N. Branch Susquehanna

B

buckspa

Hello
Planning a half to full day float/fish trip on N. Branch Susquehanna at the end of June...Wyoming County area. We will have rafts and/or canoes depending on what I gather about flows.

I wanted to reach out for some info on put in/take out, and anything else to consider. Thanks.

buckspa wrote:
Hello
Planning a half to full day float/fish trip on N. Branch Susquehanna at the end of June...Wyoming County area. We will have rafts and/or canoes depending on what I gather about flows.

I wanted to reach out for some info on put in/take out, and anything else to consider. Thanks.

Full day floats:

Meshoppen > Tunkhannock (14mi.)

Tunkhannock > Falls (10mi)

Half day floats:

Tunkhannock > Whites Ferry (7mi)

Falls > Apple Tree (5.5mi)

All easy in and out launches and all good fishing areas.

Here's a Map: http://www.imrivers.org/dechr/pubpage3/wordmap.php?blogid=susquehannagreenway

Thank you. How is the current/flow? Suitable for rafts or are we better off in canoes?

buckspa wrote:
Thank you. How is the current/flow? Suitable for rafts or are we better off in canoes?

The River is generally on the slow side in most places, but it really depends on the flow at the end of June.

Keep an eye on this gage Meshoppen

Afish gave you a great list really i would say that the wind is the biggest factor in those areas it can get pretty strong and it will push you up stream forcing you to paddle down,I would do the canoe thing.Water level wise its a pretty deep area and dragging should not be an issue.Add mahoppeny to tunkhannock to that list.

Rafts & pontoons will have a more difficult time fighting the headwinds. I personally like the shorter floats, there is too much good water that gets bypassed on longer floats. I'm weird but I could spend an entire 2 days on a single mile of the Susky.

Finding launch and out points can be tricky, there are a few spots through that area that can be accessed which are not public ramps. Some are private campground launches, pay to launch, some are public but not well known such as at the mouth of Bowman's creek behind an airport just outside of Tunkhannock.

I also know some public access spots for wading where I have seen crews pull kayaks out. Maybe narrow down your choices a bit and take it from there. The further up from Apple Tree Launch the more remote you will be. There is so much good smallie water it's really just a matter of choice.

You might consider doing an over night trip, there are a few spots to camp on islands as well as private camp grounds. I did 2 over nighters in the past 2 years. One in a canoe and one on my pontoon. Canoe was the better ride and more gear storage. The pontoon was fine except on dead water and the larger sections with back eddies, it was like paddling through mud even with a light head wind.

Back