New boot laces

mute

mute

Anyone ever replace their boots laces? Mine are all torn and half of the top layer is off leaving just the inside core. Long story short the boots are ok but could use new laces. Not sure if they even sell something like that asi couldn't find anything.

It’s rare that I get a pair of wading boots to outlive their laces, but I have one pair of Redingtons that did. More a function of junky original laces and sharp lace guides than the boots being very high quality. I just replaced the laces with a pair of standard boot laces from a big box store. Nothing fancy. I still have that pair and they’re a backup to my Korkers.

Yes, for pair of Simms that I got laces for at a fly shop.

And for (original) Patagonia Foot Tractors Through Patagonia. Called and asked a customer service Rep if they sell them to replace the onces that tore on mine. She said we'll send you new ones that we put on the newer style Foot Tractors as they are much better. The laces just came a few days ago. They didn't charge me anything.

I use paracord. Tape the ends. Will outlive your boots.

I also use paracord.
But I glue the ends so that they don't unravel.

Was surprised to find it in a dollar store not long ago.

I also use paracord. I burn the ends. I've used it for hiking and wading laces. I think I got it at Michael's.

What about Korker's Wading Boots? No laces involved at all. Tighten them up from the back. Plus, they are available with interchangable soles.

If I ever break one of those wires at the back of the boot, I think that will be a problem, and I don't think that they are good hiking boots, but they are very easy on/off boots if you don't have to walk very far.

Ditto on paracord, except I use shrink tubing on the ends and I slightly melt the end to mushroom it so the shrink tube never slips off.

It's almost as good as a factory aglet.

Sounds like I'll be going to find the right diameter paracord. Brilliant

mute wrote:
Sounds like I'll be going to find the right diameter paracord. Brilliant

The normal size (550) you find in the Wal-mart craft or outdoor dept's will work fine. You can also go online and find many sizes, the next size down (425, I believe) is perfect as it's diameter is easy to thread through the eyelets.

Love mine and with the correct sole selection they are great to hike in. The carbide spike sole grab slick rocks better than anything on the market but they aren't great to hike in. The vibram idrogrip is very comfortable to hike in but lacks traction on slick round rocks. With Korkers you get the best of both worlds with out buying two boats. Knock on wood I've never had any issue with the BOA lacing system and I've been wearing Korkers a long time.

Paracord. Good thinking. Duh me. Thanks all!

I've used these for over 2 years and there is no indication of wear. The added bonus is that when you tighten then they grab the eyes of the boot abs don't loosen. I've never had a pair of these come undone. $10 is still $10 however never an issue again.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/72-kevlar-heavy-duty-boot-laces-22543.html?&srccode=GBSHPMN&chnl=ps_brand_pla_mn&region=out_region&gclid=Cj0KCQiAlsv_BRDtARIsAHMGVSZshexO4huzcXiQdfMFpDK9uIzxc2Ru0Z-1P6hX8scjpHTAGbhMHEcaAv5aEALw_wcB

If you want to be a cool kid Yakoda makes some good laces in awesome colorways

Yakoda Guide Laces. $12 with shipping.

https://yakodasupply.com/collections/accessories/products/replacement-wading-boot-laces

I'll throw something out there that won't be embraced, but can give you a bit more life from your laces & shoes....

Just like what a dirty silk fly line does to guides, embedded grit in laces is what cuts through eyelets, lace loops & hooks on wading shoes. When the eyelets get cut, they shred the laces or the shoelaces saw through the lace loops or plastic hardware.

So do yourself a favor and buy two sets of laces. Mid season or at whatever interval you choose, swap your laces and wash the set you took off your shoes so you have a clean pair for the next swap.

It's a little thing, but it helps.

I judge the life of my Simms G3 boots by my laces. I usually replace the first factory set with another set before I have to start thinking about replacing the boot. I have owned three sets of the G3's over the years and it seems to be the norm. Laces last about 3 seasons and the boots 5 to 6 years. I never used any other laces but Simms replacements. No complaints here.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Laces last about 3 seasons and the boots 5 to 6 years. I never used any other laces but Simms replacements.

The stock laces seemed to blow out pretty quick for me. I don't think I've ever gotten a full year out of the original pair of laces on a Simms boot. On the other hand, the replacement laces always seemed different than the originals and those have held up OK.

At any rate, I use paracord now.

Same here with the Sims laces, never lasted a full season. That's why I went with the Kevlar laces they are unbreakable and last.

Back