Native brook streams

J

JasonC

Can anyone recommend any closest to Philadelphia? I’ve never had the experience of fishing for native brookies and I’m looking to cut my teeth. Doesn’t matter to me if it’s on state game lands, state forests or state park lands.

There is a ton of mapped stream information out there. Get on pfbc website check it out. Find a stream listed for natural trout reproduction near you and go fish it!

Jason - unfortunately, not many people will share this type of information with you. Highly doubt anyone will ever share a good brook trout stream that close to the city as they don't want any more traffic on that water. The closest streams to Philadelphia, in my opinion, get hammered and are well known, hence why I drive at least 45 minutes to an hour and a half out of the way to find good water. I was new to the area about 3 years ago - and I'll tell you from experience, you aren't going to learn much unless you do your research, and you'll only learn so much on a forum like this. You just need to look at a map, hop in your car and drive to go explore and fish. Buy yourself some books on PA trout streams, a topographic map of eastern PA, use Google, and the PAFBC interactive trout map: http://pfbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=65a89f6592234019bdc5f095eaf5c6ac.

I myself have been using the PFBC map to find wild brook and brown trout streams and I have had great success. It is a super easy resource to use. Just be careful, there are a lot of streams listed, but be mindful that many run through private land. I have wasted plenty of time trying to find access to good water - it's all a part of the process - sometimes you're going to get skunked, sometimes you're going to get lost trying to find places, sometimes you're are going to waste time trying to find fish in a stream that's overfished, etc. My advice is just find a stream on a map that has brook trout listed, hop in your car and go give it a shot. Go look around the Poconos. There seem to be a ton of wild brown trout streams compared to wild brookie streams until you get more north of Blue Mountain.

You want to find streams that meet these two conditions:

1) On the PFBC wild trout list.

2) On public land (state forest, gamelands, etc.)

On maps you can see that there is not much of this close to Philly. You have to be willing to make the drive.

I've been using the PAFBC list and have found some streams I'm going to check out. I wasn't looking for exact streams per se as I'm well aware these are coveted waters and no one wants to divulge a good thing. I was hoping more for a general area and one thing that keeps popping up is the Blue Mountain area. I have no idea where that is but I'll surely find it. Would you say this area is the closest area to Phila that would hold native brook streams? It seems to me the best counties that are going to be the closest counties are Berks and Lehigh as I'm coming from the NE part of the city; Lancaster would be closest if I was coming from South Philly. I'm going to focus my efforts on lower Berks county as I feel like this will be the closest/shortest driving distance for me that would yield the best success to find a brookie stream. One last question, when the species of trout is listed with the streams on the PAFBC lists, is that information 100% accurate?

Drive PA Turnpike NE Extention about an hour and a half out of the city and you'll drive right through Blue Mountain. The scenery does become much more mountainous once you pop out on the other side of the tunnel - you're in the Poconos.

There are a fair amount of wild brown trout streams in Berks, Lehigh and Northhampton counties - and their most northern boundary is essentially Blue Mountain, so a fair amount of streams trickle down out of the mountain. Once again more north you go - on the other side of Blue Mountain - Carbon, Luzerne, Schuykill and Monroe counties have significantly more options - with more brook trout streams.

You won't find many mountain brook trout streams around Lancaster and surrounding counties - it is relatively flat for the most part (broad generalization). I would focus your time more North - where if a stream doesn't produce or work out you can drive 15-30 minutes to another one right in the area - there is just a higher concentration of class A/wild trout streams in the Poconos.

The PAFBC species listing is not 100% accurate. I recently fished a designated class A brook trout stream and all I caught were wild brown trout, that said I did spook a big brookie. It was also a tributary of a well known wild brown stream, so I'm not surprised I caught more wild browns than brookies.

Jason, get yourself a copy of Trout Streams of Pennsylvania, by Dwight Landis. This great book gives you many possibilities, and explains access to lots of streams. Also, a Pa Atlas & Gazetteer will show you how to get to many of these spots as well.

Jason – Have you tried out the advice given to you in several previous similar threads, and mentioned again above here? Better to get out fishing, than sit inside typing. Especially with the excellent small stream fishing conditions much of the state is experiencing this Summer.

Again, it’s not my intent to offend you, but instead to sincerely help you…You’re not going to get very many (if any) responses that give up the names of specific small wild Trout streams to fish. On some level, recognize that it’s probably in poor taste and a breach of etiquette to ask for that kind of information, or expect folks to be willing to share it with someone they don’t know. Even if some posters might be willing to share that kind of information privately, they may be turned off from doing so by repeated requests from the same individual to share it publicly.

