Net Holder

A

atticus

Looking for recommendations on best way to carry a net. Most devices I've researched have at least some negative feed back. I just tried the Fish Pond Confluence net release 2.0. That did not work for me. It held fine but I struggled to get it reattached up at the top of my vest. My goal is to try and keep it out of the way as much possible.

I bought a coiled line with magnets at each end. One magnet was removed from the line and attached to the D-ring on my vest, the other magnet was zip-tied to the net frame loop opposite the handle. One end of the coiled line was attached to the net handle, the other end has a carabiner I clip to the bottom of my vest. In transit or when not in use the net hangs upside down on my back. Pull to detach the magnets when the net is needed, use it, then put it behind your back loop up and the magnets grab to hold it in place. Out of the way, very rarely gets snagged.

They make zingers strong enough to retract a net. That's what I use now.

Example

I bought a coiled line with magnets at each end. One magnet was removed from the line and attached to the D-ring on my vest, the other magnet was zip-tied to the net frame loop opposite the handle. One end of the coiled line was attached to the net handle, the other end has a carabiner I clip to the bottom of my vest. In transit or when not in use the net hangs upside down on my back. Pull to detach the magnets when the net is needed, use it, then put it behind your back loop up and the magnets grab to hold it in place. Out of the way, very rarely gets snagged.
This ^

Looking for recommendations on best way to carry a net. Most devices I've researched have at least some negative feed back. I just tried the Fish Pond Confluence net release 2.0. That did not work for me. It held fine but I struggled to get it reattached up at the top of my vest. My goal is to try and keep it out of the way as much possible.
I used to have difficulty until I saw this.

I returned my Fishpond magnetic release
It was so strong I would have torn the D ring from my vest deploying the net. Fly Shop did not beleive me at first. Exchanged for a cheaper brand that works better.

Went out today and just stuck it in my wader belt in the small of my back. attached the elastic cord to my belt just in case . Worked perfect ,easy to get in and out, and it stayed in place no problem. problem solved.

As with a lot of fly fishing items I search for the holy grail.... I've used the Fishpond leash as Kelly described and it worked well with the exception of re-hooking the net to my vest. Maybe I'm just totally uncoordinated but I would struggle with getting the magnets to line up without using both hands. I've since moved to a Umpqua chest pack and use a retractor which I'm not totally fond of since it is always pulling the net back. Sometimes when netting a fish I like to have both hands to mange the fish and remove the hook. The pack has a built in net holder which I find totally useless for short handle nets.

I might have to get inventive and work a a better mouse-trap! :)

https://gearkeeper.com/industries/fly-fishing/fishing-net-retractors/

I've had mine for years. Best 25 bucks I've ever spent. Orvis sells them too with their name on them, same thing

Hammerhead Industries the maker of the Gear Keeper retractors now offer versions of some of their zingers with an aluminum housing for about twice the price. Maybe not worth it to some folks but the aluminum version can be rebuilt and serviced.

FWIW - I've had zingers serviced when I accidentally burned through the cord with a cigar... :oops:

Hammerhead Industries the maker of the Gear Keeper retractors now offer versions of some of their zingers with an aluminum housing for about twice the price. Maybe not worth it to some folks but the aluminum version can be rebuilt and serviced.

FWIW - I've had zingers serviced when I accidentally burned through the cord with a cigar... :oops:
The link I posted has the aluminum ones too.

Better than hitting your cigar with fly line, burning it, and getting a face full of ash.

I stick my net in the net holder that most sling packs seem to have. It keeps it up and away from getting tangled in line. Not the best way to transport a net through brush thought. I hate having things attached to zingers and such as I like the free-form movement I am afforded with my system. Lately, I have found that the finishes on the newer Fishpond/Orvis nets are a bit grippier. It's weird because my Nomad has a less grippy finish and I can pull it out no problem. I may have to put electric tape over my handles to slide them out of the pack easier. The grippier finish on the net is less beneficial than the older finish. This makes the net harder to retrieve out of my sling. Also if your sling isn't perfectly straight the net can be hard to pull out. I had an instance on Erie last year where I had to fight my net out of my pack. That may have costed me that fish.

After reading this thread I may have to try one of the rigs here as they intrigue me. I have some packs that have no net holders so I will have to use a new way to rig my net if I wish to use it with these packs.

I got this as a gift recently. From my limited experience it is working well

Believe it or not, I've used one of these double keyrings for years. I expect it would be impossible to use with gloves, but after learning how to use it, the only drawback is it requires two hands.

I got this as a gift recently. From my limited experience it is working well

This doesn't work well in deeper water, the current pulls on the net that hangs in the water!

Back