need help choosing 4wt rod for beginner

Tiltaxp wrote:
Not a huge fan of a & a really poor staff there, made a few really crappy assumptions, needless to say that day I was off to blow a paycheck and went to the evening hatch, which is an orvis dealer right down the street. Funny thing was they acted like they were the superior ones when the orvis shop was always friendly. It was quite some time ago but my money gets spent where there at least nice to take it.

Pissed off certified gear head. Critical mistake.

jdaddy wrote:
There is absolutely no way I could support the recommendation to buy a 10-11 ft 4wt as ones primary rod.
jdaddy I agree. I own a Cortland 10' 5 weight Brook series. I bought the rod strictly for nymph fishing to get that extra foot of reach. I would not recommend it for a primary rod however. More of a specialized tool.

If you read my reply you would have noticed i mentioned nymphing ,also i catch fish with the brook on all styles ,dryflies,soft hackles,streamers and nymphs,and the rod is an absolute blast and also a steal,Its a 4 weight too, not a five,although a five is nice i can always use a 5 weight line if the conditions permit.and in places the 10 footer on the Lackawanna is wide enough to warrant the extra length.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Back