anglers to be very helpful in suggestions on fly choice, casting techniques, where to fish, how to approach, what worked for them that day & what didn't. As well as having several of them give me a fly or two, and a couple impromptu casting lessons. Casting lessons never hurt.

Although I've looked at upgrading my beginners Orvis Encounter fly rod, I know I have not yet reached the limits of the rod. Any difficulties I've had have been due to my current skill level, not the capability of the rod itself. When I think I've reached the limits of the rod, I'll have several others in mind, including the Clearwater. Of course, by that time there will probably be another 10 or 100 "best upgrade" rods on the market.

But the Lamson Liquid reel is in my opinion a great upgrade reel. I needed a second reel when one of those friendly fly anglers offered me an outstanding deal on one of their old rods. I'd read good things about the Liquid reel and found a great price for it from Sierra Trading Post. The 5+ reels are the old color scheme, but $70 is too good to pass up.

I worked in Hanover (not far from Littlestown) for almost 18 years, but live in Lancaster County. I became quite familiar with trout fly fishing locations (or lack thereof) in the immediate Hanover area. Although it is a bit of a "trout desert", there are places locally where you can wade fish for trout. The most notable is Codorus Creek in Porters Sideling. It is managed under special regulations (it used to be "Trophy Trout" water - I'm not sure what it is this week) and is fishable all year long. Outside of Codorus, you'll have to hop in your car and drive to either the Gunpowder in Maryland or west to streams in Michaux SF. There are trout streams in western/northwestern Adams County that offer angling opportunities as well. As you can see, there isn't a whole lot in the Hanover/Gettysburg/Littlestown area (orange lines are stocked streams, blue are natural repro streams and/or special regs streams)

Screenshot 2023 03 22 at 12 59 34 Trout Streams

As far as a watercraft for Lake Marburg and Long Arm, have you considered a sit-on-top (SOT) kayak? With a SOT you sit higher, which makes casting a fly easier than a sit-in kayak. A big advantage of a kayak is the ability to float in minimal depth water and ease of transportation. The challenge with a pontoon/float is the work it takes to transport it from point A to point B. I suppose if you have a trailer all ready to go or a pickup bed big enough, then it's a moot point. Kayak fly fishing takes a bit of practice, but it can be done and has gained popularity in recent years.

Grunt,
Keep me in mind for July / August if you want to try a float on the Susquehanna. I've tried to get in outings for veterans but the response from guides is typically so good that I end up on wait / overflow list. Spin, fly or combo. I'll take you down the Susky for some bass 👍

I worked in Hanover (not far from Littlestown) for almost 18 years, but live in Lancaster County. I became quite familiar with trout fly fishing locations (or lack thereof) in the immediate Hanover area. Although it is a bit of a "trout desert", there are places locally where you can wade fish for trout.
And I thought SEPA was a trout desert...

Lamson Liquid is a good reel for the price. Has high end drag in lower priced body (I have one). As for rods, I'm a little cautious on upgrading. Before you buy a more expensive rod ask yourself two questions; what can't I do with the rod I have and is it the rod or my skills. But we all have too many rods - it can be addictive.

Congrats - fly fishing is a great sport
The Liquid is a decent reel. Take it from a guy who sports high end custom reels on most of his rods. Hey, I like a bit of the "bling". The Liquid feels good in the hands and has a good sound. Lamson reels are light weight so you may want to get the next line wt size up for the rod you intend to use it with. My friend's dad rocks a Liquid 7/8 on his Redington Vice 4wt 10ft. It balances pretty well.

I will say the Lamson reels do not respond well to being dropped (not that you should drop any reel). I dropped my Guru last week during a lawn casting session. The reel bounced on some stone tile and got a little gash and bent the frame. The bent frame is barely noticeable but it's there. I don't think it has any effect on the reel (in my head I think it does). Last year while fishing my favorite native trout stream I fell and whacked my Abel TR. Definitely had more force on that fall than I did by when dropping the Lamson. The Abel took less damage and that reel has a custom paint job, rainbow trout to be exact (don't ask me why I was fishing a rainbow trout reel on a native trout stream).

You get what you pay for. A VERY accurate statement. Not dissing Lamson, they make good reels, I should have kept my Vanquish 5.6, stellar reel with a crazy line pick-up rate.

The Lamson Liquid should fit your needs.

I have a Clearwater in the 10’ 4 weight category and am very happy with it. From most of my research and reading it seems people are generally happy with the Clearwater model especially as the next step up without breaking the bank.

Grunt,
Keep me in mind for July / August if you want to try a float on the Susquehanna. I've tried to get in outings for veterans but the response from guides is typically so good that I end up on wait / overflow list. Spin, fly or combo. I'll take you down the Susky for some bass 👍

Sounds fun to me I just can do crazy heat

I worked in Hanover (not far from Littlestown) for almost 18 years, but live in Lancaster County. I became quite familiar with trout fly fishing locations (or lack thereof) in the immediate Hanover area. Although it is a bit of a "trout desert", there are places locally where you can wade fish for trout. The most notable is Codorus Creek in Porters Sideling. It is managed under special regulations (it used to be "Trophy Trout" water - I'm not sure what it is this week) and is fishable all year long. Outside of Codorus, you'll have to hop in your car and drive to either the Gunpowder in Maryland or west to streams in Michaux SF. There are trout streams in western/northwestern Adams County that offer angling opportunities as well. As you can see, there isn't a whole lot in the Hanover/Gettysburg/Littlestown area (orange lines are stocked streams, blue are natural repro streams and/or special regs streams)

View attachment 1641229455

As far as a watercraft for Lake Marburg and Long Arm, have you considered a sit-on-top (SOT) kayak? With a SOT you sit higher, which makes casting a fly easier than a sit-in kayak. A big advantage of a kayak is the ability to float in minimal depth water and ease of transportation. The challenge with a pontoon/float is the work it takes to transport it from point A to point B. I suppose if you have a trailer all ready to go or a pickup bed big enough, then it's a moot point. Kayak fly fishing takes a bit of practice, but it can be done and has gained popularity in recent years.
Thank I will look into this area. I have a ram 2500 diselnwith a 6ft4 bed and I also have a 18ft car hauler I have a boat but pa seems to be anti gas motor lol

Welcome aboard from another newbie, in fly fishing and tying, as well as another South Central PA resident.

Back