I’ll do you one better. As opposed to telling you a specific stream to fish, I’ll tell you my exact methodology for locating small wild Trout streams. I have fished hundreds of these types of streams, and have built an extensive database of good places to fish using this exact method. Some would likely argue that sharing this information even is too much. One prerequisite…If you live in Philadelphia, you must be willing to drive, period. At least 90 minutes, minimum. A 3 or 4 hour radius will greatly expand your possibilities even more so. If you can’t, or aren’t willing to do that, you’re going to struggle just based on the location where you live. Here goes:

1. Locate via some simple Googling, the following three lists published, and regularly updated by the PFBC: 1. Natural Reproduction List. 2. Class A Wild Trout List. 3. Wilderness Trout Streams List. They contain different information, and there is some overlap between them, but it is all useful. They all indicate the county the stream is in, so you can start as close to Philly as possible if you so choose.

2. (Optional, but not necessary. Good for a beginner with this method, but the more successful you get, you’ll find you’ll rely on these less.) Purchase a couple of PA stream guide books. Dwight Landis’s is very good, and my personal favorite, and there’s several other good options out there. Again, some simple Googling will head you in the right direction if you wish to purchase these. They all run about $20-$30.

3. Review the above mentioned lists and books and locate some streams in a given area that you think interest you. Cross reference those streams with a good mapping software. Google Maps works very well for this, and of course, is free. Are the streams on publicly owned land? What are the potential access points? Toggle between topographic and satellite views. Is the stream in a forested area, or is it running through folks’ back yards? How big is the stream? How steep does the terrain look? State and National Forest maps are available online for more information. Kudos to the PGC as they have recently updated and published detailed maps online of every single SGL tract in PA. They’re very useful for helping confirm access and parking locations for streams on SGL.

4. Since you’ll be making a decent drive for any of these outings, pick 3 or 4 potential streams in an area and head out to check them out. This way you have a couple back up plans if you get to a stream and find access problems, or another angler already there. Or if a stream just turns out to be a dud…that’ll happen.

5. Once you’ve fished a few of these streams and located a couple good ones, start to think about what they have in common. Then look for those similar characteristics in other areas using the lists, books, and maps. You’ll find you’ll quickly become pretty good at it. Before long, you’ll start working backwards…Looking at the maps first for good potential spots, then cross referencing with the lists and books…This is when you know you’ve figured it out.

Again, as long as you’re willing to make a bit of a drive from Philly, this WILL work, if you try it.

I'll also add #6...If you try this method, and see it works, don't fish any stream I plan to on the same day. Or if you do, make sure you don't get there before me. :p

Swattie nailed it...

I struggled with finding fishing locations this side of the state when I first moved here - it was very overwhelming, and I had no fishing buddies in the area, and I wasn't a member of this forum. I really had to get out of my comfort zone - exploring a lot of areas solo. Now I really have a sense of my bearings when I'm driving around the Poconos as well. Armed with a couple PA fishing books, topo map, and fishing/map apps on my phone, it makes it much easier.

Another easy way to get started is to look at larger streams/rivers - the Brodhead, the Lehigh River, etc. and look at their tributaries - many of these small mountain tribs have populations of wild trout, and are easy to access where they dump into a river or larger stream.

Jason, I believe you said you only spin fish as well? Likely that creates hesitancy from our fly fishing community here as well with regards to sharing information with you.

Thank you, Swattie. Great breakdown.

Down here in MD, I pretty much rely on #5, and some old biologist reports that aren't even easy to find with google. PA is soooo much easier to find streams with their mapping and listing of wild trout streams.

Jason,

I too, have noticed that you are requesting a lot of information through various posts. Swattie and others have already given you great advice. As has been said before, no one is really going to spoon feed you specific brookie streams as they are fragile fisheries and very special to many of us. In addition to all of the suggestions above, are you a member of Trout Unlimited? If not, you should consider joining. You will learn a lot of great information there, and you will likely make some friends that may be willing to show you around some of their favorite streams for a beer or two afterwards :)

If you need a spoon, stay in Philly and fish Valley.

Interactive trout stream map HERE

Class A wild trout listing HERE which will also tell you if a stream contains brook trout, brown trout, or rainbow trout.

Natural trout reproduction list HERE

You wont need anymore tools or guidance than this, just the willingness to get out there an explore.

My only advice for catching brookies is to cut up and old sock and throw it on a bare hook!

"If you need a spoon, stay in Philly and fish Valley"

Valley isnt in Philly, its in chester county.

Great post by Swattie ^ in post #8 with step-by-step instructions to seek out new fishing places. A must read for all.

Like Swattie posts, I too use many of the electronic/online resources mentioned above almost exclusively in my searches for new places to fish. This point was driven home to me not long ago when I had to clean out my truck to trade it in to buy a new one. It amazed me, in the ten years I owned the truck how many maps, gazetteers, books travel guides, notebooks which stacked up to close to two feet high when I took them out. And I really can't remember the last time I even looked through any of them.

My computer, phone and GPS have replaced all my books and maps for the most part. I can find a location anywhere in the world on an e-map without having to actually physically have the correct map to find the spot I'm looking for at the time. Plus I can view that spot in various street map formats, a topo map, satellite view or street view (360* close-up pic).

