Nail clippers....for those who like options & good tools

Another $50 clipper ?

Maybe for clipping nails, but I've had more than a few pair of "nail" clippers used for fishing fall apart at the most inopportune times because they typically consist of three parts and the post that holds the lever in place wears out.

One piece "fishing" nippers that you just squeeze don't have this problem regardless of the price point.

Speaking of price point:

Another $50 clipper ?

$50 would be cheap, take a look at price tag on the Orvis, Abel, Hatch & Simms nippers... :eek:

This may be the middle ground of an upscale nipper without the ridiculous price...

Back before the "super" nipper craze, all I used was the basic black Orvis nippers that were made in Japan.

They worked great on tippet down to 8X, they were small, lasted a reasonably long time and if they got dull; a few swipes with my EZE Lap hook sharpener did the trick.

One they stared making them in China they sucked and I moved on.

The secret to ALL of these overpriced nippers is to BUY extra sets of blades IN ADVANCE because IF they redesign them like Abel, Hatch & Orvis did, you may not be able to get them replaced...

And all they will offer you is a discount on the new latest & greatest pair...

I know because I asked... ;)

This may be the middle ground of an upscale nipper without the ridiculous price...

Those things are pretty, but are 2" long and obviously not designed to hang on a zinger...

Back before the "super" nipper craze, all I used was the basic black Orvis nippers that were made in Japan.

They worked great on tippet down to 8X, they were small, lasted a reasonably long time and if they got dull; a few swipes with my EZE Lap hook sharpener did the trick.

One they stared making them in China they sucked and I moved on.

The secret to ALL of these overpriced nippers is to BUY extra sets of blades IN ADVANCE because IF they redesign them like Abel, Hatch & Orvis did, you may not be able to get them replaced...

And all they will offer you is a discount on the new latest & greatest pair...

I know because I asked... ;)
Good advise.👏👏
The redesign and obsolete replacement parts r money in the bank...FOR SURE!!
....and sooner, rather than later.

ive been using the same revlon nail clipper i stole from sister back in the 80s.
Had one like that on my bag for decades. Just lost it last year during the jam. Apparently they last longer than the zingers.

I used nail clippers for years before i got fly fishing nippers.

How do you sharpen nippers? I have a pair that doesn't work very well. They seem like they take a lot of force to squeeze. Maybe I am losing grip strength as I have gotten older.

I use to touch up my old Orvis nippers with my hook hone if I noticed nicks on the blades ,which happens when old eyes misjudge the hook eye for the knot... ;)

How do you sharpen nippers? I have a pair that doesn't work very well. They seem like they take a lot of force to squeeze. Maybe I am losing grip strength as I have gotten older.
Yo riv - a fast way to sharpen is to use a Dremel with a sharpening stone. I guess you could do the same thing with a regular drill, but the spinning stone would be bigger.

Back