Native Brook Trout Adventure Shot on Kodak 16mm Film

I always enjoy the quality and cinematic efforts by the guys over at Allegheny Native with their Pennsylvania Fly Fishing videos. Much of the video they shoot is in far out of the way areas of Northern Pennsylvania that always inspires me to jump in my car. This video has a little twist with many of the shots having been filmed on a 16mm. Video is hard enough, but filming on darker cloudy days in tree covered streams with 16mm film? That's a tough one to pull off.

Follow the guys at:
https://www.alleghenynative.com/

S
It's a great short movie. I enjoyed watching it. Due to schedules/life, I mostly go bluelining by myself, but this brought me back to those special occasions when I'm able to do it with others.

S
This looks like a very cool video. I will have to find the time to view it and become immersed in it.

silverfox
I liked identifying the places in most of the shots. A lot of familiar places there. I'm pretty sure I've stayed at that exact campsite before.

We all know the place with the view because it's one of the only places to get a good cell signal for miles. :ROFLMAO: Oh, and the comment about taking 30-45 minutes to get to a place that's only a few miles away. So true.

Swattie87
I liked identifying the places in most of the shots. A lot of familiar places there. I'm pretty sure I've stayed at that exact campsite before.

We all know the place with the view because it's one of the only places to get a good cell signal for miles. :ROFLMAO: Oh, and the comment about taking 30-45 minutes to get to a place that's only a few miles away. So true.

I recognized the location too. Verizon is currently in the process of putting towers along the ridge that makes the border of the three main drainages in that area. There’s a few dead spots still (where they were specifically is one of them) but for the most part, you can now get a signal (with Verizon) from the valley bottoms in that area. It’s not great, but enough to text and make a phone call.

V
Thanks.
Excellent. The brotherhood of brookies!!!
The brotherhood of flyfishing!!!

This is the real living the stream.

salmo
I loved this video. I kind of reminded me of he scene in Christmas Vacation where Clark gets locked in the attic and watches old movie reels of Christmas when he was young. My parents couldn't afford a movie camera, only a Kodak like this one.
I still have it.

TimMurphy
Dear Dave,

I enjoyed this a lot. Back when I did this kind of fishing there was only film, or someone handy with a pencil and a sketch pad so I really appreciate the effort to use film though out the movie. To me at least, it lent an air of authenticity to it, as if I was watching an episode of American Sportsman with Curt Gowdy.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

caddisflyer
Is there a film revival happening?

I've got loads of color film slides of streams, trout etc.

Lots of black and white negatives too.
We are so used to seeing everything digital and video that film now has a certain look some people enjoy. Some people are shooting film in vintage cameras and coming up with interesting images. Those old color slides really have a distinctive look.

DaveKile
We are so used to seeing everything digital and video that film now has a certain look some people enjoy. Some people are shooting film in vintage cameras and coming up with interesting images. Those old color slides really have a distinctive look.
I have been shooting a little picture film in a few different camera bodies. The lag time from shooting to seeing my images is weeks and pretty costly. I will play around with it little more, but it's tough. I have done more Polaroid cameras and film. I like them a little better. An interesting hybrid is the Fujifilm Instax printers. A way for digital cameras and smartphones to print to a analog picture.

I can't image the effort for these guys to capture the movie film, send it off to get processed, once returned review, digitize and then edit. The cost expensive and time is months.

TimMurphy
I have been shooting a little picture film in a few different camera bodies. The lag time from shooting to seeing my images is weeks and pretty costly. I will play around with it little more, but it's tough. I have done more Polaroid cameras and film. I like them a little better. An interesting hybrid is the Fujifilm Instax printers. A way for digital cameras and smartphones to print to a analog picture.

I can't image the effort for these guys to capture the movie film, send it off to get processed, once returned review, digitize and then edit. The cost expensive and time is months.
Dear Dave,

I shot and developed a couple of rolls of 35mm B&W film at home this Summer. It was an easy process using a monobath developer and I was pleased with the results. Scanning the negatives with a DSLR and inverting the negatives in Lightroom was easy peasy too.

I did however ruin a roll of 120 film, but that was because I used a film that was not compatible with my development system. Had I known that before I tried to do it instead of after I'm confident I would have gotten decent results. I just needed to use a developing tank and a developer-stop bath-fixer rather than the monobath developer.

I have a couple more 35mm rolls that are nearly finished and ready to develop. If they work out I will buy a developing tank with a 35mm/120 reel and some conventional developer like D-76 to do my 120 film.

I can see myself developing color film in the not too distant future. The conversion process will de different and may cause me to abandon the idea of color film. Time will tell.

I developed film 45 years ago, and even enlarged and printed the pictures. I enjoyed the process of seeing something through from start to finish. I still do, but digital scanning allows me to dispense with the need for an actual darkroom. Any decent printer you can buy today for your computer will produce quality prints in B&W or color.

I know I'm weird, but I'm having fun! ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

My car-fixed by Tim Murphy, on Flickr

caddisflyer

I cannot imagine doing movies! And editing them. I have been shooting some 120 film in a couple different older cameras. Shooting some color and black and white. It is costly. I found a place called Perfect Image in Lancaster area that sells film and processes my film and digitizes it. 3 day turnaround, I am mostly using Ilford black and white and Kodak Portra in color.

Harry3
That video reminded me of catching native Brookies in an Adirondack stream at my in-laws more than 50 years ago.

Back