new glass from cabela's

bikerfish

bikerfish

most of ya know I'm a glass freak, just wanted to post this in case anyone is interested, new glass rods from cabelas, hard to beat the price, and they are pretty nice looking rods, haven't cast one yet, so the jury is still out.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-50th-Anniversary-Custom-Glass-Rods/1167634.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntt=cgr&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&rid=10&WT.tsrc=AFF&WT.mc_id=k244266

I just saw those today, 50th anniversary. I guess they are new.

I know how gfen feels about things that are old, and he loves glass? I might have a rod he'd be interested in...

Haven't I brought this up in at least three threads in the last two weeks alone?

Yeah, I'm highly interested in picking one up, despite my unlove for anything with the word Cabela's on it. Expected in the Hamburg shop in a week or so, from what I last heard.

Whatchoo got, wsender? btw, I need to make those rsvps.

gfen wrote:
Haven't I brought this up in at least three threads in the last two weeks alone?

Yeah, I'm highly interested in picking one up, despite my unlove for anything with the word Cabela's on it. Expected in the Hamburg shop in a week or so, from what I last heard.

I have a feeling Gfen will be among the first to cast it.

gfen wrote:

Whatchoo got, wsender? btw, I need to make those rsvps.

An old Conolon Missilite. It's in need of some serious love though.

Interesting, model #?

Glad to see their all 7'6" or under. Probaly a lot of rod for the money..

Went down yesterday to check 'em out, Didn't see any on display. Nobody was in the fly shop so I couldn't ask if and when they were getting them in.

I noticed they didn't have any of their new reels out on display as well.

It's early yet,

Being that there is so much prime time, short rod, water in PA I couldn't imagen Cabelas not displaying those glass rods before spring.

A little off topic, but does anyone own or has anyone tried the new Diamondback glass rods? http://www.diamondbackflyrod.com/products/default.asp?id=205

I have a few glass rods now, and love to use them on smaller streams when I fish dries. I know somewhere I have and old Trailmaster pack fly rod that is from the 50's, I believe, and its never been used.

Any input would be awesome

http://www.thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/ has had posts on the new Diamondback rods, the new Cabelers Rods, and will be receiving a set of the CGRs for review shortly.

http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/ has had several threads on the CGR and Diamondglass rods lately.

I've always heard good thing about the diamond glass. Never had a chance to cast one..

Still prefer the old school blanks, like the old fenwicks,

Trial master wood be a good backpacking rod..

looks like something worth trying.i'd like to see a longer four weight though!

Diamondglass has a 8' and 8'6" listed, MSRP for both is $299, though.

The 8' is supposed to be lackluster, but that's hearsay.

I have an old Fenwick Feralite, I believe it is 8.5', 5wt. It broke near a ferrule, and I was just wondering if you guys know of any place to contact for repairs. I think it may be impossible to fix, but I like the rod and it has sentimental value as well.

Thanks for the links guys.

Try the Yuku board above, if it's doable I'm positive they can help you.

I am trying to figure out why Cabela's is doing this, or rather, how they came up with the idea that glass would be the material of choice. I don't see how it could be anything other than checking out the internet blogs and forums. Either that, or someone named Cabela discovered glass for him or her self. Or both.

7 ft. 6 in. 8 wt? At first glance, seems strange. But then if you carp on small streams, could be just the ticket.

Somebody at Cabela's is doing some thinking. I hope this works for them, though that would mean they won't make it to the Bargain Cave.

DGC wrote:
I am trying to figure out why Cabela's is doing this, or rather, how they came up with the idea that glass would be the material of choice. I don't see how it could be anything other than checking out the internet blogs and forums. Either that, or someone named Cabela discovered glass for him or her self. Or both.

7 ft. 6 in. 8 wt? At first glance, seems strange. But then if you carp on small streams, could be just the ticket.

Somebody at Cabela's is doing some thinking. I hope this works for them, though that would mean they won't make it to the Bargain Cave.

New market to exploit. Cashes in on their anniversery thing, cheap to produce with an appopriate partner.

Glass may be prone to experience a rennaisance since bamboo has gotten quite expensive, and is often considered delicate by many people.

Long glass rods aren't common, and most of the "professional" bass rods are under 8' because "tournament rules."

I can think of places to try this out, and at $100, I'm not gonna argue.

Back