Need some good help

M

mbaker

Shopping for a 4wt here are my choices

1. Orvis superfine trout bum
2. Sage txl
3. Scott E2

Bday coming up and i decided I need, cancel that want another rod. Anybody have a reco? Or own any of these?

Sorry I can't help, but that sounds like a nice dilemma to have. Like the time I heard a fellow complaining about how much tax he had to pay on his millions, and I thought, "I'd love to have that problem."

I did own a Fly Logic FLO + 8'6" 3pc 4 wt-- 475 bucks

it was a rocket launcher and great for dries and handled nymphs

the only problem is that it has an Ultra-Fast action and did not fish well close up.......tough to load the rod at close range

fly logic has a program called Try Logic--they let you try the rod for 14 days to see if you like it--if you don't, just ship it back

would be a nice rod for beautiful Fishing Creek

just my thoughts--never owned any of the above mentioned rods

I used the Fly Logic rod for fishing Tulpehocken Creek-- where I caught plenty of Carp on that rod!!!!

2bonthewater

Dear mbaker,

Search ebay and the whole rest of the world for a used Sage 4-490RPL.

You should be able to find one used in nice shape for somewhere around $ 225 to $ 275. You won't find a nicer 4 weight I promise you that no matter how much money you spend.

The mold was broken when that rod was made.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

What do you like about it?

wetnet wrote:
What do you like about it?

Dear wetnet,

I'm going out on a limb here and assuming you were asking this question of me?

Except for the fact that the rod is perfect in everyway there is nothing much to recommend it. You can fish size 6 stonefly nymphs with shot or size 1/0 wooly buggers and switch over to midges with the same rod and never skip a beat.

It's pretty much the perfect trout rod for 99.9% of trout fishing in PA. I've used mine anywhere from the main stem Delaware to Young Woman's Creek and it worked as perfectly as I could work it every time.

The only rod that comes close for all around versatility is the Sage 389 SLT, but that rod lacks just a little bit of "umphh" when you really need it.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Sorry Tim it was to you.

I won't be upgrading from my old dog this spring but by the fall I'll hopefully be ready for something new and more versatile. My son loves his Sage for it's sensitivity but he bought a certain rod for a certain purpose. I need something to cover a wider range of fishing conditions in a 4 weight 9'. Even if he gave me his new rod it wouldn't be for me. I might start checking out ebay a little early. Thank You!

Thanks for the comments everyone. Made my purchase... I went with the Orvis, beautiful rod, casts well in the yard. We'll see what happens in a couple of weeks. Probably wont take it Sat. looks like we will be chucking and ducking.

Back