New #1 on My "Fish List"

Swattie87

Swattie87

For three or four years now I've pondered and puzzled over the best way to legally access a steep, remote, ravine stream that has been #1 on my "fish list" ever since I saw it on a topo map and researched what it was. The section of stream I've been targeting is 100% on public land, but access via the legal route requires a 3.5 mile hike/bike and then crossing a large, dangerous river...that is often simply unable to be crossed without a boat. Legal access to the stream the easy way, from the other side of the river (above the public land stretch), is 100% blocked by posting in the stream's headwaters. If you're willing, there's a lengthy alternate route that follows the public land tract from the stream's side of the river, but after a several mile hike through thick forest, this route requires an approximate 600 foot repel down into the ravine.

I eventually settled on the 3.5 mile bike ride, followed by a crossing of the river as opposed to the brush busting/repel route. This approach would require a very specific set of circumstances to unfold. I'd want rain (to make the small stream fish better), but not enough rain to blow out the river and make it unsafe to attempt to cross. With yesterday's rain, and typically low large stream water levels going in to the rain event, the timing worked out perfectly for today. I brought along a small inflatable raft and battery powered pump to cross the river with, just in case I didn't feel safe trying to wade across. Turned out to be a good idea, as even with the relatively low river flows, I opted for the raft.

Hope you enjoy the pictures. I had been wanting to fish this stream for a long time, and it was well worth the wait, and the effort. #2 on the list is now #1.

Attachments

• 09-11-15 (4) PAFF.jpg
    09-11-15 (4) PAFF.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 09-11-15 (3) PAFF.jpg
    09-11-15 (3) PAFF.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 09-11-15 (7) PAFF.jpg
    09-11-15 (7) PAFF.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 3
  • 09-11-15 (17) PAFF.jpg
    09-11-15 (17) PAFF.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 3
  • 09-11-15 (18) PAFF.jpg
    09-11-15 (18) PAFF.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 09-11-15 (22) PAFF.jpg
    09-11-15 (22) PAFF.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 09-11-15 (36) PAFF.jpg
    09-11-15 (36) PAFF.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 09-11-15 (29) PAFF.jpg
    09-11-15 (29) PAFF.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 3
Now that's going the extra mile and exploring. That's what fly fishing is about. I enjoyed the story and the pictures.

Gorgeous country! Looks like it was well worth your effort. Thanks for sharing your story and photos on a very well planned outing.

Great story and pictures. Should be the next episode of "Trout Fishing Adventures"

Anyone that works so hard and puts so much effort into fishing deserves to have a good day. Good for you.

Nice but I hope for all that effort you caught at least one bigger than your hand! lol

Awesome post Matt! Glad to see you were finally able to cross this one off your list.

wow. thats what you call working for em.

nice little stream.

Thanks guys.

McSneek wrote:
Nice but I hope for all that effort you caught at least one bigger than your hand! lol

Haha...yeah. The standard Brown in these kind of streams is usually about the size of the one pictured, and I liked the color on that guy. Most fish encountered yesterday were about that size, and that's usually what I expect. I didn't catch anything "big" but there were a few bigger than the one pictured. Maybe 3 or 4 in the 9-10" range and one that went about 13". There were a few dink Brookies mixed in too.

It fished well, by small stream standards. Most of this was likely just the conditions. 59 deg water and flows up a little...pretty much dialed in conditions for small stream angling. If I went there on Wednesday of this past week in low water and heat I probably would have thought the stream was dead. Part of what took me so long to fish this was waiting for the right mix of conditions to warrant the effort, and still be relatively safe to cross the river.

McSneek, funny unless you have never fished a stream like the one depicted. That old boy is a lunker!

Getting there is sometimes half the fun.

great that you made it in ,,, and back out! nice back of beyond stream pics as well.

I like those remote small streams. fun to plan access staying on public land. I fish tiny streams so there are a lot of them.

recently went to one that looked great to me on paper: drains 1.5 sq mi, 8% gradient, good bedrock in headwaters, lucky ez access and place to put car at the bottom. fished really well, nice.

Very cool adventure!! Hard work pays off. Great looking stream too

That's dedication! You had great timing as well. That really is a unique stream, as there's some rock climbing involved to add to the adventure.

Great story and great pictures. With all that trekking, you should be on Mountain men. lol. Thanks for sharing!

If it wouldn't go beyond your willingness to share info, I am wondering how far from the mouth you found this water:

5058_55f38ad09b5b2.jpg

And I ask because the mouth of that creek does not look promising as to the amount of water available upstream. But, having explored such creeks, I have learned that not all streams with skinny water down low are that way or less broad as you head upstream.

Back