Names of the runs & holes on Penns.

slackleader

slackleader

Is there a source (book/brochure) for getting the names of the pools, runs and such on Penns from Coburn down to Cherry Run?

slackleader wrote:
Is there a source (book/brochure) for getting the names of the pools, runs and such on Penns from Coburn down to Cherry Run?

I know of no book. Try Google maps to get the lay of the land. Here is some info I found:

The entire scenic stretch between Coburn and Cherry Run is about 15 miles. Famous sections in this stretch include Sand Pool, Broadwater, Rainbow Riffle, The Claybank, Blue Rock Pool and Johnson's Camp Pool. Access in the upper portion of this section is from a road that dead-ends about three miles south of Coburn. Here you can park and access the creek through an old railroad tunnel and abandoned railroad tracks that parallel the water. The railroad can also be reached from Poe Paddy State Park or Ingleby Road. Access becomes easier again at Cherry Run where a road leads to the creek and parallels it down to Weikert and beyond. However, as mentioned, fishing is much less rewarding beginning at Weikert (a few miles below Cherry Run) since the water warms considerably in summer.

Link to source: http://www.troutsource.com/fly-fishing/river/penns-creek

Try to find a copy of this book, kinda pricey though...

http://www.amazon.com/Penns-Creek-Journal-Daniel-Shields/dp/1571880089

I have that book. It is a great book, but it still does NOT name pools and runs.

I've always been curious of this too. I know a couple of them.

Broadwaters - It's a long, slow pool. It is the uppermost pool in the C&R area. From Poe Paddy, when you go through the tunnel (which is currently closed), downstream is a riffle which leads into the Broadwaters. The broadwaters is actually 2 pools separated by a small, inconspicuous light riffle. Commonly referred to as upper and lower pool.

Claybank - I believe is 2 pools below this (which is over half a mile). I'm not sure on this one. But there's a pool with a weedy clay bank on the north shore. I've heard people use the term Claybank for some pool in that area, so I (and a few others who fish with me) started calling this one Claybank, rightly or wrongly.

Rainbow Riffle is used commonly, and it's in that Poe Paddy to Weikert area, so I'm sure I've fished it commonly. But frankly, I don't know which riffle it is!

Other names I've heard (but can't place)

Spinning Wheel. Aumiller's Flats. Butter Rocks. The Splits.

(The Splits I believe is the set of islands just below the Broadwaters. All 3 branches can produce fish and resemble much smaller streams, though the middle branch is best).

pcray: thanks for that info. Meck ID's a couple of the named reaches in his PA Trout Streams/Hatches book (3rd edition), but the locations are vague due to his map scale, nor does he tell us the source of his map. I believe Sparse Grey Hackle may have mentioned some of these names in his 1958 Sports Illustrated article, so the names might be rather old. Other than "Broadwater," the names may now be anachronistic, which explains why no one can shed any light on this topic.

I think Bruce Fisher at Penn's Creek Angler may be a source for this information. He had pictures on his old website that included some of these names, especially Spinning Wheel. I think you can still access the site but he doesn't update it very often.

I agree with PCray's description of Broadwaters and the Splits. After the creek comes back together below the Splits there is a long riffle which leads into what I believe is the Clay Bank hole. I think Clay Bank then dumps into Rainbow Riffle which is highlighted by probably the heaviest riffle in the C&R section. The gradient is fairly steep and the stream pinches pretty narrow in that section. Tough wading through there. RR then dumps into another long slow pool. I think Spinning Wheel is somewhere outside of the C&R section.

Ok, so broadwaters--> splits, got that.

That empties a shalowish riffle, which broadens into a pool, with a nice bend before entering another riffle/good pocket water.

That next riffle is what you're calling rainbow riffle? Makes sense. Love that spot.

What I was calling Clay Bank is then the pool BELOW rainbow riffle, above the next set of islands. You are saying it's the pool above the riffle? I may have this one wrong...

McSneek: thanks for the info on PC Angler. He has photos of the named stream reaches, but no map to accompany them. A map would be nice.

I think a lot of them are called "Posted" now

Thanks for the info all, I too have been fishing these places for a while and don't know the names/locations without a map of some sort. i'll stop in to see Bruce on the way into camp tomorrow.
She still looks a little quick on the flows. May have to hit Spring.

pcray1231 wrote:
Ok, so broadwaters--> splits, got that.

That empties a shallowish riffle, which broadens into a pool, with a nice bend[color=0000FF] that's what I think is the Clay Bank hole[/color] before entering another riffle/good pocket water.

