Need Recipe for Small Stone Fllies

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

Getting to be that time. Any ideas are appreciated.

A black pheasant tail.

This one works well for me. It is easy to tie and catches fish. Give it a try.
Bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9EqQliR4C0

The nymphs are not black. See here for some nice pictures.
Here is a thread from last year with a few patterns. The one I posted worked well for me, but a soft hackle pheasant tail is a good choice too.

Here's one I created at the vise though I'm sure there is similar patterns out there. It's all dubbing and biots.
Hook- 14. 3xl nymph
Bead-Allen 2.8mm black nickel
Tails, abdomen, wing case, legs, antennae- black goose biots
Thorax and tail hump- black hares ear
zT92rs6.jpg

It has about 8-10 wraps of .20 lead on it as well.
Some of them I use black flashback for the wing case or turkey or black thin skin. You can use D-rib, wire, or dubbing for the abdomen. I've done some yellowish versions for yellow sallies as well. For the thorax you tie in your wing case, then a ball of dubbing, then your legs. Pull the wing case over and repeat two more times.

This one might suit you better.
03SdGXb.jpg

Yellow biots.
Yellow wool mixed with a little natural hares ear.
Gold wire rib.
Turkey wing case.
Gold bead.
And a dark brown marker.

MD_Gene wrote:
Getting to be that time. Any ideas are appreciated.

A small, dark grey deer hair style caddis, size #20 will cover dries. For the nymph, a #20 tan colored PT style nymph will work.

Keep 'em both very sparse and slender.

For the early black and brown stones I have two patterns that I fish. I tie them in sizes 12 to 20 to cover the many different species. The nymph pattern was I originally developed as an emerger. I got some laughs on that one as the stoneflies emerge on the banks. When stoneflies hatch there is a drift that ensues where they will drift in the surface for a considerable distance wiggling in the surface. If I choose to fish a nymph deep, I still use this pattern. Tails: Biots I like dk brown
Abdomen: Black or dk brown dubbing
Rib: Maxima mono
Thorax: Black Ostrich
Collar: Starling

The Dry that I fish is a pattern I have trusted for 33 years, I never miss this hatch. I fish to it every year. The first trout I caught on a dry fly was on this hatch with this pattern. The adults when laying their eggs flutter their wings and skate, any breeze will quickly blow all the adults back to the bank.

Body is tied like any ant, simple enough. Between them tied rearward forming a tail I tie two strands of strait black deer hair on each side forming a V shaped tail divided by the rear ball of dubbing. This tail forms the V shaped wake like the flutter naturals when skating and also provides a stable support to make the fly right correctly.
The wing is a pair of grizzly hackles wound catskill style. The wings in motion while fluttering are very well imitated by these hackles.
I have never found it necessary to imitate the adults with a downwing imitation. I can see this imitation easier as well.
I will try to post some pictures later.

Here is a picture of another one I tied.
Similar to Dcap240's pattern.

Attachments

• 20131031_102014_resized.jpg
    20131031_102014_resized.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1
Wheff and Dcap those are awesome ties. I like the antenna and the bead.

I agree with Becker that a black Pheasant tail works for me as well this time of year

This is what I use. Adjust the color and size for what you are matching. These work very well and are really esay to tie. The ones shown are size 16 3x long.

GenCon

Attachments

• P1010448.JPG
    P1010448.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 2
I tie PT's on the 3X long curved hook. I believe I use yellow dyed PT.

Back