need advice

StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin

I just purchased of ross evolution 1, fitted for 2,3,4 wt line. it is black and im trying to find a rod, either 3 or 4 wt and 8' to 8'6'' in length and wouldn't like to spend more than 200$ and I want it to fit and look good with the reel. anyone have any good reccommendations?? also I forgot to mention this, I fish for stocked trout 90% of the time and have been using a 6wt. is a 3 wt going to make a big difference? I have caught stockies on 4 wts so I know what that's like.

What size streams are you going to fish, and what type of flies do you want to fish with? Once you start spreading out to different rods, most people want gear that is specific for each task.

3wts are fun. Check out the Allen ATS series. Might be 7'6", but that's part of the fun of a 3wt.

Just checked...their 3wts are 7'3".

You can get an Allen Compass 4wt 8'6" for $100.00. I never used that particular rod, so I can't speak for it specifically, but I had an ATS that was pretty nice, especially for the cost.

The_Sasquatch wrote:

You can get an Allen Compass 4wt 8'6" for $100.00. I never used that particular rod, so I can't speak for it specifically, but I had an ATS that was pretty nice, especially for the cost.

Wasn't it free??? lol (minus the cost of the ticket)

I was speaking about the cost to the general public, not the cost of buying Jam raffle tickets!

That depends, the 7'6" ATS I rec'd thru the photo contest is labelled as a 3wt on the rod (shows 3/4wt on the web site), and I set it up with a 4wt for my girlfriend. Nice casting rod for a graphite stick and she's been doing quite well with it.

i personally love the soft slow rods, so i would look at the tfo finesse series, redington ct or tempt series(tempt is the new ct), or the cabellas tqr or cgt series rods. all short light and light line rods and yeah 3wts RULE!

my .02 good luck on your search

Back