Net Suggestions

Can anyone explain why people are using the gigantic nets? I understand in a boat you need a long handle. You can get a 24" trout into a fairly average sized net so why the huge hoop and long handles for wading?
I like some of the fishpond nets because they are lightweight. Personally I use a Bass pro net that cost ten dollars. Very soft mesh. I do know the guides like to stand around looking cool with giant wood nets as they shout orders to their clients.
Same reason people put huge spoilers on stock sub-200 hp front wheel drive vehicles. A big net screams "look at me!" Vanity is the ONLY reason I do this hobby. You think I actually care about catching fish?

Same reason people put huge spoilers on stock sub-200 hp front wheel drive vehicles. A big net screams "look at me!" Vanity is the ONLY reason I do this hobby. You think I actually care about catching fish?
So you're saying the opposite of those practicing the three Bs. (Beach it - Bonk it - Break its neck)

...Another thing to take into consideration is how agile you are, its easy for me to squat down and really wrangle a fish in close to me with my short handle net, other guys might not be able to do this and a longer handled/longer length net may make it easier.

While I rarely carry a net (because I don't take pictures of fish any more and I really don't care if I lose a fish I'm going to release), one situation where I always carry a net (so I don't hurt the fish) is when fishing from the bank.

Often times the stream bank is considerably higher than the water's surface or I am at other places like the wall at the Run. In those situations a long handled net is the ticket.

The kind I use are aluminum, telescoping & collapsible and they fold up small enough to fit in a scabbard on my belt.

Last edited:
While I rarely carry a net (because I don't take pictures of fish any more and I really don't care if I lose a fish I'm going to release), one situation where I always carry a net (so I don't hurt the fish) is when fishing from the bank.

Often times the stream bank is considerably higher than the water's surface or I am at other places like the wall at the Run. In those situations a long handled net is the ticket.

The kind I use are aluminum, telescoping & collapsible and they fold up small enough to fit in a scabbard on my belt.
I tried using a net while trout fishing yesterday for the first time in 55 years. Same net too!

Can anyone explain why people are using the gigantic nets? I understand in a boat you need a long handle. You can get a 24" trout into a fairly average sized net so why the huge hoop and long handles for wading?
I like some of the fishpond nets because they are lightweight. Personally I use a Bass pro net that cost ten dollars. Very soft mesh. I do know the guides like to stand around looking cool with giant wood nets as they shout orders to their clients.
I mainly fish 10' and 11" rods so the long net helps cut down the angle of the bent rod and seems to really helps you get the net to the fish faster. You can reach out farther and get the fish in the net greener than when you have to wear it down more to get it closer to you. If you are fishing with other people long handles are really nice to net each others fish. There is a reason many guides carry long nets.
My opinions and I'm sure lots of people that have never fished a long handled net will disagree, but if you haven't fished one do you really have a solid review?

Back