New from Lancaster

S

Slougee

New out of East Petersburg. Found a old unused fiberglass rod and automatic reel from a neighbor that passed and that sparked my interest. Recently picked up a Orvis Clearwater and Lamson Reel. I work out of Reading Airport so I expect many of my trips after work will be the Tulpehocken and Schuykill.

Looking forward to meeting some new faces.

Welcome to the site @Slougee. Some good options close options for you with the two locations mentioned.

You're welcome to roll with me cowboy once we get some more daylight. I am quite familiar with most of the productive runs on the Tully but have only fished it once this year. As for the Schuylkill I have some spots up near Cabela's in Hamburg that I like but it hasn't been too productive these past few years. I would like to figure out the carp in there as they are now the most prevalent species in the river.

You're welcome to roll with me cowboy once we get some more daylight. I am quite familiar with most of the productive runs on the Tully but have only fished it once this year. As for the Schuylkill I have some spots up near Cabela's in Hamburg that I like but it hasn't been too productive these past few years. I would like to figure out the carp in there as they are now the most prevalent species in the river.
I need to get my casting down before I come out with you guys. Getting knots in my leader so I think I’m rushing things a bit.

Welcome aboard.GG

I need to get my casting down before I come out with you guys. Getting knots in my leader so I think I’m rushing things a bit.
I can help with casting mechanics as well as some of the other members on here, and there are members on here with significantly more time in the hobby than me that are much more proficient casters than I am. I'd really recommend finding an angler who fishes dries or streamers primarily as they are typically better casters than a nympher like me, as those two styles are more dependent on a solid cast. It would still be beneficial for you to come out and fish so I could help better diagnose the issues you are having and offer a solution.

The main issues I see in general with new casters is that they often overextend their swings, this results in loop collapse and complete loss of fly line energy. Maybe tighten up your swing, but again, I'd have to look at your cast to properly critique it.

Casting a fly rod is a quick smooth acceleration to an abrupt stop, letting the rod "catapult" the line forward.

You can also help feel the load of your rod by overlining it, then when you get the feel for it you can go back to running a line that is more appropriate for the rod.

Knots in your leader referred to as "wind knots" are caused by the leader not straightening out (most likely on the back cast), thus when you try to cast the line forward it wraps around itself and tangles. This issue is significantly magnified when doing overhand casts with a tandem nymph rig under and indicator.

Another factor that can be often over-looked is getting the appropriate line for the rod in both the grain weight, head shape, the right line for the way you like to cast, and the style of fishing you will be doing. A proficient caster could probably cast any line (within reason) on any rod and make do, but there are benefits to "dialing in" the appropriate line for the rod, something I have spent far too much time doing in my "laboratory" (back yard).

Welcome to this site! You'll find a lot of fine and experienced fishers, tyers, and just good people here to work with you. I'm a born and bred central NYer and have been tying for over 50 years and hosting fly swaps for going on 12 years now. I look forward to seeing your posts.

Kim

Welcome from Maryland. It's a great forum.

Back