Net Suggestions

Shimedog

Shimedog

After taking a tumble down a hill earlier this morning my net is now in several pieces. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for a replacement. This net was roughly 2 feet in length, but I have been thinking about possibly getting one with a longer handle. Looking for any comments on the practicality of a longer handled net. I don't float anywhere but I imagine a longer handle would be easier to land fish with. Thanks in advance!

I only had a mid/long handle net for a bit for the same reason: fell on my small net and destroyed it. The long handle gets annoying for hiking / climbing around in brush. It's especially annoying with a sling pack, if that matters to you.

I've gone to keeping both a long handle and a smaller net in my vehicle. I use the long one for easy access stillwater and boats, and I use the short for almost all trout applications. Lots of cheap options out there with passable rubberized bags, etc. if you don't demand some $500 fishpond carbon fiber racecar.

For trout, Eagle Claw makes an affordable (about $20) one with a 17" net opening in a net of about a total of 24" long. Don't know about Pottstown, but in Altoona you can find them at Unkle Joe's Woodshed.

I really like the Fishpond Nomad Emerger sized net. Just seems to be the right size for what I need. The combination of fiberglass and carbon fiber make for a very lightweight net. This is beneficial when carrying it about. They also float if you drop them, but wood floats too. I also like the grip coatings they use, very easy to grab ahold of (I'm an ergonomics guy). If I want to bump up to a larger size I'll reach for my Nomad mid-length, but I have found the Emerger to be just fine for the majority of fishing I am doing unless I am fishing from a high creek side bank, which for the most part is unlikely. I like to keep the mid-length around if I anticipate larger fish are about but I seldom catch a fish longer than 16 inches. I bought my Emerger for $100 off of a forum member. Over the course of your lifetime you will easily get your money's worth out of the net.

Longer handles are beneficial, especially when fishing a longer 10+ foot rod.

Wooden nets are fine though and will get the job done. If you want to get a super artsy styled wooden net I think that is pretty cool, I just like the lightweight feel of my Fishpond nets.

Also, get something with a rubber bag, the mesh style nets are incredibly annoying to deal with when hooks get into them.

Last edited:
Going old-school with my overloaded vest, I find that my back-hanging net from BassPro acts as a nice counterweight to all the stuff loaded up front. The size and wood frame makes it a tad heavy for hikes over a mountain, but the price was right for a rubber net-bag that doesn't tear fins and scales on fish I want to let go. The handle is just long enough to allow it to flop forward at inopportune times, but it's also long enough to land a fish on a 7.5' rod.
If you want a custom job on a wood frame, Tina Lewis will make one for you.
You'll want to be careful with one of those.
Regards

Thanks for the idea, that would be a banger of a post for sure. I'm sure I could get at least two comments out of that one.

Fishing small mountain freestones, where it's often thick getting around, a net is just begging to get hung up. I never use one.

I don't carry a net on the super small streams where I expect little trout to be. I just shake these fish off when I catch them. I almost lost a Fishpond net taking it through the woods when hiking out of a trickle of a creek. Would have lost it to the woods had my fishing partner failed to tell me it fell out.

To avoid snags I only use folding or telescoping folding nets but almost never use one when wading and I have the chewed up thumb as evidence... ;)

However when not wading and fishing from a high bank or wall or at places like the Letort or Big Springs where I don't wade I always have a long handled telescoping folding net...

Thanks all for the suggestions and comments. Also glad to hear I’m not only person to have broken a net. If anyone has an old fishpond or something I’ll gladly take it off another member before a company. Thanks!

Two things to consider with the long handle: how tall are you and how do you carry your gear (vest, waist, sling)?

I am 5'10 and probably shrinking as my arches fall, so I went with a Fishpond hand net and have been pretty happy. BUT I don't love how large or soft the basket material is (the mesh not the dimensions which are great). Barbless hooks penetrate the basket deeply. You also have to deal frequently with fish on the dropper and the anchor fly falling through the bottom of the net (and then hooking the soft net when you try to free it).

Buyer's remorse since my cheap rubber basket Frabill was probably perfect for what I needed and I thought it was time I bought a "quality" net. I am intrigued by the new Orvis entry because the net might be different than Fishpond's but I have not held one in my hand yet.

My two cents from fishing the Fishpond for 150 trips or more.

I have a fishpond mid length nomad 30 or so inches for many years now, and wouldn't be without it. I'm in my 60s , not so nimble anymore and it doubles as a wading stick which I really need..I tuck it crossways in my wading belt..never an issue carrying it.

