Need a new smallmouth rod - non fly...

K

kbobb

I know this is not fly fishing so please PM me if you want.
looking for a new spinning rod for smallmouth with the typical lures 1/8 - 3/8 oz twisters, in line spinners, rebel crawdads. Around $100 - 150. Everything from wading the Susquehanna/juniata to canoeing lakes.
Thanks

This isn't going to be a huge help but...

I have a bunch of Cabela's XML 2 pc. graphite spinning rods that used to be their top of the line rods @ around $90. I bought them back in the days when Cabela's included a PVC rod tube so they are close to 25 years old.

In any case, three of the rods I own were described as having a "medium light action." I first bought the 6 footer and liked it so much I bought the 6'6" and finally the 7'0" version. They have a strong enough butt to quickly handle any smallie I ever caught, but flex in the upper half so they feel great casting anything from bait to soft plastics and don't feel like a broomstick when you hook-up.

They aren't what I would prefer for largemouth where bigger baits, weeds and dense cover necessitate a heavier rod, but they STILL are my absolute favorite spinning rods to grab when I am expecting something feistier than a trout. I use the 7 footer the most and always the 7 footer for smallmouth.

I don't know what Cabela's/BPS has in their line-up to compare these days, but if there is anything similar described as "medium light," it might be worth taking a drive to Hamburg.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks BB - I have a very old BPS "bionic blade" UL that works fine for light stuff/trout but is a bit soft for 3/16 - 1/4 oz. Was in the local sportsman store this weekend and saw a huge array of technique - specific rods out there - many of which felt like I could use them to "bust a rack" at the pool hall after fishing.
As you suggest I'm thinking 6.5' - 7' medium light. Will see what the spring sales bring.

...Was in the local sportsman store this weekend and saw a huge array of technique - specific rods out there...
Conventional fishing has got as complicated as fly fishing in recent years with technique specific rods for every species.

As someone who still prefers conventional tackle to fly gear for most warmwater endeavors, I'm sure glad I bought those Cabela's rods all those years ago (including a couple baitcasters) when there wasn't as much to choose from. ;)

Medium light is what I would recommend for a river smallmouth rod as well. Anything in the price range you mentioned should be a solid rod and fit the fishing applications you mentioned nicely. Good luck!

I agree that ML or M in 7 feet will serve you well. Check out Fenwick HMG series in the 99 dollar range too. I have high end rods and low end rods, and those HMG and HMX even Aetos rods are still some of my favorites. The used market is huge too! My bass buddies go through gear worse than those fly guys in head to toe Simms and a stocker locker on the roof of the Range Rover Defender :)

Medium light is what I use too, both for SMB and for American Shad. I have had mine for a couple of decades and back then medium light was difficult to find off the rack in brick and mortar stores, especially in a 6.5’ length. Can’t say I’ve looked lately.

I'm going to go off the wall here and at a higher price. Lamiglas g 1000 9'6 light action. My brother has a g 1000 he uses for salmon and steelhead and it's a badass rod.

Almost all of my smallmouth fishing was drifting live bait and I used to use a browning syntec 9' rod that I preferred to a lot of others.

Second choice would be st croix premier 7'6 medium light.

I hardly spin fish at all but I preferred longer spinning rods than normal (and I like shorter fly rods than normal) so go figure.

I loved the Cabela’s crappie rod 10’ to float night crawlers and hellgrammites.

What's the budget Bob?

In budget category <$50, Berkeley lightning rod. Hard to beat for the price.

Next tier <$90, Abu Garcia vendetta. This model is pretty stiff so med/light is plenty of rod. Fenwick eagle is pretty good too if you can find one.

In the $110 - $150 range, St Croix mojo yak rod, Abu Garcia Ike models, Bass Pro carbonlite 2.0, St Croix premier, Fenwick HMG.

Of you are looking at more expensive than that, I can't help. I look for something between 6' and 7'6" with line weight 6-12 pounds and a lure weight 3/16 - 3/4. Longer rod helps tossing further distance with some of the lighter baits and fighting fish from a boat. I've owned or fished most of what I have listed. Just get the right model and you'll be all set.

Conventional fishing has got as complicated as fly fishing in recent years with technique specific rods for every species. MARKETING.
FIXED THAT FOR YOU.;)

BTW, I used to get crap for the amount of Cabela's gear I used. Now that you can't get it I'm beginning to see that I was not alone. I think I only have used a spinning rod at the beach for the last 30 years.

BTW, I used to get crap for the amount of Cabela's gear I used. Now that you can't get it I'm beginning to see that I was not alone. I think I only have used a spinning rod at the beach for the last 30 years.
I love the Cabela's baitcasting rods I own from that series too. They are just the right action to do whatever I ask and throw whatever I want despite the current marketing hype that keeps telling me I should have a designated rod for every bait type...

...AND, they are two piece, a rarity in the world of baitcasting rods. The two piece feature alone has made it easy to resist the urge to look at anything new in 20 years.

I have many M and ML st. Croix spinning rods for river SMB. For your intended use a ML should be your rod. I like the split grip mojos but I also have and like the triumphs, premieres and others I can’t think of. You can’t go wrong with any of them in my opinion.

I spent many years fishing for smallies, mostly in rivers but a few lakes too. My favorite rods, purchased long ago, are an upper end St. Croix, a couple St. Croix Premiers, and a Loomis Bronzeback. All of those are now above your budget range, especially the fancy St. Croix & the Loomis Bronzeback. However, for travel, exploring, and my current wading in pursuit of bass (and trout too), my new favorites are the Berkley Lightning Rods. I have a couple older 5'6" 2 piece LR light action rods, and newer 2 piece 6'6" LRs, one ML and the other M action. I have been impressed with the performance of both the older and newer versions. Bringing in largemouths that decided to pick up an extra couple pounds of weeds on their way to shore wasn't a problem. And latching onto a big smallie in current (aways a possibility on the Susky) is a real test, which the LRs passed. I like the convenience of the 2 piece rods for travel, but the one piece versions are my preference if transport space isn't an issue.

What I really like about those rods is that even with recent price increases, they still run about $45.

Personally, I think there are many options in that price range that would make excellent smallmouth rods. I think that there's FAR more difference in the $100-150 rods versus the under $50 rods than there is between the $100-150 and the $150-400 rods. The Fenwick HMG has been mentioned and it's an excellent choice, but St. Croix, Daiwa and most/all of the others also make good choices in that price range. There was a time that I also would have recommended Cabelas branded rods, but I don't know if that's a thing anymore or if the quality has suffered since BPS bought them out.

Back