That next riffle is what you're calling rainbow riffle? [color=0000FF]Yes[/color] Makes sense. Love that spot. [color=0000FF]Me too but I rarely get anything out of the deepest, fishiest looking run. [/color]

What I was calling Clay Bank is then the pool BELOW rainbow riffle, above the next set of islands. You are saying it's the pool above the riffle? [color=0000FF]Yes[/color] I may have this one wrong...

I will add then that the hole below that next set of islands you're referring to is the R.B. Winter hole because it's just up from the Fish Commission facility. I think I'm right on this?

slackleader wrote:
Thanks for the info all, I too have been fishing these places for a while and don't know the names/locations without a map of some sort. i'll stop in to see Bruce on the way into camp tomorrow.
She still looks a little quick on the flows. May have to hit Spring.

Hoping it goes down for Friday. If things fall into place at work I may head up for the day.

That book can also be purchased at my place of employment, Appalachian Outdoors. Here is a link to our website: http://www.appoutdoors.com/scs_search_results.htm?search=PENNS+CREEK

I can hook up a discount code for PAflyfish members through PM.

Paul

I think so, yes.

And, according to the Penns Creek Angler pictures, you are correct, claybank is indeed the one above what you are calling Rainbow Riffle. So I was wrong, as I thought it was the next pool down.

That said, also according to those pictures, rainbow riffle has a wire strung above it!!!!!

Alright, upstream of C&R section, pools with names I know:

1. Go UPSTREAM from Poe Paddy parking area. Trail enters stream at the tailout of the "Old Bridge Hole". This one's quite intuitive. :)

Some rather featureless (at least big features, there are plenty of runs), but productive water below this behind along the trail and behind the camps, leads to.

2. Under the trestle - Lykens Pool or Lykens Home Pool. Also pretty obvious.

From there to Poe Paddy CG is more featureless but semi-productive water, a bit of a pool right at the CG, then a little pocket water, then:

3. Long slow pool that starts downstream of Poe Paddy campground and ends just above the mouth of Swift Run, road runs parallel - I've simply heard as the "Poe Paddy Hole". A short riff, then...

4. Mouth of Swift Run enters head of pool --> has a name? It's got to. I've heard it referred to as "Big Bend Hole", but I'm not sure if that's a proper name or just someone describing it. Island at top, and a sand gravel bar downstream of it and you can wade that down fishing on either side. But eventually it gets too deep for wading and the deepest part of the hole can be difficult to reach at times.

This hole has some light pocket water/runs below it, leading to:

*** the below are all better accessed by going through the tunnel, when it's open, so I restarted the #'s.

1. Pool by the camp just upstream from tunnel entrance - I know it has another name, but have heard people call it "tunnel hole".

2. That dumps into a long riffle with some pretty good pocket water, and the C&R/Trophy Trout dividing wire is here. Name? Is this Rainbow Riffle? This slows gradually and dumps into.

3. "Broadwaters - upper pool". Then:

4. Slight flat water-riffle, dumps into:

5. "Broadwaters - lower pool". Dumps into:

6. "The splits". Penns Creek Angler's "Hidden Run" looks like the S Branch to me, but near where the middle branch meets it. South branch is big enough but runs pretty shallow, its mostly a shallow riffle. Middle branch is the best and fishes like a medium sized stream and there is some nice holding water. North branch is really dinky and slow, and maybe even intermittent at times, but has a spot or two, mostly at each end. Branches reconvene into:

7. A riffle, and not a real good one at that, but there's a few small pockets if you look close that can produce. Name? Dumps into:

8. Clay Bank. Has a pocket waterish upper part, then a glide (and a nice little eddy), before entering a slow, deep bend, which dumps into:

9. A shallow riff, then a smallish fast pool or big pocket on a bend, then a longish straight stretch of good pocket water, heavier at the top. This is what you called "Rainbow Riffle"? But Penns Creek Angler's Rainbow Riffle looks nothing like it. Gradually slows and widens into:

10. A long pool that we haven't named yet, but I'm quite confident it has one. It's the one I thought was Clay Bank but was wrong. I never do any good in the upper end, though it looks good. Always a single riser by the rock point sticking up in the middle, that riser is pretty reliable! Tail is wide with a few deeper runs, and can be good during hatches when Penns is down and wadable. Dumps into:

11. Another set of islands without real good fishing in any branch. Reconvenes into:

12. A longish riffle. Name? Which broadens into:

13. Winters Pool - Deep and fast at the top, LONG and slow below that. I assume the camp near the bottom is or was once owned by a man named Winters?

