New 6 wt

Back in the day, a 6-wt. made for a fine all-around rod, my favorite was a Fenwick HMG graphite. Nowadays, there are very few 5 wts. that cannot handle a 6-wt. line (sometime better than the 5).

I use what would be considered a fast 5-wt. with a 7-wt. full sinker in the early season, latter I fish dry flies at distance with a 5-wt. floater and the rod handles each task well. A modern 6-wt. may be overkill.

Mark C

Awesome, let us know what you get!

HI, I bought a Sage Pulse 10' 3 wt. from Reds fly shop. Kit comes with rod, reel, line leader, and tippet . This way I get the reel matched to the rod. I ordered it last night. I have mostly sage rods anyway. I have always had good luck with them. I love my two LL rods.
I want to thank all for all your input. Thanks again. :-D

I started throwing large bass poppers with my 9' 5wt. I find that the biggest obstacle is getting the "J" loop just right. The larger the popper the more I find I need to slow down my casts. It's like learning how to flyfish again.

The two most used flyrods I have are the 7'6" 3Wt and the one above. I'm still getting use to my 7' 3wt glass rod.

I became an Orvis flyer back some time ago. I believe that when you find quality in your gear - no sense in changing brands. So staying with Sage is a good choice.

Back