New 10 ft 7 for Erie Steel

ThePharmacist

ThePharmacist

I want to get a new 10ft 7 wt for Erie Steel... or maybe. 10ft 6.... Or maybe An 11' switch. I would consider spending the cash on something high end... Or maybe I will keep fishing my entry level rods that work just fine.

Just for fun what do you think is the best Erie rod money can buy?

What are you using and why do you like or dislike it?

I have a 10 7 echo ion that I feel is too heavy in the hand.

I have a Mystic reaper 10 7 that is nicer. Something is weird about the carbon. When the light hits it right there are weird carbon fiber patterns... Hard to describe buy it bugs me

Check out the mystic switch 5wt, I have my buddies right now, I also have his m-series 10' 7wt. I personally prefer the switch just because of the action of the rod, the switch has a more even flex, where the 10'er is an absolute nymphing stick, fast with the "tuned tip". The switch rod is super universal, single handed 7wt(with a rio gold on it dryflies lay pretty nice) or it really likes shooting heads in the 325-75gr.

Good luck.

Well, I can describe what I'd look for, personally.

10-11 ft 7 wt. Good backbone but a soft tip. A moderate-fast action will do.

Frankly, I simply wouldn't spend my life savings on a rod for Erie. Even if you fish there often. It's just not needed, and might actually be worse. There aren't overly long casts or anything like that. Get something reasonable, like mid-level. Thinkin St. Croix, Redington, etc. Maybe even entry level Sage, Loomis, or Orvis. But the super high priced stuff from those lines, in a 7 wt, is gonna be overly fast. You don't want overly fast!

If you wanna spend a lot of money and want something that might actually make a difference, then spend it on the reel. That's opposite most trout fishing situations. But a good large arbor, with stopping power, and a silky smooth drag, which can function in a variety of temps and even with a little bit of sand can be an advantage. Unlike a fancy rod, the reel actually will, over the long run, catch you a few fish that you would have otherwise lost.

Otherwise, spend your money on gas, a car that can handle some snow, and warm waders/clothes.

Pcray. You didn't answer the question! Haha. I see your point and that I suppose is why I have 2 "cheap" rods for Erie. I enjoy Erie trib fishing so much and think about it so often. I also spend too much time researching and reading about the newest and coolest rods and I just simply want one! Sometimes for me the planning and buying gear part is as much fun as the actual trip. Well.. Maybe not as much fun. But it sure passes the time between trips.

I'd go to the swap forum and buy my 8wt, GL2.

Check out the llbean sliver ghost switches and single handed

the 9'6" 7wt BVK is a pretty sweet rod.

Try casting a Sage VXP 7100-4 - a great Erie steelhead rod. If you want to take it anotehr level, the Sage 7100-4 ONE is an awesome rod, but you definitely don't need it's abilities on Erie tribs. If you were fishing larger rivers, say on the OH side, maybe go with the Sage ONE 7100-4. I love that rod; but, I own the VXP.

Double check the backing on the reel and make sure you have enough for that reel. By having it spooled properly, will help to insure its weight to the butt end of the rod and make it easier to cast.

I used to self spool and not put enough backing on. All my rods felt heavy when I did it myself.

If that doesn't work maybe you only need a new reel to better balance the 10' 7wt that you have. That might just make all the difference you need.

I don't like a rod over 9'6" for Erie tribs. My peeve is when landing fish the longer rods do not allow you to handle the fish without the rod tip bending imo too much. I've seen a lot of broken tips because of that. Also spending more than $300 is a waste because if you spend a lot of time swinging flies, or streamers the cone heads/weights take there tool on the rod finish.
just my 2 ct's

Echo3 Switch 11' 7wt seems like a great rod. I have heard good thinks about the new Orivis Clearwater switch rod from our local fly shop owner.

I built a lamiglass g100 9ft 7wt. For steel. Its medium action and cost about a 1/3 of my 8wt Winston thats super fast ( the kibosh has bin put on it). Thats the kinda rod I usually like. But the "Lami" is a sweetheart with a big steely hooked up.

If you have two 10' 7 wt. rods, I suggest getting a switch rod and line with a skagit head for swinging big streamers. An indicator rod just needs length for line control, you may not love the rods you have but they'll do the job. Why get a third indi rod when you've got that base covered? Go for the switch rod and swing for the fences! Check out the Redington switch rods, good prices and great warranty. I have the prospector 7113-4 and I love it. Redington just came out with a new series of switch rods called the dually which cost less than the prospector line and are worth looking at. Rig the 10' 7 wt for indicator fishing and rig the switch rod for swinging, which covers the steelhead game top to bottom.

I pretty much didn't take any of the above advice. I ended up getting too good of a deal to pass up on a rod that many will say is too light, too fast, too nice for Erie. I like it though!!!! Hence I got Echo Ion and Mystic Reaper 10ft 7's up for sale.

ThePharmacist wrote:
I pretty much didn't take any of the above advice. I ended up getting too good of a deal to pass up on a rod that many will say is too light, too fast, too nice for Erie. I like it though!!!! Hence I got Echo Ion and Mystic Reaper 10ft 7's up for sale.

Lol......if you like it and it works for you.......it works for you. Good luck with your new rod.

Back