Need help with cane rod?

BradFromPotter

BradFromPotter

Anybody know anything about this rod? Has anybody ever owned or cast one? There is no line weight on the rod. I've seen lines from 3 wt up 7 wt used. I tried it with a 4 wt but I still think at least a 5wt would be better.

Attachments

• 300781255_593676035667587_7498401143203970974_n.jpg
    300781255_593676035667587_7498401143203970974_n.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 299368549_4806138306153633_9060219029538358381_n.jpg
    299368549_4806138306153633_9060219029538358381_n.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 68
That appears to be a
Anybody know anything about this rod? Has anybody ever owned or cast one? There is no line weight on the rod. I've seen lines from 3 wt up 7 wt used. I tried it with a 4 wt but I still think at least a 5wt would be better.
That appears to be a Farlow's/Sharps built 6-1/2' 2pc, 1 tip, 5wt. 2.35 oz. Lee Wulff "Midge."

If so it is made in England so the snake guides twist in the opposite direction from US made guides and it is impregnated like an Orvis meaning it it should be impervious to water damage EXCEPT at the wraps and grip like any other rod.

There were several iterations of that rod including a 1 piece version. The two piece rods were almost always built as one tip rods so if you have a rod bag and it only has two compartments, it is all there.

They were marketed as 5 weights, but you may like it better with a different line weight.

Good luck & enjoy!!

Last edited:
Brad

Nice! Try a 5wt you will love that rod!

+1 for trying The Classic Fly Rod Forum.

That appears to be a

That appears to be a Farlow's/Sharps built 6-1/2' 2pc, 1 tip, 5wt. 2.35 oz. Lee Wulff "Midge."

If so it is made in England so the snake guides twist in the opposite direction from US made guides and it is impregnated like an Orvis meaning it it should be impervious to water damage EXCEPT at the wraps and grip like any other rod.

There were several iterations of that rod including a 1 piece version. The two piece rods were almost always built as one tip rods so if you have a rod bag and it only has two compartments, it is all there.

They were marketed as 5 weights, but you may like it better with a different line weight.

Good luck & enjoy!!
The Sharpes 1983 catalog listed them as 6 weights.

The Sharpes 1983 catalog listed them as 6 weights.
Interestingly enough, I've heard them described as "broomsticks" with some folks preferring a 7wt line on them...

An Orvis Flea they're not... ;)

You can see Lee using a short rod in this video with a short grip.

I do remember reading that. But not sure why the grip is so small.
I'm hardly an expert, but maybe it's a UK thing (as it was built in Scotland) on rods that short??

Ironically, like small grips even though I have big hands. The Superfine grips on some of my Orvis rods and the small grips on my Leonard 38H are my favorites.

I'm hardly an expert, but maybe it's a UK thing (as it was built in Scotland) on rods that short??

Ironically, like small grips even though I have big hands. The Superfine grips on some of my Orvis rods and the small grips on my Leonard 38H are my favorites.
Not a UK thing. The Brits were horrified at rods Wulff used.

I kind of like small grips as well.

when I say small, I mean really small! My hand covers the grip & some!
I also prefer small grips and most of my rods have ones that are less than 5-inches long.

The grips on these two Orvis Superfines are similar to your friends Farlow/Lee Wulff and are 4 5/8-inches long. Rest the heel of your hand on the reel seat and your index finger on the top flat:

The grip on this Orvis Deluxe is 4-inches long and it works just fine:

Big grips look clunky on short rods anyway...

I sent my grandfather's Orvis Battenkill bamboo fly rod to Art Weiler in Kunckletown, PA to be reconditioned. I knew what I had because of the Orvis serial # and their customer service.

Art builds bamboo fly rods and is very knowledgeable about bamboo fly rods.

You can find him on the internet. I am sure that if he had that fly rod in his shop, he would be able to really nail down exactly what you have.

Back