new fly line

• Thread starter 56kodiakshooter
  • Start date

56kodiakshooter

I need a new fly line , what would you recommend

Rio gold is always an option. But depending on the rod I really like the wulff triangle taper.

What weight, what species, what type of fly chucking ?

4wt. mostly nymphs, I had a orvis wonder line on it but needs replaced

Rio Gold is a good all around fly line, and great for nymphing.
Scientific Anglers Mastery Series, and GPX are also worth checking out.

Rio Gold is the favorite on my Winston boron graphite rods. It casts wonderfully.

Ron

When should you replace your fly line and backing? I have a couple older reels with line on them that are at least 10-15 yrs old but were never used that much. They look like their in good shape but do you think it's time to get rid of them?

Steve

As long as they float (assuming floating lines), and shoot, use them. Fly lines will crack and sink with use. You may want to treat them with fly line dressing before use this year.

I've had SA lines, that were sporadically used, last 15 years. Stay away from Rio, inferior quality and inferior taper.

Brookie, the ones I have are SA & Cortland. I've been slowly accumulating RIO leaders and tippet because I thought they were some of the best.

You need to try different lines on your rod to see what feels and works right for YOU. The line can affect the action of the rod with your casting stroke.

Swany, Rio's leaders and tippet will be fine. It doesn't have the breaking strength of SA or Maxima but it works fine.

After my experiences with Rio lines, and fishing buddies' experiences, I won't touch their fly lines again.

Last year I purchased and Orvis Hydros WF5 line. I was amazed at just how nice it was. It works well with dries and nymphs. The surprise was how well it did with wet flies. The long belly is really a great feature. It swings a soft hackle almost as well as a double taper.

Everything he just said about Rio is BS.

Their lines and tippet material are fine products and on par with all the other major brands.

Period.

I've used every brand of line, leader, and tippet out there and they are mostly on an even playing field.

Kev

Hey Kev, do you remember Kray's post questioning Rio tapers?

I'm not the only one that has had problems. I recommended Rio to a friend just getting started in fly fishing, that line (Trout) lasted him about 4 months until the welded loop came apart. My Rio Gold failed shortly after (less than a season of use) the coating cracked and came apart. I figured it a fluke so I gave them another shot when I bought my One and Sage recommended it. It sucked. The taper was wrong, it would fail to load on long casts just as I was shooting line. I took the brand new Rio Gold off the spool and burnt it. I have another buddy that had the same problem with Rio's tapers (both Grand and Gold) on a Method and a Winston.

I went back to SA lines and never looked back.

If you want to recommend junk products that's fine, but I'll be damned if I'm going to tell a new person to the sport to use a product that has failed me.

I've had every issue you describe with lines other than Rio. I've used enough lines to find that these issues can happen with them all. Rio, SA, Orvis, Cortland. All of em.

I've had SA lines crack.

I've had an Orvis line break.

I've had Cortland lines peel apart.

But I've also had several of each that performed and held up as well as can be expected.

I can't think of a Rio line that I've had much trouble with. Several Selective Trout lines, a Rio gold, some old windcutters, etc.

All of them were fine.

Likewise, Rio tippet has been my go-to material for ages. SA is a close second. but before that I used Orvis and Cortland for years because that was what was easily available.

Again, all were perfectly fine.

If you want to recommend junk products that's fine, but I'll be damned if I'm going to tell a new person to the sport to use a product that has failed me.

Likewise I think it is a disservice to a beginner to hear only horror stories.

Kev, I can see your point and that's all you had to say.

To call my first hand experience (which is all I offered and prefaced as such) "BS" when you aren't me, don't know me, and weren't witness to said first hand issues, is a disservice as well.

Thanks guys. Best to get it straight instead of getting a bunch of bull. Appreciate your letting me hear about your own experiences.

Back