Need a good tying base. Any ideas?

D

dubthethorax

Now that I've organized my tying station, I'm looking at moving away from the ghetto wooden tying station I built with a C-clamp and just using a pedestal base.

My problem is that sometimes I really apply a lot tension on my flies, and the smaller base I have just doesnt cut it. I was looking at one of these granite ones:
http://thegranitefly.wetpaint.com/

They look sweet but they are pricey. Any other cheaper alternatives out there that are heavy and solid?

what about getting a piece of granite from a counter top installer. might have a broken one around, all you have to do is drill a hole for your vise. epoxy the piece in and done..

or some heavy tile and mount your vise.

As having a background in that industry, I actually have thought about starting a small business around granite fly bases. I have all the connections still to get granite for free or or pennies. I jusy don't know if it is worthwhile to start. What the interest in them would be. Even talked to DaveS about fabricating the metal nut.

I'll be your salesman

Can't you stay with the c-clamp with your new set up. I know alot of people like them( pedestal) but I never understood why they don't fall over. You're right I never tied on one, always had a c-clamp. All in what you're used too I guess.

I have a Regal with the clamp mount and faced the same problem as you, I needed a base. After looking at the Regal options, $90 or $125, I opted for the granite. I've had it since March and am very satisfied with it.

I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest that you really don't need a big heavy base. In my opinion, and it is just opinion, if you are pulling on the thread hard enough to move the base, you are either pulling too hard, or pulling in the wrong direction. I made the base below for my travel vise almost 2 years ago. It's easy to carry around the house and into the back yard, so I probably tie on it more than my other vices. It is made from cherry with a cork bottom and is about as small as I could make it because I wanted it to fit inside my travel bag. I've never had a problem with it sliding or tipping.
The granite cutout is a good idea, and you could probably do something similar even with a piece of corianne counter. But at that point it might make more sense to just forget about the base and mount the vise into the table top.
Mike.
DSCF0791.JPG

Here's mine.

When my son first built this about 20 years ago, I thought about how long it would take me to disassemble it.

He built it as a Bike ramp. There are about 30 to 40 nails in it.

I've now used it to help move a refrigerator, get older people up stairs, and just about everything else you could imagine.

I think every household in America needs one of these.

Attachments

• ramp.jpg
    ramp.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 5
It's not as attractive as the granite one, but for $40 the peak base is as solid as they come. I have a regal now which is more than sturdy enough, but the Peak is still heavier and more stable.

Peak base

WOW.........$50.00 for a stacker . i guess i better get one cause soon my existing might get me in trouble , .30-06 brass shell casing.WE'VE COME A LONG WAY BABY!!!!!!

My first vice - a thompson 360 - came with a nice heavy base that really anchors the vice well.
So, when I moved up to a regal - I saved a few bucks by buying the c-clamp model. Then I cut and threaded the 3/8" rod so that it screws into my old base. Works fine.

You might be able to pick up a used heavy base cheaply.
Or even possibly get something from a metal or welding shop that would work

Decided to go the whole DIY route. A local granite gallery just said they'd give me some remnants for free. Now I just gotta figure out if I can drill it without cracking it.

DUB,

If you want to go the Tim the Tool Man Taylor rout I can get you a 1" thick steel plate, burned in the shape of a trout and get my shop guys to drill and tap it for vice attachment ;) Would go around 40 lbs per square foot. Could get you this for 50 bucks LOL. IF you pull hard enough to move that bad boy you have some strong thread. LOL

You need a diamond bit to drill through it. To get one it will probably cost you $50. Also, you will need a grinder to attach the bit to.

why wouldn't a concrete bit work ?? they are cheaper...

Because concrete is soft compared to granite. A concrete bit will not work. It will jump, skitter, and probably burn the bit up, way before he makes it through.

often the DIY route is much more expensive in the long run. I'd just pony up and buy the granite from the granite fly or Mike.
I might even get one myself!!!

Yeah - granite is very tough stuff, and would be quite hard to drill IMO
I also wonder how you would thread it - or do you just bolt it from underneath?

Mike's offer sounds like a pretty good deal to me

You can't thread a hole that large. The best way to create a granite base is hammerdrill a hole. Hammer in a brass expander that is threaded. Invest in a brass clamp piece that fits the vise. Screw the vice piece into the granite. Another way would be to not drill any holes. Get the brass vise holder and some two part granite epoxy. Scuff up the area you are gluing and use the epoxy to attach.

I will soon be alot richer. This made me think of a design i can get made where i work. Look to see it soon :) Thanks dub for posting this I may send you one for free just review it on your blog for me ;)

Back