Damn Pat, wont have to stop in to see Bruce or buy a book. Good deal!

pcray: Thanks for analyzing the pics. Now I just need to print out your text and match it to a google map and I'm all set.

Slack: I hope you don't mind me saying so, but that photo of your wife or daughter that you use for your avatar is really nice. Is he fishing the "Broad Water"?

pcray1231 wrote:

And, according to the Penns Creek Angler pictures, you are correct, claybank is indeed the one above what you are calling Rainbow Riffle. So I was wrong, as I thought it was the next pool down.

That said, also according to those pictures, rainbow riffle has a wire strung above it!!!!! [color=0000FF]Which is why I may not be right on that one.[/color]

2. That dumps into a long riffle with pocket water, and the C&R/Trophy Trout dividing wire is here. Name? Is this Rainbow Riffle? [color=0000FF]Could be - definitely a wire there. [/color]

6. "The splits". Penns Creek Angler's "Hidden Run" looks like one of the branches to me. Middle branch is the best and fishes like a medium sized stream and there is some nice holding water. North branch is really dinky and slow, and maybe even intermittent at times, but has a spot or two, mostly at each end. South branch is big enough but runs pretty shallow, its mostly a shallow riffle. Branches reconvene into: [color=0000FF]Come on - everyone knows that middle branch is devoid of fish and should be left alone.[/color] ;-) [color=0000FF]South branch is usually too shallow to bother with. I had a great afternoon on that slow north branch once. Thought I was going after a dink I saw rising in that slow water. Boy was I surprised.[/color]

8. Clay Bank. Has a pocket waterish upper part, then a glide (and a nice little eddy), before entering a slow, deep bend, which dumps into: [color=0000FF]My biggest Penns Creek brown came from the pocket waterish upper part.[/color]

10. A long pool that we haven't named yet, but I'm quite confident it has one. It's the one I thought was Clay Bank but was wrong. I never do any good in the upper end, though it looks good. Always a single riser by the rock sticking up in the middle! Tail is wide with a few deeper runs, and can be good during hatches when Penns is down and wadable. [color=0000FF]I witnessed an incredible caddis hatch on evening in this pool - really the first time I saw a big time hatch on the stream and just how many fish appear when "it's on."[/color]
13. Winters Pool - Deep and fast at the top, LONG and slow below that. I assume the camp near the bottom is or was once owned by a man named Winters? [color=0000FF]Have done well in this pool on occasion. I assume the name has something to do with R.B. Winter.[/color]

Excellent job guys. Your notes line up with my understanding of all names. Rainbow Riffle definately has always been the riffle below Clay Banks for us. The riffle at the top of the project water does not have a name known to me; we always call it "Top of the Project Water" or "The Wire".

Well, Penns is one of my favorites. One of the few where the surroundings feel like a backwoods brookie stream, but it's big water, with big fish, with tons of complicated hatches and difficult fish. It literally takes all of the aspects of fly fishing I love and combines them in one place.

It also takes all the aspects I hate, but that's part of the allure too. It's rarely in prime condition. It's far to get to from everywhere as it's back miles of dirt roads, and the roads/tunnels/trails/parking areas always seem to be closed, so you're pissed when you finally get there and find it's not in prime condition. Even if it looks good, it completely turns off for large portions of every day, and those portions aren't always so predictable (and again, leaving isn't an option because you really committed to come here, so you try to wait it out). The bugs don't do what they're supposed to, and either do the fish. It's hard to wade to boot. And if you do have a good night, between the walk out and the drive, it's well after 11 by the time you get back to wherever you're staying, and a buddy is saying that it's even better at first light and asking you to join. You just look at your watch and wander whether you shoulda just stayed......

I made that list to supply the names I knew, and hope that someone else can supply some of the one's I don't. It'd be nice to put names I know with spots I know.

McSneek wrote:
I think Bruce Fisher at Penn's Creek Angler may be a source for this information. He had pictures on his old website that included some of these names, especially Spinning Wheel. I think you can still access the site but he doesn't update it very often.

I agree with PCray's description of Broadwaters and the Splits. After the creek comes back together below the Splits there is a long riffle which leads into what I believe is the Clay Bank hole. I think Clay Bank then dumps into Rainbow Riffle which is highlighted by probably the heaviest riffle in the C&R section. The gradient is fairly steep and the stream pinches pretty narrow in that section. Tough wading through there. RR then dumps into another long slow pool. I think Spinning Wheel is somewhere outside of the C&R section.

I think Bruce still lives along the creek in Weikert. If you stop by I'm sure he wouldn't describing the named spots.

Back