New and traveling to Hanover PA

C

cryan1980

Hi folks, just started fly fishing this spring sucesses Mainly in Northampton Co. I am visiting family in Hanover PA this weekend and trying to find something close to spend a little time exploring. Will be doing my homework and checking the FBC site later today but anyone feel like throwing out some ideas to help this newbie out.

In the immediate area you have Codorus Creek (wild browns) and Lake Marburg in Codorus State Park. I was just at Marburg a few days ago and large bluegills are everywhere close to shore and eager to eat flies. Up Rt 94 about 30 minutes - you can hit Yellow Breeches. As a beginner, you may want to skip Codorus Creek as I consider it a tough stream to fish. Breeches is much easier and more friendly to beginners.

If it were me, I'd go back to Marburg and chase the 'gills.

Thanks! I think the lake is going to be the target, turns out its about 10 mins from the house

I spent many of my younger days with my grandfather on Lake Marburg (Project 70) catching big bluegills on a fly rod. If the big ones are in the shallow water, go after them. IMO it is just as much fun as trout fishing.

Don

So how was the fishing at Lake Marburg, I'm curious because I've never had any luck in the lake. Maybe I'm fishing in the wrong spots. I spend more time at Codurus Ck.

laszlo wrote:
I'm curious because I've never had any luck in the lake. Maybe I'm fishing in the wrong spots. I spend more time at Codurus Ck.

Do you fish it mainly in summer? If so, by that time the large bluegills and crappies are in deep water. It's a tough lake to crack in summer and this is especially true for FFers. Hit it in springtime and you will find many more panfish close to shore. However, by the next week or so, they start to move deep.

what about fly fishing it for lmb? my friend sent me a bunch of pics of big bass he caught there on a shad lure.

Back