Need help with a bass rod.

Railking

Railking

I'm in the market for a bass rod to play with this summer. Not looking to spend a ton of cash but want a decent quality rod. Looking for an 8wt for throwing big bugs, plus an occasional steelhead trip. There are tons of decent rods in under 175 at cabelas. I've always like Redington and was also looking at an Echo Ion.
Then I came across a custom Fenwick HMG 8wt a guy is selling. There seems to be a pretty big following of the old Fenwicks but I don't know much about them. He built it 10-12 years ago I believe and it's been in a case in his closet since. Looks like a sweet rod. He wants $140 for it. Seems like a good deal but I couldn't find a whole lot of comparable rods for the price. Any suggestions?

Buy a Redington Pursuit in 7 weight and another in 8 weight. It would be cheaper than that Fenwick. I hear the Ion is tough as nails but much, much heavier than other manufacturers makingthe same make / model.

Way back in the last century, I used to work for a shop that sold Fenwicks. The HMGs were pretty nice rods. I still have one here that I keep forgetting to return to my brother. LOL

Back