Net for Erie Steelhead

G

GlenmooreJohn

Greetings, Heading up to fish for steelhead for the first time and looking at purchasing a bigger net. Can anyone weigh in on the minimize size net I should buy? I was looking at the Frabill with the 13 x 18" hoop. Will that work for the typical size steelhead caught? Trying to strike a balance and keep net size reasonable. I might do this trip once a year so I don't need anything fancy or expensive. Thanks for any advice.

From a thread just a few days ago…

From a thread just a few days ago…

Thanks, but starting at $200+ that falls into the expensive and fancy category for me. Just looking for something practical and inexpensive.

Here is a steelhead/salmon net from FishUSA, which is right up there anyway. You could order it online and pick it up when you get up here. $44.99.

Here is a steelhead/salmon net from FishUSA, which is right up there anyway. You could order it online and pick it up when you get up here. $44.99.

Thanks RLeep2, very helpful! I am thinking either this one or the Frabill. I wonder if the coated netting on the Frabill is a better option than the nylon on the Ranger net - perhaps better for the fish/less tangles.

I'm going up to Erie with a Fishpond mid-length net as the net I wanted on Mad River Outfitters is out of stock and I MUST have this net. If I can recall I think it was around $150 which is more than I think you are willing to pay. I think it was a New Zealand built net and had a built in scale. I will probably resort to just tailing them...

I'm going up to Erie with a Fishpond mid-length net as the net I wanted on Mad River Outfitters is out of stock and I MUST have this net. If I can recall I think it was around $150 which is more than I think you are willing to pay. I think it was a New Zealand built net and had a built in scale. I will probably resort to just tailing them...
Thanks everybody, I appreciate your input. I ended up going with the Frabill net with the 17x22" hoop. Hopefully I make good use of the net!

The Ranger is a good bet. I was fishing in AK with a father and son that each had one - easily handled the Pinks we were all catching.

I just learned recently that Orvis (actually Fishpond) has a net now that follows the paint scheme of the Helios 3 blackout edition. Looks like it has an extended grip too and the net portion looks large enough to accommodate a steelhead comfortably. I am going to look into buying this net for my upcoming steelhead trip next week and will post a review on this net if someone is interested.

Back