From the PFBC site, the "County Guide" map for general fishing and the "Trout Stream Map" for trout are the main map sources I use to find places to fish. After picking out a potential fishing spot I further search out these places on Google Maps which is fantastic. Google maps also shows public lands and parks to assure access to many fishing spots. I can use satellite views to check out the streams themselves and have even picked out riffles, runs and pools for fishing spots from the satellite views.

I use Google "street view" all the time which allows you to virtually drive down the road and check things out. I've "driven" past spots and found places to pull off and park, different signs along the road and checked to see if the land is posted all while sitting at my fishing desk.

When I've picked a spot to explore on Google maps, I will put a pin on it with and it will automatically be available to me on my phone. I can use the driving directions feature on my phone and drive to that exact spot pinned on the map.

After I actually find a good new fishing spot, I will pin it on my master fishing map giving me another place to fish at some future date.

Thinking back on my exploring of new places, I would estimate if I identified and checked out ten potential fishing spots, five will be complete bust for various reasons like private with no access, no good water to fish, etc. Maybe three were fishable but I would not return because they were not very appealing or productive or fun to fish for various reasons. Out of ten places explored one or maybe two, if I'm really lucky, streams fished well, were enjoyable to fish, and are places I might return to another day to fish again.

So given all the work, time spent (I hate to say wasted), and miles travelled by us to find a half decent fishing spot, it's not surprising that many of us do not give up these locations very easily to anyone that asks. Another consideration is many of these places are on private property and/or do not have any public access. I would ask the landowner first if it's alright with them for you post online the directions or gps numbers to their property to tell others about the great fishing opportunities there.

I'm one of those FFers that really do not like to keep returning to the same spots or streams to fish. Exploring new places adds to the anticipation and pleasure of fishing for me, as I'm sure does for many the FFers on this site.

Good finding and good fishing to all!

I used the PAFBC interactive map and overlaid that with topo, satellite and road maps and now have a handful of streams to scout. Driving time will be about 2 hours and I kept the hikes to some of the water to under an hour. I've checked and checked to be sure where I want to go is not posted/private land. Many of the streams run through some game lands so I'm now wondering, do I need to wear something orange so I don't get accidentally shot? I would think a wild fish would see bright orange before I even see the water so that would suck! What other precautions do I need to take regarding venomous snakes? I don't own anything fang-proof to wear unfortunately.

The big woods can be a scary place.... In all seriousness there is no reason to wear orange on gamelands unless there is a firearms season occurring at that time. The firearms bear season, deer season and the early muzzleloader/ senior rifle season are dates that I would look up. They all occur after mid october, with the main firearms season after Thanksgiving. In regards to snakes as it gets later in the summer it is less likely to see rattlesnakes along a stream than during a hot dry spell during late June/ July. They will not attack you, if you encounter one stay 5 feet away and you are perfectly safe. Lots of people enjoy the outdoors and there are very few cases in PA where someone gets bit without attempting to handle the snake.

Many of the streams run through some game lands so I'm now wondering, do I need to wear something orange so I don't get accidentally shot? I would think a wild fish would see bright orange before I even see the water so that would suck!

Its a good idea to wear at least an orange hat on gamelands from September until March. I wouldn't even bother going during rifle deer season (first Monday after thanksgiving and then the 2 weeks following). No, you are not likely to get shot by a hunter but ricochets do happen, especially with a rifle.

Or just go on a Sunday since we have not Sunday hunting in PA.

Agree with much of the last few posts in regard to wearing orange. I do so starting in October through the end of January when fishing on SGL’s…I think it’s actually the law to wear orange on SGL’s during this general time period (I don’t remember the exact dates), even if not hunting. I sometimes do during Spring Gobbler season too, but only if I’m in an area where I expect hunters may be likely. Better to spook a fish, than not spook a hunter.

I don’t fish at all (other than on Sundays) during rifle deer season. Too many people in the woods. Outside of those two weeks, it’s rare to come across a hunter in the woods while fishing. I’ve seen one guy archery hunting once, and one guy during Spring Gobbler. That’s it.

Snakes…The chances of a being bit by a venemous snake in PA are low, without attempting to handle it. That being said, I’ve stepped within a step or two of 3 or 4 rattlers before while fishing. None attempted to strike, or even moved, but be aware they can become locally fairly abundant in some areas. I have 4 or 5 known sightings in one watershed in NC PA for example. If it worries you, a pair of knee high snake gaiters ($50-ish) is a good investment. I have a pair and it’s reassuring when walking through tall ferns or brush where you can’t always see where you’re putting your feet. They’re also good for protecting your waders on small, brushy streams.

Edit: The law is a minimum of 250 square inches of blaze orange, or a blaze orange hat, while on SGL's from November 15th to December 15th if not hunting, except on Sundays.

Back