My wife wants to learn to fly fish.

• Thread starter REDNECK_FLYFISHER
  • Start date
If your wife is showing interest I would strongly recommend taking her someplace where she will definitely catch fish. Nothing sours interest in a new fly fisher faster than not catching fish.

They don't have to be trout, just a fish to put a bend in the rod and get her some action. Quite a while ago my wife and I went to YNP for a week sightseeing and second week was on the Madison for fishing. We booked two half days with a guide and I told him I could handle myself without any of his help but I wanted my wife to catch fish.

He rigged her up with an indicator and a nymph and over the course of four hours probably hooked thirty whitefish and landed twenty of them. She had a great time. The second day the guide went to more trouty water and she caught two nice browns about 15" and lost a big rainbow that ran under the boat and almost broke the rod I'd loaned her before it broke the tippet.

Getting your wife some good casting in instruction is important but putting a bend in the rod will really make her smile.

Attachments

• Secret stream rainbow.jpg
    Secret stream rainbow.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 4
I think it is great that your wife want's to do this! I have taught women fly fishing and fly tying. My experience has been that women are a lot more patient and easier to teach than most men. Reason,women don’t have that macho attitude. They pay attention a little better then most men. As for your wife. Try to forget she is your wife. Meaning,you may say something on the negative side on the way she is handling instructions more so because she is your wife than someone who is not? Good luck

I'm pretty sure she wants to learn because she wants to spend more quality time with you. I'm pretty sure she is not interested in women's groups, casting instructors, fishing schools. What's the big deal, get her a rod and take her fishing. Don't make it more then it is. She will pick it up just fine. I wish my wife would go fishing with me. Your a lucky man.

Back