Need help finding freshwater mussels from fellow fishermen!

D

direstrats220

Hi everyone, I am a graduate student conducting research in stream water quality in watersheds in PA. We're looking at the effects of increased salinization, industrial, commercial, and agricultural runoff, and discharge from treatment facilities on the quality of our PA streams and rivers. I work mostly in western and central PA, from the allegheny reservoir all the way down to the raystown branch of the juniata. Most of my time fishing is spent on smaller streams chasing little native brookies, which is one reason I need YOUR help.

I am currently looking for samples of mussels/mussel shells (recently killed or still alive) in waterways that do NOT have treatment plants discharging hydraulic fracturing wastes. This disqualifies blacklick creek and most stretches of the allegheny all the way from allegheny national forest down to where it crosses RT 80. The reason I need YOUR help is that it can be super difficult to find them even on bodies of water that we know have mussels. Often there are long 1/4 mile stretches that yield 0 specimens, only to stumble across a muskrat/raccoon refuse pile and get ~10-20 great samples. Often I end up going back to my car freezing cold, covered in mud with numb hands and not a single mussel! We've had some success with sampling on muddy banks near bends where sediment is deposited, but it typically takes an entire day to travel to the sites and sample, and its very frustrating to spend that time/money for no payoff.

So my question for you all is, do you know any stretches of river or stream that you recall seeing a lot of mussels on? If so let know where, it would be a great help.

The Juniata River from McVeytown to Lewistown has plenty of mussel shells all summer long when I float it. I don't really recall a spot that I haven't seen them.

You might look into the French Creek watershed in NW PA and its entire tributary system, especially from from Meadville upstream. The main stem itself has always been rich in mussels and so have all the branches and most of the larger tributaries like LeBoeuf Creek, Muddy Creek and the Conneautee watershed. I'm pretty sure there are no fracking water discharge sites above Meadville. I'm unsure about the rest of the system, below Meadville. Additionally, over the past couple decades, this watershed has been studied to a fare-thee-well, mostly as a result of the creation and actions of the French Creek Conservancy. They may have a significant amount of information that could be of benefit to your research. Here's their main web site: http://www.frenchcreekconservancy.org/

Good Luck!

yo dir

Good on you. Your research soumds fascinating. Have you been talking to http://www.stroudcenter.org/ ? They have a great setup and may already have data.

I've seen piles of mussel shells in the Tulpehocken below the dam. I'll keep on the lookout for more.

Thanks a bunch guys. I think I'll try checking out the Juniata between McVeytown and Lewistown. Anyone seen any mussels on the frankstown branch by chance?

lestrout, I hope your username is a play on les stroud =). Ive fished the tulpehocken a few times below blue marsh, I'll have to check that out. If you can remember, about how far below the dam were you seeing shells. Sometimes damns can interfere with mussel populations, good to hear they're doing well there!

rleep2, thanks so much man! theres actually a big brine treatment facility in Franklin that we are monitoring/studying, but getting samples upstream of that on french creek would be perfect! We're looking for good clean background samples like that. I was confused for a minute, because I used to fish french creek and french creek state park down in SW PA when I was a kid.

If you want to extend into the north central part of the state, I can show you many places with freshwater mussels, and some as big as your hand.

duckfoot what streams/river are you thinking of? I've done some fishing on slate run and pine creek, but never really looked for mussels. Theres quite a bit of oil and gas activity in the area, and more than likely we will end up sampling around there. A big ol' honking shell could give us years of historical data that would be really valuable. We do have to be careful about which species we sample, though. There are a lot of endangered species of mussels in the US, and they are very important for maintaining healthy waterways.

I have seen plenty on Indian Creek, below the reservoir. About a half mile down from the dam there is a nice bend...I would look there.

Lycoming / Sullivan County. I know of at least one place that has huge mussels.

I've considered actually digging them up and eating them.

I'd actually recommend not eating too many mussels from streams in PA. Because they're filter feeders, mussels can efficiently accumulate contaminants from the environment, thats one reason why they are effective for us to study. Fish can actually do the same thing in their fat, but if you're not eating a ton of them, it not a big issue. Plus they taste good haha.

Also there is the whole endangered species thing. Its actually illegal to harvest some species, and with something like 120 different species in PA and ohio it can be tough to tell a legal one and an illegal one. I've got a bunch of places on my list to sample from, but I am definitely interested in some big, old mussels. I may send you a PM at some point. If you happen to run into any big ones and you remember, I'd be happy to pay shipping or even meet up and check out the water with you.

Welcome Dire - sounds like you have an interesting and important project underway.

We had a similar request some years ago from a graduate student studying freshwater mussels in PA. I sent him some shells from my local creeks and rivers and I'd be happy to do the same for you.
Here is the previous thread (I was "Fishidiot" back then). . .

Shells

I hope everyone realizes it is ILLEGAL to take mussels and clams from PA inland waters.

Yes, I know it's illegal. I was being a little facetious because I eat so many bushels of oysters. :p

No problem, just ask. Right now I know of two places that have surprisingly big mussels, probably in the 3" - 5" range, oval-shaped. The otters must live off the things.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, I might know a third I found last fall. I don't remember because I it was dark and I was humping duck decoys. I didn't think much of it then because I was trying to stay dry and kill birds at the same time.

Huh interestingly enough my research permitting is what allows me to sample certain species legally. In 2011 they changed the rules from certain number of mussels to simply 'no mussels'. I would likely have to add your name to my collaborators list to allow you to sample, and even then you would have to be able to tell the difference between elliptio dilatata and elliptio complanata. Not sure if I can edit my topic, but really the most helpful thing is finding spots to sample. I actually enjoy the physical sampling, plus I have undergrads who need to justify being paid =).

Oh, you're one of *those* people who made me a gopher as an undergrad!

Soon, I shall have undergrads at my disposal. I cannot wait for free labor!

I think I know of certain spots on Slippery Rock Creek for instance you might be interested in. But could you include pics so we know what you're looking for... mussels vs. clams, etc. ?

Back