Nets

BrooksAndHooks

BrooksAndHooks

What kind/brand of nets do you guys like? I want to upgrade to a rubber webbing net for wild trout especially. I have checked out a few at local stores and online but a lot of them seem rather large. I don't like lugging a large net for miles through the dense woods, it gets in the way at times and is a bother when casting as well. Does anyone know of a smaller net that is of good quality. Mostly for brookies and smaller wild browns.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I like hand crafted nets, you can sometimes get them at FF Shows.

Check out JTA Measure Nets. I have the small size net, rubber bag and it's worked out great for me.

i have one of these on a retractor :

http://www.backcountry.com/brodin-trout-phantom-series-net

it goes on the back of my vest and is pretty much out of the way unless i bend down without it...

its not inexpensive, but it is good quality i think.

Bob Nelson makes some of the nicest nets on the planet. Worth every dime.

http://www.fisknat.com/

Pair it with one of their coupons and you can have this Wetfly net for under $20 from Sierra Trading Post.

I have two sizes - the one above and the next size up. I only carry them when I feel there is a chance for getting into a larger fish. The smaller one goes on backpacking trips; the larger one generally I haul around at night. I highly recommend the rubber nets; they are a vast improvement over a fabric bag, for the sake of the fish, and for the sake of the hook not getting caught in the fabric.

I have a small Brodin net that has served me very well. Would get another when this one needs to be replaced.

PatrickC wrote:
Bob Nelson makes some of the nicest nets on the planet. Worth every dime.

http://www.fisknat.com/

those are gorgeous. i want one.

I'm not sure of the quality, but the local Walmart carries eagle claw nets that are a smaller wood and rubber bag net. I hate to endorse a big box store, but its a budget friendly choice. Def not a beautiful as the other ones recommended.

I've made my own laminated wood frames and can get Brodin ghost rubber net bags.
I don't carry a net though. They're too cumbersome to have hanging around. I just cradle the fish with my hand.

In PA, Don Ward of the Keystone Fly Rod Company is also building nets. He is embedding a magnet in the upper loop of the net so you can grab the handle easier (which hangs from your back). It is extremely innovative, and great to know that a local craftsman in PA is doing this. His site is:

http://keystoneflyrodcompany.com/nets.html

TC

While there are many styles of net shapes, rims and handcrafted styles (I've built a few of my own), in my view the most important aspect of nets is to consider the bag depth.
I fish mostly for bass and trout and use a net only if I wish to photograph the fish. Many of these photo fish are in the 20+" range (when I'm lucky) and since I usually fish alone I want a deep, soft mesh bag. Such a deep bag will enable me to keep a large fish submerged in the water when the fish is netted head-first by pinning the net between my knees or the handle under a foot. The fish can rest in the bag and breathe while I fumble for the camera or wait till a fishing partner can get to my position to assist with the pic. This is a critical issue IMO. If you don't photograph fish you can use any type of net, or none at all. If you seek to photograph fish a net really helps and I design mine using the deepest mesh bags I can find.

Reactions: Kms
SteveG wrote:
I'm not sure of the quality, but the local Walmart carries eagle claw nets that are a smaller wood and rubber bag net. I hate to endorse a big box store, but its a budget friendly choice. Def not a beautiful as the other ones recommended.

I have this exact net and it has served me well. For $20, it's hard to beat!

Wow thanks for all the suggestions guys! Gona look through them and figure out what I can go with. Safe handling of the fish is definitely my #1 priority, and I probably won't use the net 90% of the time, but want a good one when I do.

I like the one I got at a walmart. It is made by Cortland and is wooden with clear rubber webbing. Doesn't hurt their slime coat and doesn't get my fly stuck in the webbing.

Wow after looking at the price of hand crafted nets I just figured out what I'm going to do in my retirement with all the scrap wood ive collected over the years. I figure their at least marked up 150% and thats with the rubber and or ghost bags. Definitely better then spoon carving.

BREECHESANGLER wrote:
I like the one I got at a walmart. It is made by Cortland and is wooden with clear rubber webbing. Doesn't hurt their slime coat as much and doesn't get my fly stuck in the webbing.

Fixed it for you...

look for the one with the bamboo rim on it..the thing is crazy light weight. It doesn't come with a rubber net though. Picked up mine at sportsmans up here and I grabbed one somewhere down their cant remember what shop I was at. Cost Is 30-35 bucks.

Chaz wrote:
I like hand crafted nets, you can sometimes get them at FF Shows.
This, very much this. I bought about ten years ago a "second" from Sperrey at the NJ FF show. Birds Eye maple, it's really gorgeous... I think I paid about $20, and I am yet to find the "blemish" or whatever is wrong with it that stopped it from being front line.
Mike B
PS: Just FYI, the show is coming up again in a couple of weeks...

BREECHESANGLER wrote:
I like the one I got at a walmart. It is made by Cortland and is wooden with clear rubber webbing. Doesn't hurt their slime coat and doesn't get my fly stuck in the webbing.

I am also a fan of this cheap net. I don't have a ton of money to spend of my fishing gear and the net is one of the tools I feel I can go cheap on. The rubber Cortland net has held up fine.

I am sure that someday I'll splurge on a nicer net.

Back