Mystic Rods

albatross

albatross

Just acquired the Mystic Reaper in a 9 ft 4 wt. Seems like a great value so far. Anyone else with a Mystic rod?

I have a Mystic 9'3" 5wt and love it! The craftsmanship on Mystic rods is that of a rod atleast twice it's price. JMO

I have a reaper 9ft 7wt. I only like it so so. I bought it on impulse when I broke another rod while in Erie. There's some weird imperfection in the butt section materials that I did not notice when I first bought it and now it bugs me every time I look at it.

8'3" 3wt m-series, sweet, soft,yet has no problem throwing line.

I am friends with the local rep and have fished some of his rods. They are very nice rods, especially for the price. There are a lot of small rod companies like this but one good thing about Mystic is that if they do not make it, they will build it for you. The blanks are made overseas but they are wrapped here in the USA.

I love two weights, and have owned a number of them... I agree with this review of a bunch of two weights: the 7'3" mystic 2w is just great, and it is also very light:

http://www.flyfishohio.com/2-Weight_Shoot-Out/2-Weight_Shoot-Out.htm

i have the same one- 9' 4wt- I am very happy with it- It is just very comfortable. and the price is key.

I'll probably be the bad guy here but I looked at their site a little while back. I will also say that I have never cast one. Based on the MSRP and $50 warranty / repair fee, there's probably 10 other rods that would interest me before a Mystic would. just something to think about. For $400, there's a ton of rods out there and most have cheaper warranty service. Echo, Scott, St Croix, Orvis, Sage, Winston and other all have models in or under that price point.

Krayfish, now I have not had to use warranty with mystic but I did with st croix, and that was $30 shipped to me, no need for me to ship the tip I broke to them. And I have heard a few stories of guys getting thier warranty rods back with in a few days of calling inquiring about an issue.

Now, see any business's actions as you will, but even say $20 to ship a rod 4 piece from say Michigan to Pennsylvania, for a small company maybe that extra $30 covers the cost of the blank at the companies cost, they will still be out the rest of the materials, and labor to build it. And for a small company a few warrenties in a bad month of sales can be determental.

Just how I see it. And peso ally have yet to have any rod fail as of manufacturing defect. And I'm up to three allready...

I'm not questioning the company's business practices nor am I interested in warranty repairs threatening the solvency of the company.

I'm saying that their repair rate of $50 is as high as any rod company in the market. I could see Scott or Thomas & Thomas charging that rate for them rolling and fitting a custom tip for your rod. Sage isn't cheap at $40 but the quality of work is fantastic. I've had 4-6 repaired by Sage over the last 26+ years.

I haven't had a rod break from defect......except 2 Cabelas models. Once in 85 I got my first graphite rod in the mail from Cabelas. It broke at the ferrule while casting the very first time out. Returned and got a Cortland from Bob Clouser. Fast forward to 2010 when I bought another Cabelas model. I met Jdaddy at the Tully one evening. Strung up the rod, pulled line out and the top 18" of the rod snapped off. Cabelas was nice to deal with but it's safe to say I won't buy another from them.

If I'm spending $300-400 on a rod, I'll be damned if I'm also going to agree to $50 warranty service (should I need it).

What does TFO charge, $25 and you get a new rod? Redington might be $30, Sage Scott and St Croix are $40 or less. How do you think the Mystic would perform against TFO bvk, Scott A4, Winston passport or St Croix legend elite? I'll take the bigger name for quality of finish, materials and performance. Most of the models listed are actually cheaper too.

I fished my new 9ft 4wt Reaper Saturday the 13th on the Little J. I was pleased with the rod.

My rod was $150 delivered. I didn't factor warranty into the decision. This thread does beg the question though, why do we anglers seem to want to pre-pay for the rods we will break? I'd rather get my rods cheaper and be personally responsible when (not if) I break them.

I have owned about a dozen two weights, currently have an echo, st croix legend ultra and avid, and the mystic. The mystic is in imo a league above even very good rods such as the echo or legend ultra. I am not worried about the cost for a warranty repair, if I pay over $300 for a premium rod I want it to be better ...

The mystic is in imo a league above even very good rods such as the echo or legend ultra. I am not worried about the cost for a warranty repair, if I pay over $300 for a premium rod I want it to be better

Same here. IMO my Mystic M- series is not only better than most rods in its price range, it far exceeds them in fit, finish and performance. This includes a few rods that cost twice as much.

Choice. One of the things that make this a great country.

I own a Mystic as well as an Echo.... I can tell you hands down the Mystic (I own the M Series) is head and shoulders above the Echo in just about every way and feels much lighter in the hand.

I have been an Orvis guy for most of my rod buying years and have recently become a Mystic fan as well.

I know this is an old post, but no need to start another one. Bought a Mystic, M series, 9' 3", 4 wt. Reading here, led be to think a longer rod, on a smaller creek, would be a good thing and it truly is IMO. I really like the rod, good line control and it will cast short or long with ease. Tried several by different makers and price ranges above and below, but kept coming back to the Mystic. Normally fish with a 6" or 7 ' 6", but found the 9' 3" was perfect in small, trapy areas. Glad I read all those old posts you all made. :)

Jim

Enjoy Jim.

I think I'll take my Mystic Reaper 9ft 4wt out to play on the Little J tomorrow...

Yeah I hqve to say my m-series 3wt has det the standard of what i want in a rod's action. That rod with the rio trout lt wf line is in my mind perfection. The sad part is im having a helard time finding a 5wt thats that same full flex slow action. I bought a 5/6wt glass blank and its more like a 7wt but its a lot faster than that 3wt. When I get the handle finished and the reel seat on I can fullybsay if I think its too fast but i can also over line it to slow it down again....

But all and all, that 3wt it my personal wet dream of a set up!

I have an old Orvis 5 wt line that seems to be the perfect set up with the rod for me. I don't think they make it anymore, but the first few feet are alternating black and white sections that serve as a strike indicator. When you cast, it looks like one of those old Charlie Chaplin movies. :)

Jim

Back