New 5WT Setup

sdelia63

sdelia63

Hi all,

I have recently started an internet search for a new 5 Wt set up. I've been reading all the 5 wt shoot outs and reviews that I can possibly find. It's starting to get overwhelming and i'd like to narrow it down to a few rods before i start test firing them at a shop. I was just hoping for some insight on a good 5 Wt from anywhere in the $200-$300 mayyyyyybe $350 range.

A few rods i've been looking at for just an example are the TFO BVK, Sage approach, echo...i dont know. I'm starting to feel like im all over the map. I know that different rods feel different to different people etc etc. im just trying to build a good base to start comparing.

Anyways, thanks for the help and any input is much appreciated.

I've been doing the same thing. I picked up a cheaper setup that I actually like a lot, but want to get something a little nicer and to use on bigger water, because I selected a shorter rod for my first since I do a lot of smaller streams. I have recently found myself fishing some larger water and wishing I had some more casting power, so I think it should balance me off. I don't really have any shops near by to test cast, so I will have to take a drive if I really want to. And some of the rods I have looked at are small company and not even available near me to try. That said, you basically want to figure out what type of fishing you're doing and what you personally like casting wise. You could also ask some FF friends to let you lawn cast their rods some time if they have one you are thinking about. I have also heard good about the TFO and echo you have mentioned. Maybe a few more to add to your list would be the st croix imperial or one of the greys rods that are a little cheaper.

Goodluck and happy shopping!

You've done the research, the only thing missing is how it feels in your hand and what you can do with it. So go to a shop, line up a few and have your own shoot out.

It's the best way.

I'd look at Redington vapen and sage approach, at that price. I really like my sage flights. I have two, a 5 wt and a 6 wt. The response replaced the flight, check that one out too, it might be worth spending a little extra.

I'd suggest looking into an orvis access rod. With the new recons out you can find an access for about half off. It's a great deal in my opinion, and it's the rod i went to to upgrade. Like previously stated, go feel the rods and see what you like, to each their own.

I have the 9' 5wt Echo Carbon and its proved to be a great rod that I use mainly for the Yough and med/larger waters.. Ill second what Maurice said.
Good luck with your search

Try to figure out how you'll be fishing it (fly size, stream size etc) so when you test cast rods you keep that in mind. Also, with that price range you can look into preowned premium rods.

Thanks all!

I guess i should have stated more clearly what i am looking for. I'm looking for something that can cast a streamer (#6 largest at most maybe) a good distance when needed. I have a 6WT already for casting anythign bigger really. I don't really fish huge water, maybe at most id say 60' (maybe that is big?). So i want a rod that can get out there but also when i need to use it in tight, say 30' or less, it doesn't feel like im holding a broom stick in my hand.

I'm kinda skittish about the BVK for that reason and because i keep reading stories of the tips breaking all the time.

The Sage approach is kind of intriguing but havent heard much about them. anyone ever cast one?

BoyChick, thanks i'll look more into the Vapen. Sort of just glanced over it cause of the aesthetics... but what does that matter really in a quality rod?

If ya'll have any other rods you'd recommend don't hesitate to throw them out there.

Also, i've been reading a little more on fiberglass rods and it sort of sounds like that might be a new route to go. haha.. i dont know. see all over the map.

Thanks again

I'd suggest a 9' 5wt.

Location please.

edit, St Croix legend elite. there literally is no better rod in that price point.

Then learn how to cast with a nice drift.

Originally from pittsburgh area, live in mississippi now...

and thanks i'll definiteley give that a look

If you're thinking fiberglass, the Spring Creek rod from mtnbrookrods.com fits your parameters. 7'6" 5 wt $250.00. I'm in the process of building one right now.

i have an Allen Compass and i love it, you cant beat it for $100 and a lifetime warranty. You also get a discount for being a member here on PAFF

Back