Need to up my midge game - tips and hints please

Letort

Letort

I was on the Letort the other night (but this applies to almost any body of water) and an occasional rise was happening. Nothing apparent in the air for a hatch, so assuming they were after midges. Tied on a 26 Griffith gnat but no interest. Was really tough to get a good drift with the cress beds popping up through the water surface and grabbing line and leader.

I am probably the world’s worst midge fisherman and have caught far fewer trout on midges than any other fly. I am guessing that presentation trumps pattern, given that we are talking about 20-26 size flies. But maybe I am off base with the pattern right off the bat.

What are some rules of thumb to help out a with the midge game? Go to patterns?

I was on the Letort the other night (but this applies to almost any body of water) and an occasional rise was happening. Nothing apparent in the air for a hatch, so assuming they were after midges. Tied on a 26 Griffith gnat but no interest. Was really tough to get a good drift with the cress beds popping up through the water surface and grabbing line and leader.

I am probably the world’s worst midge fisherman and have caught far fewer trout on midges than any other fly. I am guessing that presentation trumps pattern, given that we are talking about 20-26 size flies. But maybe I am off base with the pattern right off the bat.

What are some rules of thumb to help out a with the midge game? Go to patterns?
Dear Letort,

Fish more when the crick is higher and muddy! ;)

Seriously though, I've tied and caught fish on midges down to size 28, but I haven't bothered with that for years. I did it because I could, but at my age it would take me a month to tie on a size 28 fly.

Hopefully you get a better more serious answer and please don't think I was mocking you or making fun of you.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

During the warmer months of the season, try a terrestrial in smaller sizes - 18 and 20
I’ve caught lots of midging fish on a #20 Crowe beetle
And if it gets a take, it’s well worth not having to play the midge game

Back