Name this nymph?

henrydavid

henrydavid

This is a fly that I found attached to a tree along the creek. I tied it on and caught a large brown with it, then shortly afterward lost it. In the photo it appears to have a tail but I think it is either the thread coming undun or some debri, grass, that I had on my fingers. I do not recall it having a tail.
Nymph

I'd say it's juts a typical style Euro nymph. Perhaps some folks more current on this type of thing can give you a better answer.

It looks to me to be some version of an Iron Lotus - a competition style euro nymph designed by Lance Egan. The tail is probably a few fibers of CDL (Coq De Leon) which are generally tied in very sparse on these types of patterns.

Thank you for the response. There was no tail on the fly when I first tied it on, a 24 inch brown had chewed on it and I believe the thread was coming undun. I'm guessing some form of a brown bodied caddis larva nymph.

You found somebody else's fly hanging in a tree....decided to tie it on your own line....then caught a large brown. Assuming you used the fly in the same stretch where you found it.

Great story!

dc410 wrote:
It looks to me to be some version of an Iron Lotus - a competition style euro nymph designed by Lance Egan. The tail is probably a few fibers of CDL (Coq De Leon) which are generally tied in very sparse on these types of patterns.

Agree with dc ^

It's someone's version of an Iron Lotus or Frenchie type fly. They work, but are not some magic fly. They have weight and get down quickly. Below is a pic of version close to the one you found.

Attachments

• Frenchie.jpg
    Frenchie.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 6
I agree..it is just a typical style euro nymph. I bet it had a coq de leon tail. Looks like a pheasant tail body with wire and some ice dub.

Nothing special and very easy to tie. Simple nymphs catch as many fish as complex nymphs most of the time.

This creek is relatively small and very bushy and tree lined. I've been finding flies in the trees and brush and save them in my fly boxes. Monday late afternoon after the streamer action cooled down I was looking for a nymph and tied that one on. A large brown took it and then a large rainbow, I netted the brown but the bow shook the hook, some time after I got it snagged in a tree and was unable to retrieve it. I know it wasn't the same stretch I had found it on. That's the story.

henrydavid wrote:
This creek is relatively small and very bushy and tree lined. I've been finding flies in the trees and brush and save them in my fly boxes. Monday late afternoon after the streamer action cooled down I was looking for a nymph and tied that one on. A large brown took it and then a large rainbow, I netted the brown but the bow shook the hook, some time after I got it snagged in a tree and was unable to retrieve it. I know it wasn't the same stretch I had found it on. That's the story.
HD don’t worry as the next guy will find it and catch more. You’re working your way towards tying your own.

I could tie and mail you a bunch I'm no time.....except I'd use different tailing material......a regular barbed hook and not a barbless jig hooks.......and......well that's it lol.

To me it's just a beat up flashback pheasant tail.
6ukaG8l.jpg

My first thought was BH pheasant tail. (with a peacock thorax: which is how I tie mine)

They are probably more common than euro nymphs.

Plus its virtually identical looking.

Back