new glass from cabela's

I'd like to learn more about making my own blanks, I often thought about what it would take to get setup for some thing like That. How does one come upon mandrels?

sundrunk, call mike mcfarland at mcfarland rod co. ( I built a 3pc 8ft 5wt last year, building a 3pc 7'6" 4wt unsanded yellow blank from him this year!) he has started making his own blanks, and last year he bought all the equipment from the old diamondglass factory in vermont. I don't think its a simple thing, lots of trial and error, lots of junked blanks and fiberglass tomato stakes! I've also thought about it, but I just don't have the time to commit to such an endeavor.
you can go on the yuku fiberglass board, lots of blank makers post there, mcfarland, paddock, kabuto, kenny, and tom morgan to name a few. if your really serious, these guys will talk with you, they are a good bunch of guys with a mad passion about fishing rods.
to those that wonder why glass? it just has a feel that some folks like, same as a fast graphite has a feel that other folks like. it's all in how you cast and what feels good to you.

I think that short 8wt would be a nice canoe bass and carp rod. I like a shorter rod in a canoe. might have to try one for 100 bucks!

bikerfish wrote:
I think that short 8wt would be a nice canoe bass and carp rod. I like a shorter rod in a canoe. might have to try one for 100 bucks!

Why is that? I find a 10' rod to be much more effective for casting when I am that close the water. Could be my sloppy casting.

I checked the fiberglass board. Apparently, the Cabela's rods are the same as this line:

Vision Cult Fiber Fly Rod Series

The 7 ft for 5 wt is not among them.

One of the guys on that board said they were not particularly good (the Vision rods), so I would tread carefully and wait for the reviews. $100 is too rich for something that I would just toss on auction.

If the main difference is just cosmetic, that 7.5 ft 8 wt is a club at 139 grams.

jdaddy, I just like a shorter rod in a canoe, everything seems easier for me. I seldom have to cast very far, usually only 25-30 ft.
I've used a 5'5" 4wt bamboo at times, casts great for the distances I need.

Biker,

I bought one of his 8' #5 ,3 piece, spruce creek rods at somerset a couple of years ago, it's my travel rod..great rod, I'll contact him, thanks..

Tom Morgan makes a great fiberglass rod.

that's the same rod I built up, it's SMOOTH!!!
tom morgan has a new line of glass coming out, due this spring, looking forward to hearing about them.
for those that don't know, tom used to own winston.

Seems odd to me. I started with a glass rod and when I got a graphite..WOW..what a difference. Not sure I wnna go back. I do remember Cabela's doing glass rods a few years ago,so other than the anniversary thing it's not new. But they look good and cant beat that price...may have to test one out.

like I stated earlier, it's all in what you like and how you cast.
also, the new glass rods coming out today don't feel anything like an old shakespeare wonderod, not to ditch wonderods, I own several, just saying the new generation of glass is much different.
some folks like a fast rod, some don't.

Stop it....or I'll be buying a new glass rod. LOL.
Do you know if Cabela's will let me cast them before I buy ?

not sure what their policy is, I've never bought a rod from cabelas. since they have a "fly shop", I would think they would let you cast it. they are bastards if they don't!

Hamburg store lets you go outside with an employee.

Cool,thanks gfen. I'll check them out this week if they got any in.

gfen wrote:
Hamburg store lets you go outside with an employee.

That was store security - you just didn't get the hint. :lol:

The respect me for my wallet there.

I'm trying to be good and not spend money right now, actually.. its not easy, but I'm all trouted up.

On the other hand, once summer rolls around and I decide to take up smallies? Well, hell, I need more gear for that.

I know someone that has several rods that would be good for smallmouth - tradeya for that 10' 3wt NYMPHING rod. ;-)

Please, wet fly and spider rod. ;)

Actually, the Teeny is an admirable rod for that duty, but I'm lulled by the sosng of glass.

Back