Two things to consider with the long handle: how tall are you and how do you carry your gear (vest, waist, sling)?

I am 5'10 and probably shrinking as my arches fall, so I went with a Fishpond hand net and have been pretty happy. BUT I don't love how large or soft the basket material is (the mesh not the dimensions which are great). Barbless hooks penetrate the basket deeply. You also have to deal frequently with fish on the dropper and the anchor fly falling through the bottom of the net (and then hooking the soft net when you try to free it).

Buyer's remorse since my cheap rubber basket Frabill was probably perfect for what I needed and I thought it was time I bought a "quality" net. I am intrigued by the new Orvis entry because the net might be different than Fishpond's but I have not held one in my hand yet.

Thanks for posting, was envious on the long handled fish ponds but just could not justify it ...will stick with my cheap rubber net for now😀

We've found that rubber makes a better netbag material than the "gentle mesh" made out of black cloth - despite how ugly it may look. When my youngest started fishing (before he started flyfishing), his favorite lure was a baby brown trout plug. Those trebles were impossible to get out of that cloth without destroying it - even though we mashed barbs. The cloth didn't strip off scales or shred fins, but neither does the rubber when it gets wet.

BUT I don't love how large or soft the basket material is (the mesh not the dimensions which are great). Barbless hooks penetrate the basket deeply. You also have to deal frequently with fish on the dropper and the anchor fly falling through the bottom of the net (and then hooking the soft net when you try to free it).

@Nymph-wristed has some great points here. I can say that it is sometimes annoying when fishing a tandem rig to have one of the flies (or both if the fish spits the fly in the net) fall through the net and get caught on something.

I have the new Orvis net (larger model) (bought it for steelhead) which has smaller holes in it. It does seem to prevent the problems caused by the bigger holes in other net bags, however small they are, with the Fishpond net. I am still overall very content with my Fishpond nets. My only complaint with them is that the new grip material is super grippy and can get stuck in the integrated sling pack net holders. This could be alleviated by wrapping electrical tape around the handle, a mod I could do myself.

Hey Nymph Wristed, have you considered swapping the bag out on your net? That may help alleviate your current issues.

@Nymph-wristed has some great points here. I can say that it is sometimes annoying when fishing a tandem rig to have one of the flies (or both if the fish spits the fly in the net) fall through the net and get caught on something.

I have the new Orvis net (larger model) (bought it for steelhead) which has smaller holes in it. It does seem to prevent the problems caused by the bigger holes in other net bags, however small they are, with the Fishpond net. I am still overall very content with my Fishpond nets. My only complaint with them is that the new grip material is super grippy and can get stuck in the integrated sling pack net holders. This could be alleviated by wrapping electrical tape around the handle, a mod I could do myself.

Hey Nymph Wristed, have you considered swapping the bag out on your net? That may help alleviate your current issues.
Thanks for the input about the Orvis net, Ocelot. Yes, I think I actually told shimedog in a PM that I was very happy with the frame and size but when the net needed replacing I would try to find a rubber coated mesh like the Frabill. I agree with the point above that the cloth is not great. Even wet, I remember it getting slimy which means the fish was less slimy. And I fish the winter a lot. Cloth bag becomes a cloth funnel or a dunce cap??!

The other good reason to consider the long handle is the point rancid made. I even think Fishpond sells a rubberized cap to put over the end if you want a staff?? When I was a young bull, every old head fishing the Brodhead used a long handle aluminum net to wade. Some of the old heads might still be alive and on this here forum too....

Last edited:
After taking a tumble down a hill earlier this morning my net is now in several pieces. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for a replacement. This net was roughly 2 feet in length, but I have been thinking about possibly getting one with a longer handle. Looking for any comments on the practicality of a longer handled net. I don't float anywhere but I imagine a longer handle would be easier to land fish with. Thanks in advance!
As a long time tennis player I think the nets made from old tennis racquets are pretty cool. You can pick up an old graphite frame racquet off craigslist for under $20 and just buy an appropriate size netbag from Janns and thread it on - just as lightweight as the fishpond nets, just as durable, and works great - won't make you cry if you lose/break it. Plus the handle is a little longer than standard nets. You can spray paint it if you don't like the graphics.
I made a brookie size net from an old racquetball racquet and its lightweight and works great.

I carry a net only on steams where I expect to catch large fish.
Currently use a Frabil aluminum, which is lighter than wooden ones.
And has a plastic coated mesh, with basket style bag

Back