Need a good tying base. Any ideas?

i also do blog reviews!! :lol:

Ill keep you in mind. My design is top secret at the current time. ;)

Dude, if you could make one etched with my dry fly logo, that would be BADASS. I'm working on a full blown web store and I'll even sell them for you. I'd definitely be willing to take one or even pay you some cash for it, and review it.

I picked up a nice peice of granite for free from some place down the streett from my work on my lunch break. I'm thinking I might just epoxy the damn thing onto the granite instead of drilling it. I have the small base piece from some crappy Cabelas pedestal I got for xmas a few years back so no loss.

dub pm sent

email sent to email listed on your site

I was actually able to drill through it with a regular $4 carbide drill bit from Lowes. Only problem is I dont have a drill bit big enough. I got about 3/4 of an inch down on the biggest bit I had, which is about 50% too small. The bit was starting to dull a little, but it did work. I figure, I pick up two bits tomorrow in the right size, and it will cost me $10 for the whole thing. I already have the epoxy so that wont cost anything. I'm gonna try to finish it tomorrow. I'll post up pics if it works.

Cool, we usually would burn up bits that were not diamond. Glad to hear it worked!

I use a piece of flag stone that i took from a job i worked on. dosent look the cool but it work. i use my C clamp at home but keep the flag stone in my car if i want to tie when i get to the water. if you want to do the bases on a large scale you are going to need a diamond drill and maybe a saw.

So I think the one minute epoxy I bought last year should have been used last year. Been half an hour now and it still isn't solid.....

Bummer, you're not alone with that one. Just curious, check to see if one of the tubes half clogged up on you. I've had that happen before. I did not get the right mix and it never set up, I cleared the one tube and it was fine.

dubthethorax wrote:
So I think the one minute epoxy I bought last year should have been used last year. Been half an hour now and it still isn't solid.....

I usually use jb weld epoxy. One tube is white, and the other is black. And when you do a proper 50/50 mixture, the color should be a medium gray.

I've kept tubes of it for quite a few years, and it still worked fine

Back