NB Susky Catfish survey

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
North Branch Susky survey PFBC>

https://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/Fisheries/BiologistReports/Documents/Bio2021/4x02-09-NBSusqRiver.pdf

It looks like the flatties are there and growing.

I find it interesting that the PFBC writes up and publishes a recent catfish survey and Delaware River SMB survey and yet no smallmouth surveys for the Susky have been released for a few years now.

The Susky SMB population numbers had been watched closely in past because of a decline and were building back, but now no info is being released by the FBC.

Is there any health or consumption recommendations for these flatheads. Are they in the same category as Channel Cats? Are most anglers releasing them?

Baron wrote:
Is there any health or consumption recommendations for these flatheads. Are they in the same category as Channel Cats? Are most anglers releasing them?

I assume the consumption recommendations are the same as channel cats. Catfish are a bottom feeding fish and I would be cautious to eat them, especially the bigger ones which can accumulate chemicals and heavy metals over time. And yes, many if not most anglers release flatties.

afishinado wrote:

https://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/Fisheries/BiologistReports/Documents/Bio2021/4x02-09-NBSusqRiver.pdf

I find it interesting that the PFBC writes up and publishes a recent catfish survey and Delaware River SMB survey and yet no smallmouth surveys for the Susky have been released for a few years now.

The Susky SMB population numbers had been watched closely in past because of a decline and were building back, but now no info is being released by the FBC.

check out the PFBC Virtual Fisheries Summit scheduled for this Saturday. https://www.media.pa.gov/pages/fish-and-boat-commission-details.aspx?newsid=367

The first presentation is from the Susquehanna River biologist on fishing rivers for smb. The press release states that the presentations will be available live on Facebook and will be posted to their youtube channel afterwards.

lycoflyfisher wrote:
afishinado wrote:

check out the PFBC Virtual Fisheries Summit scheduled for this Saturday. https://www.media.pa.gov/pages/fish-and-boat-commission-details.aspx?newsid=367

The first presentation is from the Susquehanna River biologist on fishing rivers for smb. The press release states that the presentations will be available live on Facebook and will be posted to their youtube channel afterwards.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Thanks for the link.
Interesting to see the rapid movement upriver into the NB by flatheads. Will be even more interesting to see the long-term impacts (if any) and -even more important in my view - the extent to which FH move into tributaries in the watershed (if they do this).

In the meantime, there's some very good channel cat populations up in the NB as is the case downriver. I think we FFers sometimes don't realize how popular catties are for conventional anglers. They have a large following and represent many man-hours of angling effort.

Dave_W wrote:
Thanks for the link.
Interesting to see the rapid movement upriver into the NB by flatheads. Will be even more interesting to see the long-term impacts (if any) and -even more important in my view - the extent to which FH move into tributaries in the watershed (if they do this).

In the meantime, there's some very good channel cat populations up in the NB as is the case downriver. I think we FFers sometimes don't realize how popular catties are for conventional anglers. They have a large following and represent many man-hours of angling effort.

Yes ^

I fished the Susky for smallies quite a bit last year from my kayak.

Most outings I saw very few anglers smallie fishing for the during the day.

Back at the launch in the late evening there was often a steady stream of anglers in jet boats and jon boast going out for the nite all rigged up for flatheads.

I talked to many and they reported the fishing has been really good (I can't say that for my success FFing for smallies last season).

There are even guides and outfitters on the Susky specializing in nite cattie fishing.

I wonder to what extent the FH in the lower river have impacted the channel cat population? I have no doubt that the big FH will eat the catties... perhaps in upcoming years we may see a drop in cattie population that follows the rising curve in FH numbers(?).

Or maybe not.

Dave, I am one of those anglers that have spent many hours of my life pursuing catfish. They are a wonderful, hard fighting, and tasty gamefish..

I have never caught a flathead...not yet, anyways. I really plan to target them this summer with streamers on an 8 weight.

Afish,
One difference is that the Delaware had not had a report written about the adult SMB for many years; the Susquehanna has frequently had an annual report. The regional staffs usually get to choose which subset of reports written will appear as “Biologist Reports” and they like to put out some variety rather than dwell on the same water body year after year. You will note that in the case of Area 6, for example, it did not always put out a Delaware Estuary striper report under “Biologist Reports” even though one was prepared annually for the ASMFC.

Mike wrote:
Afish,
One difference is that the Delaware had not had a report written about the adult SMB for many years; the Susquehanna has frequently had an annual report. The regional staffs usually get to choose which subset of reports written will appear as “Biologist Reports” and they like to put out some variety rather than dwell on the same water body year after year. You will note that in the case of Area 6, for example, it did not always put out a Delaware Estuary striper report under “Biologist Reports” even though one was prepared annually for the ASMFC.

Understood, but given the recent history of the Susky's decline in population and it being the largest and arguably the most popular river for fishing the surveys should be published. Plus many, if not most anglers are following the progress, or perhaps the regression of smallmouths in the River. As well, data studied on a consistent basis is more meaningful to help discern the direction the data is pointing.

afishinado wrote:
Understood, but given the recent history of the Susky's decline in population and it being the largest and arguably the most popular river for fishing the surveys should be published. Plus many, if not most anglers are following the progress, or perhaps the regression of smallmouths in the River. As well, data studied on a consistent basis is more meaningful to help discern the direction the data is pointing.

I couldn't agree more.

Susky SMB data should always be published and the lack of data for 2019 and 2020 is a significant shortfall by the PFBC.

If you feel strongly about it, then just use the contact ap on the web site and request copies of the report or the related graphics.

Imagine having to use an app just to request the findings of a 2 year old study done with your monies.

Guess Ill have to, but i got the feeling the results are not good otherwise they would be published after declaring a "comeback".

If you watched the presentations today there were several discussions providing info on the status of the smb populations and disease prevalence in the susquehanna.

Work.

Anyone have a break down?

The videos are on the pfbc Facebook page and YouTube. You would want to watch the river bass and then the follow up discussion video.
The follow up discussion video hits on recent recruitment classes, disease prevalence, factors on spawning success etc

Back