My wife wants to learn to fly fish.

• Thread starter REDNECK_FLYFISHER
  • Start date
R

REDNECK_FLYFISHER

Last night as I was tying up A few flies my wife came in and told me she wants to learn to fly fish this year. She goes with me fishing about A half dozen times A year but she will sit on the side of A stream and dunk some worms. She has never waded A stream and never held A fly rod. I have heard A few guys in the past say of the horrors of teaching their wives to fly fish. I can see the good and bad of this but was curious if any of you out there have ever taught their wives to fly fish?

Ive been working on teaching my girlfriend how to fish. We got her all the gear. She can cast very well and has no problem catching fish. She picked it up pretty easily actually. Shes just not super into it. She'd rather just walk along the stream while I fish. Shes much more interested in deer hunting than fishing. I wish you better luck since your wife shows more interest. Get her casting a rod you already have to see what shes most comfortable with then go from there.

There are numerous events in PA to teach women flyfishing.

And there are several womens flyfishing groups in PA.

Depending on where you live, there might be something close to you.

Many people are good at flyfishing. But the percentage of those who are good at teaching flyfishing is much smaller.

And that is true with many things besides flyfishing. In sports, in the working world, etc.

My wife goes with me all the time but only has fly fished once. She is also expressing an increased interest in trying to learn the sport. Taking her out this summer to teach her more. If she takes to it, I'll show her even more. As you know fly fishing is a process sport.

My best advice is make it not serious and fun. Hooks them every time.

Patience, if you're showing her the ropes the focus will be on her fishing not you.

Just be careful about acting too much like an instructor. Sometimes it's best to let new fly fisher men or women be on the water and learn from their own mistakes. Silence and tranquility is what draws most people, not a lecture!!

Does anyone else notice that there are very few women in fly fishing here in PA, and maybe the east coast as a whole? It seems like there are more women that fly fish out west, or at least my instagram feed leads me to believe there are!!!

Be careful what you wish for...

Before we were married, I taught my bride-to-be the basics of the sport. But I forget to also teach her my bad habits, such as impatience, my hotfoot (need to cover a lot of water), etc. The result was that she was outfishing me in relatively short order, which has kind of a blow to my Inner Guy... Then, after a while, she decided she didn't really care that much for it and did not want to go with me any more. I told her I was crushed, but I'd get over it....:)

So, if you teach her to flyfish, be sure to also teach her all the things you do wrong. In the long run, you'll feel better about it, believe me..

My best advice is to let someone else that is accustomed to teaching teach her. I am a terrible teacher. My wife is a great teacher. I tried to teach her archery and failed miserably. I got her some archery lessons and she was soon correcting my terrible self taught archery habits. She has expressed a bit of interest in fly fishing and I have her going to a fly fishing clinic at the sportsmans club in march. I will also get her some private lessons afterwards. That way she can learn the from someone other than me. I have found it is better to pay to have her get proper instruction than to learn the wrong way from me.

Never tried teaching my wife to fly fish. I'd rather teach her how to clean fish.

How does she react when you try to teach her other things? If she doesn't take your direction well at other things then just hire someone.

My wife is the most patient person I have ever met. I am the impatient hothead. I always tell people I am not A good teacher and usually try to teach anyone anything. When we met I did teach her with hunting and it went well. Except for the fact in 6 years she still hasn't shot A deer yet. One of my biggest problems is that I am self taught fly fisher . I picked up my first fly rod 36 years ago at the ago of 15 and didn't know anyone who fly fished and I developed A lot of bad habits, some I still have. Just wasn't sure if I should try to teach her or take her to A fly shop to learn. I have no doubt that either way she will be out fishing me in no time.

Here is the solution. IMHO.

---------------------------------------------------------
TCO State College Intro to Fly Fishing Schools

DATES: March 26th | April 23rd | May 21st | June 4th | July 9th | August 13th

Amidea Daniel Instructor: April 23rd | May 21st | June 4th

Cost: $100

Time: 9am - 4pm

Amidea’s passion in life is outdoor education. She has traveled and fished with George all over the country and has been influenced by many of the same fly fishing personalities as her husband. Amidea has many outdoor pursuits including painting, photography and of course fly fishing. Her latest outdoor pursuit will be introducing her daughter, Evangeline & son Logan to the wonders of the outdoor world. Amidea’s enthusiasm and passion for fly fishing and its resources are unparalleled and her fever is contagious for anyone spending the day with her.

-----------------------------------------------------

Amidea would be a terrific teacher, I'm sure.

$100? That's an incredible bargain. A real opportunity.

I recommend signing up soon. Those might fill up quickly.

I would also spend the money for someone else to teach my wife ANYTHING.my hair is already falling out.

You can do this provided you have patience... I've been teaching my S.O. fly fishing over the last few years. Some things she picks up quickly, other things not as fast. And you will have to adjust accordingly.

My girl picked up mending in about ten minutes... I've seen guys who are long time flyfishers struggle to no end with this. Also tying flies was a breeze. Rowing the boat has not gone as smoothly. She may however, be having a little laugh at my expense with that.

I'll add this; if she isn't getting the technique as you describe it, describing it louder will probably not help much. Good Luck!

Buy a wading staff for her. Trying to learn fly fishing on a slippery stream can end it quickly. I've been through this.

outsider wrote:
Buy a wading staff for her. Trying to learn fly fishing on a slippery stream can end it quickly. I've been through this.

I would recommend a pond with plenty of casting room and blue gills. For me they have always been eager even with less then perfect presentations.

nomad_archer wrote:
I would recommend a pond with plenty of casting room and blue gills. For me they have always been eager even with less then perfect presentations.

Good advice.^

This time of year bluegills may not be readily available so some backyard casting practice would be a good start.

For the basics, maybe a class would be better. Check local TU chapters and fly shops for classes. We have a couple of women flyfishing groups in NJ - maybe there is one near you. I find women generally pick up fly fishing quicker than men since they assume they don't know the sport and listen.

After that, fishing with someone not as intense (could be women, kids, friends) means taking it easy. Tend to go in better weather and fishing conditions and fish for a limited time. Combine it with a nice lunch or dinner and you will do fine. The majority of women aren't into dawn to dusk fishing in any weather and just gulping down a Slim Jim and a beer when you are hungry.

I personally think it's best to have someone else teach her. Teaching one's spouse anything often has many different layers of complications built in that's often unrelated to whatever is being taught. But if you were the one to teach her I would pretend like she was your boss' wife and make sure you were extra polite and patient.

Back